News Forum - 2 entertainment venues raided in Pattaya amid crackdown

Thaiger

In their continued effort to crack down on nefarious activities, and hamper tourism according to many, the Pattaya Police raided two more nightclubs last night. The raids came after a pledge by police forces to do nightly sweeps of the area to make sure that all entertainment venues are following all the laws. At the press conference on Friday, Major General Nantawut Suwanlaong laid out the rules that will apply to entertainment venues and restaurants in Pattaya. He announced police would be enforcing them nightly, including a pledge to personally take part in weekend patrols. True to his word, Nantawut, […]

The story 2 entertainment venues raided in Pattaya amid crackdown as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So let's get this straight - Pattaya completely and utterly depends on tourism - without it it's nothing - yet police are doing the best they can to annoy and discourage tourists? Someone needs to replace those clowns and fast.

Crackdown? What is the target of the RTP for businesses to pay protection money? Perhaps it’s 95% or something and they aren’t hitting their target? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pinga said:

So let's get this straight - Pattaya completely and utterly depends on tourism - without it it's nothing - yet police are doing the best they can to annoy and discourage tourists? Someone needs to replace those clowns and fast.

I suggest that you are confusing sex tourists and criminal types for bonafide tourists.  All that the police are doing is enforcing the current laws. if you have a problem with that, ask the relevant government authorities to amend the laws and regulations. The Thai regulations are  no more severe than western rules and regulations. This is what the RTP is enforcing;

1. No person under 20 can enter bars and entertainment venues.
  2. Underage people cannot purchase alcohol in any venues, including restaurants.
  3. Though different zones have closing times between midnight and 2am, all entertainment venues must be closed with no customers inside by the legal closing times.
  4. After the legal closing time, selling alcohol is strictly prohibited without exception.
  5. No weapons or illegal drugs are allowed in any entertainment venues.
  6. Human trafficking is strictly prohibited in any entertainment venue.
  7. Gambling is illegal and prohibited in every entertainment venue.

What exactly do you object to of  the above 7 items?  The age 20 cut off is intended to protect minors from exploitation. Yes, many brothel beer bar owners are upset. Boo hoo. If they were back in Bristol or Parma or Bruxelles, many of the farang beer bar  & club operators would be in jail  serving time for pandering, violation of labour codes and tax avoidance.

Pattaya must move away from the outdated sex tourism model if it is to survive as a tourist destination. Reputable organizations do not want to have conferences and conventions in venues that present a elevated reputation damage risk. Singapore and Bangkok dominate the region as  convention destinations. Bangkok has as much naughtiness as Pattaya, but  it is seen as much more than a sex tourism destination. Until Pattaya rids itself of the raunchy perception, it cannot move up.

9 minutes ago, Vigo said:

I suggest that you are confusing sex tourists and criminal types for bonafide tourists.  All that the police are doing is enforcing the current laws. if you have a problem with that, ask the relevant government authorities to amend the laws and regulations. The Thai regulations are  no more severe than western rules and regulations. This is what the RTP is enforcing;

1. No person under 20 can enter bars and entertainment venues.
  2. Underage people cannot purchase alcohol in any venues, including restaurants.
  3. Though different zones have closing times between midnight and 2am, all entertainment venues must be closed with no customers inside by the legal closing times.
  4. After the legal closing time, selling alcohol is strictly prohibited without exception.
  5. No weapons or illegal drugs are allowed in any entertainment venues.
  6. Human trafficking is strictly prohibited in any entertainment venue.
  7. Gambling is illegal and prohibited in every entertainment venue.

What exactly do you object to of  the above 7 items?  The age 20 cut off is intended to protect minors from exploitation. Yes, many brothel beer bar owners are upset. Boo hoo. If they were back in Bristol or Parma or Bruxelles, many of the farang beer bar  & club operators would be in jail  serving time for pandering, violation of labour codes and tax avoidance.

Pattaya must move away from the outdated sex tourism model if it is to survive as a tourist destination. Reputable organizations do not want to have conferences and conventions in venues that present a elevated reputation damage risk. Singapore and Bangkok dominate the region as  convention destinations. Bangkok has as much naughtiness as Pattaya, but  it is seen as much more than a sex tourism destination. Until Pattaya rids itself of the raunchy perception, it cannot move up.

With the exception of raiding a place open past legal closing

It is not the best look for tourism if it's known that bars/clubs are consistently raided

Even if you didn't break any laws, y9u don't want to go on holiday and have police raiding places you are at while you are just trying to enjoy your holiday

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

With the exception of raiding a place open past legal closing

It is not the best look for tourism if it's known that bars/clubs are consistently raided

Even if you didn't break any laws, y9u don't want to go on holiday and have police raiding places you are at while you are just trying to enjoy your holiday

Understood, but Koh Samui, Hua Hin and Krabi have managed to do so. They have just as much of the naughty business as pattaya, but they manage it so much better.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Understood, but Koh Samui, Hua Hin and Krabi have managed to do so. They have just as much of the naughty business as pattaya, but they manage it so much better.

If the authorities and the RTP were serious about riding Pattaya off its current image, they could make moves that overnight would change it. Fact is they have no such plan. This is nothing more than showing those who try to operate without the protection of the RTP that they won’t win. It has nothing to do with enforcing the 7 rules you listed and all to do with the RTP enforcing those rules when they are having their nose put out.

Many of the bars employing underage girls and gambling’s dens are owned by the RTP. I recall being in Pattaya when the late (those who can’t be mentioned) past away.  All bars were closed or having to hide activity, except a major one right on beach road just 50 metres from the police station. Now I wonder how they got away with it. 

I take your point about the police doing what police should do. But when it comes to the RTP, the hypocrisy is simply too much to even contemplate that gang of mafia doing their job properly. These are the kind of people Thailand need to rid themselves of if they want to change its image.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

Oh I absolutely detest Pattaya 

So you won't find me defending that place 

But to be honest 

The places they would raid, most tourists in the they would raid aren't all that sensitive and probably wouldn't put them off too much unless it got way overhanded 

On 11/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, Soidog said:

If the authorities and the RTP were serious about riding Pattaya off its current image, they could make moves that overnight would change it. Fact is they have no such plan. This is nothing more than showing those who try to operate without the protection of the RTP that they won’t win. It has nothing to do with enforcing the 7 rules you listed and all to do with the RTP enforcing those rules when they are having their nose put out.

Many of the bars employing underage girls and gambling’s dens are owned by the RTP. I recall being in Pattaya when the late (those who can’t be mentioned) past away.  All bars were closed or having to hide activity, except a major one right on beach road just 50 metres from the police station. Now I wonder how they got away with it. 

I take your point about the police doing what police should do. But when it comes to the RTP, the hypocrisy is simply too much to even contemplate that gang of mafia doing their job properly. These are the kind of people Thailand need to rid themselves of if they want to change its image.  

We both know you are right so any contrary comment from me is foolish. However, the coppers have to start somewhere and yesterday's roundup of aggressive  hookers on Beach road  was a start. They need to get a handle on these people before peak season starts in 2 weeks. The hookers are swarming like hyenas on  a wounded wildebeast. It's not just the hookers, but petty opportunistic thieves. My understanding is that bag snatches, phone thefts and pick pocketing incidents have increased as well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vigo said:

We both know you are right so any contrary comment from me is foolish. However, the coppers have to start somewhere and yesterday's roundup of aggressive  hookers on Beach road  was a start. They need to get a handle on these people before peak season starts in 2 weeks. The hookers are swarming like hyenas on  a wounded wildebeast. It's not just the hookers, but petty opportunistic thieves. My understanding is that bag snatches, phone thefts and pick pocketing incidents have increased as well.

The hookers were cleared because they want the beach to be safe and proper on Friday and Saturday night for the fireworks. Probably told them to disappear for a couple of days.