News Forum - Thailand pushes digital payments, rejects US dollar in move towards cashless society

Thaiger

Only 5% of all transactions in the world are done by cash. So why do you think that governments around the world are so hellbent on eradicating even that remaining bit ? To make life for us easier and more comfortable ? Cash is the last bit of freedom left and once we give upon that governments can control us 100%  instead of the 95% they already do. Controlling how you spent, how much and what you spent it on. Money with an expiring date . Blocking the use to those deemed not in line with government policies . China is already implementing that on an enormous big brother scheme. And Justin Trudeau in Canada already gave us a sample of what to expect when blocking bank accounts of people that supported the the peaceful truckers protests . You will not be able to protect your savings if you are even allowed to have those . Why do people not to understand that they are about to loose the last little trickle of freedom that cash still allows.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cabra said:

We have no choice but to do tm30 and tm47. That's just one form of innocuous government control. However, history (including contemporary) is replete with more alarming examples of government inspired control, suppression, repression, and surveillance perpetrated on the hoi polloi. Just look at the 23,000 new CCTV cameras Thailand recently installed leading up to APEC, or the $400m fine Google paid for tracking people's mobiles... It's happening everyday all around us. If you need more facts search "freedom index". Clearly, governments don't care about saints, dilettantes, or dull-minded sleep-walkers doing and believing everything they are told. They pose no threat. Sadly, the march towards cashless began when governments starting taking large denomination banknotes out of circulation (there is a reason the US and EU no longer have the $/€500 banknote). Cash is good, cash is freedom, and I hope it never disappears. I don't pay cash for everything, nor would I want to. But I want the option. Most people have public, private and secrets lives they don't want interfered with. And if anyone is willingly giving up privacy for the illusion of safety and security, then they deserve neither. I'm not a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist. Just living the best life I can with my eyes wide open to the Injustices and inequality all around us. 

Well I’m sure a lot of what you say is true. But to be honest, life is too short for me to worry about many of these things. Those that have or need super secret lives can usually pay for it. Those that lead criminal or terrorist lives need to be tracked, and the vast majority of us in the middle have nothing much to worry about. I’ve certainly not experienced any downside of CCTV, ANPR systems, mobile tracking. Tracking cookies on website, data leaks or any other form of issues relating to government visibility of what I do. The worst thing they do to me is take my tax out of my earnings before I get them. 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:24 PM, Poolie said:

Both seem to work relentlessly here. No 'brown outs' where I live.

Lucky, Have a practice run one day, shut your phone, computers and access cards etc in a drawer for 48 hours.

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Lucky, Have a practice run one day, shut your phone, computers and access cards etc in a drawer for 48 hours.

Oh I'm sure there's more to it than luck. Good organisation and reliable workers.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:30 PM, Soidog said:

Exactly Marc. I have no problem people who want to keep using cash but to claim governments will have 100% control of our life is just alarmist. I use cashless transactions on 99% of occasions in the U.K.  Very rare I use cash

How naive you are, let me enlighten you.

I use cashless 99% as well, so, what your mind doesnt understand is.

cashless means ONLY electronic, meaning, money only in the bank, no other way.

1. Every single transaction u do, EVERY single one, is reported. You cannot buy anything anonymously.

2. the government can say, okay, no chocolate, or no products from this seller, and they will just make the card to not work there.

3. inflation, we need to put negative interest rates, and here you go, you account is now losing 25% a year. They cannot do it now, because people would just withdraw.

4. government doesnt like you? Your card has been cancelled. You are done, you cant buy a bottle of water.

Oh, you want to go around and your friend, or brother will be buying food and paying your rent? Now your brother is cancelled, bevause we see that he is buying more than one individual or his registered family usually uses. 

5. Oh, you are eating tok much red meat and had already 20 beers, your card doesnt allow you to buy more till end of the month

6. We said curfew after 12am, all card are disabled after midnight, bye bye.

7. You have already used 50l of gasoline this month, no more

8. You are not supporting government enough, no premium products for you. 

i can go on and on, i hope u understand that option of cash is freedom

Edited by francoa
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, francoa said:

How naive you are, let me enlighten you.

1. Every single transaction u do, EVERY single one, is reported. You cannot buy anything anonymously.

2. the government can say, okay, no chocolate, or no products from this seller, and they will just make the card to not work there.

3. inflation, we need to put negative interest rates, and here you go, you account is now losing 25% a year. They cannot do it now, because people would just withdraw.

4. government doesnt like you? Your card has been cancelled. You are done, you cant buy a bottle of water.

Oh, you want to go around and your friend, or brother will be buying food and paying your rent? Now your brother is cancelled, bevause we see that he is buying more than one individual or his registered family usually uses. 

5. Oh, you are eating tok much red meat and had already 20 beers, your card doesnt allow you to buy more till end of the month

I think you’ve been reading too many science fiction books mate. Governments have never stopped me buying another beer or another steak 😂😂. I feel so sorry for you if these are the kind of things you worry about and base decisions on. Guess what. A big big piece of space rock could make us all extinct in the next year. And check under the bed at night won’t you. Ridiculous! 

18 minutes ago, francoa said:

Oh, you want to go around and your friend, or brother will be buying food and paying your rent? Now your brother is cancelled, bevause we see that he is buying more than one individual or his registered family usually uses. 

Thanks for posting again without the insult. Much appreciated! 

Oh, one other thing. Cash may be what you think is freedom. Until it gets lost of stolen that is. 

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

I think you’ve been reading too many science fiction books mate. Governments have never stopped me buying another beer or another steak 😂😂. I feel so sorry for you if these are the kind of things you worry about and base decisions on. Guess what. A big big piece of space rock could make us all extinct in the next year. And check under the bed at night won’t you. Ridiculous! 

Because they couldnt lol.

But yes, history showed that that no government ever oppressed  people, right? No dictatorships, communists, nothing..government always only nice

good luck fool 

1 minute ago, francoa said:

Because they couldnt lol.

But yes, history showed that that no government ever oppressed  people, right? No dictatorships, communists, nothing..government always only nice

good luck fool 

Well I’ve been using cashless for the past 5-8 years and never had a problem. If you live in China or some other oppressive regime then perhaps you are not ready for a cashless world. But I don’t live in such a place and if I ever have a sense my country is moving towards a totalitarian society then I’ll reconsider my ways. Until then, cashless it is. 

I won’t trade insults with you as I think you are doing a great job insulting yourself. 

29 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well I’ve been using cashless for the past 5-8 years and never had a problem. If you live in China or some other oppressive regime then perhaps you are not ready for a cashless world. But I don’t live in such a place and if I ever have a sense my country is moving towards a totalitarian society then I’ll reconsider my ways. Until then, cashless it is. 

I won’t trade insults with you as I think you are doing a great job insulting yourself. 

aaah, so you are betting on the fact that no government can ever be bad? again?) Can you explain how communism crawled into democratic countries before? 

stunning, good bet tho

especially on thailand forum:-) Country where army took over, ignoring any democratic laws haha

Edited by francoa

20 minutes ago, francoa said:

aaah, so you are betting on the fact that no government can ever be bad? again?) Can you explain how communism crawled into democratic countries before? 

stunning, good bet tho

especially on thailand forum:-) Country where army took over, ignoring any democratic laws haha

Not betting on anything. Just living in the real world and the present time. Anything “could” happen. Until it does then I will relax about cash or cashless. There are a few more pressing things to worry about right now in the world.