Police check points Chiang Mai

darosa888

Anyone interested in creating a whatsapp group where we post the latest information on where police have setup checkpoints in the city so we can avoid those specific areas?

21 minutes ago, darosa888 said:

Anyone interested in creating a whatsapp group where we post the latest information on where police have setup checkpoints in the city so we can avoid those specific areas?

I think those checkpoints are pretty well known..........

At least they were for the week I was there in June

And there were a lot of them!

1 hour ago, darosa888 said:

No Marc, I mean creating a WhatsApp group wherein we post where we see a checkpoint during any given day, so we can avoid biking in that area

And I am telling you they set up at the exact same spots, it is known...........

And if you are driving legally, it doesn't matter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darosa888 said:

No Marc, I mean creating a WhatsApp group wherein we post where we see a checkpoint during any given day, so we can avoid biking in that area

What is wrong with driving towards it, seing it and following the locals rule of turning and driving away?  Or waiting 50/100m before it, till it is gone? Works/ed for "millions" of bike drivers in  this country. Like from the time before everyone had a live ticker in his hands, while driving

They sometimes setup around bends or turns where you can’t avoid running into them. Also, on roadways that have a concrete median separating both directions of travel (cannot make a u-turn).
Regardless of if they are setup at the exact same spot or not,  I mean having a WhatsApp group where we can notify if they are setup and avoiding that area. For those who don’t have an international driving license while on a scooter, those people will need to pay the police.

In Sakon Nakhon Province they are set up, both speed traps and spot checks in the same locations each time so the police can organize the payment of fines and vehicle parking once you are pulled over. 

Hate to say it but instead of dodging them maybe get legal for your own safety and that of others. If you are in an accident and illegally on the road its going to be painful in more ways than one. 

Further to my last post, what is it you are actually trying to avoid?  Do you avoid using a crash helmet, a valid driving license , insurance, vehicle road tax ?

Why are you trying to avoid complying with safe and legal road use in Thailand when you wouldn't in a home country.  

28 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

Further to my last post, what is it you are actually trying to avoid?  Do you avoid using a crash helmet, a valid driving license , insurance, vehicle road tax ?

Why are you trying to avoid complying with safe and legal road use in Thailand when you wouldn't in a home country.  

Perhaps he is trying to avoid meeting with the corrupt RTP? Makes sense if you think about it…. I ride a big bike and get pulled over every single time by drooling brown shirts demanding license, registration, passport and sometimes noise test & pee test… 

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

Perhaps he is trying to avoid meeting with the corrupt RTP? Makes sense if you think about it…. I ride a big bike and get pulled over every single time by drooling brown shirts demanding license, registration, passport and sometimes noise test & pee test… 

Assuming you are all legal what do they fine you for? Do you go pro your encounters if requiring bribes. 

I've driven and ridden here for 5 years and have yet to get fined but maybe that's luck or just being road legal and sticking to the national speed limit on fast roads. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

I went through about 15 police checks in CM in June

Got waived through once I showed them my IDP

Most times didn't even have to actually get it out, just reaching for it was good enough 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

Assuming you are all legal what do they fine you for? Do you go pro your encounters if requiring bribes. 

I've driven and ridden here for 5 years and have yet to get fined but maybe that's luck or just being road legal and sticking to the national speed limit on fast roads. 

I don’t get fined or buy any tickets to the policeman’s ball. If I am illegal I turn around or just don’t stop. They aren’t there to keep the roads safe or there would be a queue of pickups waiting to cart away the illegal motorcycles and a pile of free helmets to hand out. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2022 at 9:29 AM, Fanta said:

Maybe they just don't like you 🤔

• Like 1