News Forum - Taxi app gaff sends passengers to wrong airport causing 10,000 baht loss

Thaiger

A Thai woman filed a complaint with the police, and the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB), after a taxi driver from the Gosabuy application dropped her at the wrong airport. It cost her over 10,000 baht as a result and got only 2,000 baht in compensation. The passenger, 51 year old Aranya Kaewma, told Thairath that she booked flights with her husband to fly from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Chiang Mai International Airport on November 7. The flight’s departure from Bangkok was at 6.10am so Aranya booked a taxi from the Gosabuy application to pick her up at her hotel […]

The story Taxi app gaff sends passengers to wrong airport causing 10,000 baht loss as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

In the land of "no responsibility" comes the chance for a breath of fresh air... make the cab company pay all expenses... then add a significant punitive award to it.

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A Thai woman filed a complaint with the police, and the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB), after a taxi driver from the Gosabuy application dropped her at the wrong airport. It cost her over 10,000 baht as a result and got only 2,000 baht in compensation. The passenger, 51 year old Aranya Kaewma, told Thairath that she booked flights with her husband to fly from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Chiang Mai International Airport on November 7. The flight’s departure from Bangkok was at 6.10am so Aranya booked a taxi from the Gosabuy application to pick her up at her hotel […]

The story Taxi app gaff sends passengers to wrong airport causing 10,000 baht loss as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Going the extra mile is not always a good thing.

• Haha 1

And why wouldn't they mnetion their destination to the driver when right in sitting in the car. I always do to make sure. And why did they not notice the driver was going in the wrong direction? I know everywhere I go in Bangkok. I seriously put the blame on the woman and her husband as they should have caught it immediately.

10 hours ago, Skip said:

In the land of "no responsibility" comes the chance for a breath of fresh air... make the cab company pay all expenses... then add a significant punitive award to it.

Only way that will (maybe) happen is with a legal team behind you and then they might just ignore the court ruling, if in your favour and forget to pay you.

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

And why wouldn't they mnetion their destination to the driver when right in sitting in the car. I always do to make sure. And why did they not notice the driver was going in the wrong direction? I know everywhere I go in Bangkok. I seriously put the blame on the woman and her husband as they should have caught it immediately.

She said she did tell him the destination and that she didn't know Bangkok well so she wouldn't have known he was going in the wrong direction 

8 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Never depend on Taxi especially in BKK. Better to take the public transport like train to the destination especially if going to airport

Damn I guess I just got lucky the 60x I've taken a taxi to the airport in Bangkok 

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

She said she did tell him the destination and that she didn't know Bangkok well so she wouldn't have known he was going in the wrong direction 

Yeah read or missed it, but something on this story does not check out. 6:10am flight and being picked up at 4:30am? This is plainly not enough time even if she went to Don Mueang. Sometimes I make pretty close shaves but I know what I am doing when going to airports in Bangkok and in all my years only missed 2 flights from hundreds of them. Also many folk will see airport BKK and assume it is Suvanrnabhumi. For where she said she was and saying that the taxi turned around and made Suvarnabhumi at 5:45am would probably not have any bearing on whether or not making the flight. She would have been late and probably was late out of the hotel. Flights check in 45 minutes or before and just getting out of a car and walking to check in takes 10 minutes. I am not buying her story.

12 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah read or missed it, but something on this story does not check out. 6:10am flight and being picked up at 4:30am? This is plainly not enough time even if she went to Don Mueang. Sometimes I make pretty close shaves but I know what I am doing when going to airports in Bangkok and in all my years only missed 2 flights from hundreds of them. Also many folk will see airport BKK and assume it is Suvanrnabhumi. For where she said she was and saying that the taxi turned around and made Suvarnabhumi at 5:45am would probably not have any bearing on whether or not making the flight. She would have been late and probably was late out of the hotel. Flights check in 45 minutes or before and just getting out of a car and walking to check in takes 10 minutes. I am not buying her story.

I didn't misread it

She said :

"When the taxi arrived she emphasised to the taxi that her destination was Suvarnabhumi Airport."

Now we dont know if that's true or not but that's what she stated

And although I would leave much earlier for a 6:10am flight(and my wife would basically make us sleep at the airport 5555) , 4:30am should get you to the airport right about in the 1 hour time frame you need to be for a domestic flight 

I prefer, especially as I get older, to get to the airport at least 2 hours before my flight so I don't have to rush at all

On 11/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, HolyCowCm said:

I agree about the pickup time, I wouldn't leave that late for a domestic flight in Perth Australia where the traffic is absolutely tame compared to Bangkok.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

I agree about the pickup time, I wouldn't leave that late for a domestic flight in Perth Australia where the traffic is absolutely tame compared to Bangkok.

It’s not exactly pinpointed clockwork. Even when I travel in Bangkok I always leave a buffer. Just things can happen or drag and then you have her complaint and failure to make her flight. 

1 hour ago, Mazz11 said:

4.30 in the morning, from a location that is really outside of Bangkoks busy areas, more or less just north of BKK Airport?

My guess, from that adress/road, usually 5am would be the arrival time at the airport. A bit later at Don Muang. But no route would go anywhere near to busy traffic roads at that time. 

4.30 am was not the problem.

The "not knowing where the Suwanaphumi Airport is" was it.

Is it only me, or is someone else also driving taxi in cities he don't know (well) with a google maps navigation running, on the phones display? And letting the driver knowing about:

"Google says, we should be there in xx minutes. Can you beat that?"

22 hours ago, Guest1 said:

4.30 in the morning, from a location that is really outside of Bangkoks busy areas, more or less just north of BKK Airport?

My guess, from that adress/road, usually 5am would be the arrival time at the airport. A bit later at Don Muang. But no route would go anywhere near to busy traffic roads at that time. 

4.30 am was not the problem.

The "not knowing where the Suwanaphumi Airport is" was it.

Is it only me, or is someone else also driving taxi in cities he don't know (well) with a google maps navigation running, on the phones display? And letting the driver knowing about:

"Google says, we should be there in xx minutes. Can you beat that?"

I was in Bangkok with my fiancé a few weeks ago and the taxi driver needed to use google maps to get from Victory Monument to Pak Kret

38 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

I was in Bangkok with my fiancé a few weeks ago and the taxi driver needed to use google maps to get from Victory Monument to Pak Kret

That is why I have a google maps navigation running. I have been in very many taxis or minibuses, and some of the driver had no clue where the hotel or whatever was, exactly.

Also, in meter taxis in Thailand, using the meter, it helps to prevent money detours. ;-)

• Like 1