News Forum - Police go after transgender sex workers, urge them not to damage Pattaya’s tourism image

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Thanks for exposing yet another anti-foreigner myth. What will the Thai/Chinese/Indian/Russian bashers do now? Watch this space..............😃

Except it’s not a myth. I know as a supporter of the CCP you have been brainwashed in to believing what you are told and read in the controlled media. Try travelling to Thailands tourists spots and stay for a while and decide for yourself. Oh, sorry, you can’t can you. 

On 11/24/2022 at 1:03 PM, Soidog said:

Well either you are lucky Marc or you don’t spend as much time here as I do. Back in March I was in Phuket and just outside Karon heading to Patong near the roundabout there was a roadblock involving around 20 police. Without fail, Thais were waved through or simply not stopped and there was a line of foreigners lining up to pay the fine at a small booth set up. I was stopped along with a friend of mine. I was ok as I had my license. My friend didn’t have his international driving permit and he was fined 500 baht. It’s certainly not forum lore, I’ve seen it many times with my own eyes. The same was happening outside the police station on beach road near Soi 7 in Pattaya. Locals were waved through or not targeted while the police were literally running across the road to stop foreigners who were driving on the beach side of the road. I have also seen the same thing happening up at the Dolphin roundabout. There is a small police cabin on the left of 2nd road. The policeman there was only stopping foreigners.  Nothing forum lore about it Marc. I know you have a need to try and balance the debate against what you perceive as Thai bashing, but the above are facts. 

Marc lives an enchanted life in Thai tinted glasses... and judging from his posts has never spent any major time observing a traffic stop in tourist areas... I set out to see if it was truly a forum myth that farang are targeted at stops by spending a couple of hours at different stops over the last few months... while there were more Thais stopped than farangs the percentages were that farangs were stopped close to 90% of the time vs Thais at close to 20% of the time... and that farangs paid more fines than Thais for the same offenses... 

46 minutes ago, Skip said:

Marc lives an enchanted life in Thai tinted glasses... and judging from his posts has never spent any major time observing a traffic stop in tourist areas... I set out to see if it was truly a forum myth that farang are targeted at stops by spending a couple of hours at different stops over the last few months... while there were more Thais stopped than farangs the percentages were that farangs were stopped close to 90% of the time vs Thais at close to 20% of the time... and that farangs paid more fines than Thais for the same offenses... 

I’ve never tried to set a figure against it, but I wouldn’t disagree with your findings  seeming about right.

When I was last in Pattaya and driving to the right of beach road to avoid the police standing outside of the police station, a policeman almost got run over in his efforts to stop me. I was on a hired motorbike. I was wearing a helmet and not speeding. As I went by and he turned to walk back across the road, two bikes went by not wearing helmets and the guy did absolutely nothing. It was clear that that day, he had been sent out to stop foreigners in the hope of catching them without an IDP. It’s shameless targeting rather than genuine law enforcement. 

It’s baffling to me how anyone who has spent more than a few weeks in a tourist area and used a motorbike hasn’t seen this. 

On 11/23/2022 at 6:38 PM, Thaiger said:

Police are going after Pattaya’s transgender sex workers. Last night, a team of Pattaya Police and Tourist Police inspected Beach Road, arrested 36 suspected transgender sex workers, and took them to the station for identity recording. The inspection’s leader, Police Lieutenant Colonel Pitchaya Khiaoplueng, stressed to the suspects that they could not loiter on the beach and offer sexual services to people walking by because it was against Thailand’s prostitution law, and damaged Pattaya’s tourism reputation.  All suspects were released, and Pattaya police pledged to continue their crackdown on prostitution every day, The Pattaya News reported. The inspection came after […]

The story Police go after transgender sex workers, urge them not to damage Pattaya’s tourism image as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Police & Ladyboys same level of image to me. Not much difference

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Police & Ladyboys same level of image to me. Not much difference

At least ladyboys provide a service to some tourists!  Police only want to intimidate and collect some baht under the table, never seem to "serve and protect" the tourists

• Like 3

Why target the ladyboys? ('Transgender' is inappropriate in a Thai context.) Not to apologise for their misbehaviors, but lets be honest, it's a myth they are so prominent, among Thai sex workers, you can equivocate the two. Disproportionately they are involved in sex work, but only a small % of visibly female/'female' sex workers, are kathoey. I swear anything about the subject in the news, is a neo-Orientalism, they aren't that prominent in the Thai mind, and they don't face that much stigma

Edited by Karolyn

my experience in phuket 10+ years ago....

riding motorbike in patong come to checkpoint.  they ask for my license (i have car/motorcycle).

they tell me i'm getting a ticket for no helmet (which is fine, my bad) and want my license. I gave them

my car license (didn't own a car).  he said he is keeping it and i will get it back once i go the police

station to pay fine.  i drive on the way to station.  we stop and my gf looks at ticket.

it says i was speeding and ran a stop sign ! helmet wasn't mentioned.  i decided f them and went back

home to chiang rai.

fast forward a few years, i go to renew my car license hoping it's not flagged in system and they say i've never had one.  555

they issue one immediately for me without taking the written/driving test.  TIT

good advice on dash cam, i'm looking on lazada now. 

wonder if my license is still in a drawer at patong police station?

Edited by Jerrygarcia

1 hour ago, Jerrygarcia said:

my experience in phuket 10+ years ago....

riding motorbike in patong come to checkpoint.  they ask for my license (i have car/motorcycle).

they tell me i'm getting a ticket for no helmet (which is fine, my bad) and want my license. I gave them

my car license (didn't own a car).  he said he is keeping it and i will get it back once i go the police

station to pay fine.  i drive on the way to station.  we stop and my gf looks at ticket.

it says i was speeding and ran a stop sign ! helmet wasn't mentioned.  i decided f them and went back

home to chiang rai.

fast forward a few years, i go to renew my car license hoping it's not flagged in system and they say i've never had one.  555

they issue one immediately for me without taking the written/driving test.  TIT

good advice on dash cam, i'm looking on lazada now. 

wonder if my license is still in a drawer at patong police station?

Key to that anecdote is "10+ years ago" (in the opening sentence). 

Thailand lags many countries when it comes to information management (which can be considered good or bad, depending on many factors), but Thai databases are without a doubt getting evermore rigorously filled, organized and connected. 

Fast forward a few years (25 at most, possibly just 15), and the hope you had back then will be considered a naivety by everyone (in that future time frame).

• Like 1