News Forum - UK exports to Japan slump after ‘landmark’ free trade deal

Thaiger

UK exports to Japan have slumped after a “landmark” free-trade deal exacerbated an already awful situation. Sold as Britain’s first major free-trade agreement since Brexit, the deal with Japan has been an (un)expected and abject failure. Trade between Britain and Japan has actually got worse since the deal was signed. Trade secretary at the time, Liz Truss – then still believed by some outside the Conservative to be to be sane – inked a “historic” deal with Japan in October 2020. It was a “landmark moment for Britain” that would boost trade by billions of pounds and fuel the UK’s […]

The story UK exports to Japan slump after ‘landmark’ free trade deal as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A 3% decrease according to the source. Is that a slump? Also, it appears there are bigger decreases evident with other countries not connected to Brexit, e.g. Malaysia. 

Is this reflective of fundamentals tied to an historically weak yen or is this more of an opportunistic anti-UK hit job? Just wondering, just wondering 🧐

• Like 3

It’s not even half a billion, what with the current state of affairs and the energy situation, it’s a mere drop in the ocean. Talk about trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BigHewer said:

A 3% decrease according to the source. Is that a slump? Also, it appears there are bigger decreases evident with other countries not connected to Brexit, e.g. Malaysia. 

Is this reflective of fundamentals tied to an historically weak yen or is this more of an opportunistic anti-UK hit job? Just wondering, just wondering 🧐

Anti-UK, anti-Brexit hit job to some extent, the general trends are not much different to other (EU and non-EU) countries. The problem with the UK is that is has become too much of service based economy with not enough to service.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

This political editorial has nothing to do with Thailand and doesn't belong here at all.  I find myself coming to this site less and less because the articles have nothing to do with my interests. 

6 hours ago, BBY said:

It’s not even half a billion, what with the current state of affairs and the energy situation, it’s a mere drop in the ocean. Talk about trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.  

This is where people have now become so enameled to what figures actually mean.

1 million seconds is 11.57 days. 

1 billion seconds is 31.5 YEARS.

So have a think about that regarding your drop in the ocean sentiment. 

23 minutes ago, JMJM said:

This political editorial has nothing to do with Thailand and doesn't belong here at all.  I find myself coming to this site less and less because the articles have nothing to do with my interests. 

Brexiteer does not want to be reminded of what he voted for.

6 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Anti-UK, anti-Brexit hit job to some extent, the general trends are not much different to other (EU and non-EU) countries. The problem with the UK is that is has become too much of service based economy with not enough to service.

And Brexit fixed that how?

On 11/27/2022 at 1:24 PM, BigHewer said:

We were promised our own trade agreements after Brexit would increase trade with these countries. Turns out the exact opposite is true. Its the same with the EU trade agreement and the Australian trade agreement. 

Brexit has screwed the UK for decades to come. And no-one can give a legitimate benefit from it.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

This is where people have now become so enameled to what figures actually mean.

1 million seconds is 11.57 days. 

1 billion seconds is 31.5 YEARS.

So have a think about that regarding your drop in the ocean sentiment. 

Sorry, still feel the same. It’s not even half a billion and the expected income from the windfall tax on oil companies is expected to amount to 30 Billion. 

20 minutes ago, BBY said:

Sorry, still feel the same. It’s not even half a billion and the expected income from the windfall tax on oil companies is expected to amount to 30 Billion. 

Why do we need a windfall tax on oil companies?

Oh yeah its because the economy is screwed because of Brexit.

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Why do we need a windfall tax on oil companies?

Oh yeah its because the economy is screwed because of Brexit.

Utter rubbish. You didn’t notice the pandemic then, and the years of dirty investment within the oil companies, Probably Brexit that has caused so much rain and Global warming. Not saying that I agree with all that Brexit brings, but I certainly don’t blame it for all that goes wrong in the world as you seem to do.

Last comment from me on this subject, you are entitled to your own opinion. 

4 minutes ago, BBY said:

Utter rubbish. You didn’t notice the pandemic then, and the years of dirty investment within the oil companies, Probably Brexit that has caused so much rain and Global warming. Not saying that I agree with all that Brexit brings, but I certainly don’t blame it for all that goes wrong in the world as you seem to do.

Usual comment from a Brexiteer. It's the pandemic. It's the oil companies fault. Don't blame me. It's nothing to do with Brexit.

I'm leaving now because you are making me feel bad.

Under Brexit we had already established trade deal with Japan. This effort was to repair the damage caused by Brexit - it has patently failed. There ill be more to come from this. Japanese car manufacturers used the UK as an important point of entry to the EU. As time passes it will be more and more difficult to justify their presence in the UK ... unless the UK star=ts to rejoin=n and brings down trade obstacles with the EU.

Covid and world inflation are universal problems - the Brexit cliche of trying to blame anything else but Brexit is looking more and more risible everyday.

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BBY said:

An opinion is something based on reason and evidence - there is none of that is respect of justifying Brexit as the post above shows the Brexiteer response is a mixture of deflection, denial and conspiracy theory

• Like 1