News Forum - World could learn from Thailand’s family planning approach, says US healthcare director

Thaiger

The director of a leading healthcare institution in the United States reckons the world could learn a thing or two from Thailand when it comes to family planning. Jose G Timon II, director of US-based Bill & Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health, believes Thailand’s success in implementing family planning schemes over the past few decades should act as a model for other nations to follow. Timon made the statement yesterday at the 2022 International Conference on Family Planning (ICFP) in Pattaya. The ICFP has served as a platform for the global reproductive health community to celebrate achievements […]

The story World could learn from Thailand’s family planning approach, says US healthcare director as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Obviously it's been a decades long initiative

But I think recently, Thailand has definitely followed the trend of people not having babies until much older and obviously then having fewer children

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Obviously it's been a decades long initiative

But I think recently, Thailand has definitely followed the trend of people not having babies until much older and obviously then having fewer children

I think that you are probably right with the better educated Thais in better jobs.
From what I have seen in rural Thaland the girls are still churning out babies at 13 and 14 years old.

Interesting

“The average number of babies born each year has dropped to less than 600,000 per year right now, compared to about one million a year between 1964-1983.”

From another article...

the average sperm concentration fell 51.6 per cent between 1973 and 2018. Total sperm count fell by 62.3 per cent during the same period.

Could this be the reason for the drop in birth rates instead of Thailand's efforts with birth control?

This might be true in urban areas and amongst the well-educated.

I don't have any statistics on how the numbers of rural single mothers has changed over the decades, but you only have to live in some of the villages in Isaan to see what the director of a leading healthcare institution in the United States does not see.

• Like 1