News Forum - Thailand pulls the plug on foreign land ownership regulation

Thaiger

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

A lot of countries in the real world with some sort of  foreign buyer restrictions 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tranio.com/amp/article/4913/

Yes Marc, I’m fully aware of that and I’m advocating a similar model for Thailand. What I’m against is a total ban on foreign land ownership and the underlying fear instilled in to Thais about foreigners. This then changes the narrative about foreign business ownership and the ability of foreigners to have jobs other than the handful they are currently allowed. 

This was a proposed smallest of small steps towards a much more open society and country. They couldn’t even do this.   

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Yes Marc, I’m fully aware of that and I’m advocating a similar model for Thailand. What I’m against is a total ban on foreign land ownership and the underlying fear instilled in to Thais about foreigners. This then changes the narrative about foreign business ownership and the ability of foreigners to have jobs other than the handful they are currently allowed. 

This was a proposed smallest of small steps towards a much more open society and country. They couldn’t even do this.   

Again, many countries have the same job restrictions 

So many of the jobs on Thailand's restricted list, a Thai could do that job.

And I know this extremely well because for the last 15 years, my firm has to prove that a Canadian can't do my job

My firm actually has to put ads out for my job and then prove that the applicants that apply can't do the job

Or they aren't approved to give me that job

I can't own a business on a work permit

That's why we are finally going for permanent residency, so we can own a business 

So farangs being able to own part of a business in Thailand even when they aren't even a landed immigrant is actually more lenient than Canada 

By the way, I think Thailand should be more open

I am just pointing out that western countries also have a alot of the same requirements for non landed immigrants 

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Again, many countries have the same job restrictions 

So many of the jobs on Thailand's restricted list, a Thai could do that job.

And I know this extremely well because for the last 15 years, my firm has to prove that a Canadian can't do my job

My firm actually has to put ads out for my job and then prove that the applicants that apply can't do the job

Or they aren't approved to give me that job

I can't own a business on a work permit

That's why we are finally going for permanent residency, so we can own a business 

So farangs being able to own part of a business in Thailand even when they aren't even a landed immigrant is actually more lenient than Canada 

By the way, I think Thailand should be more open

I am just pointing out that western countries also have a alot of the same requirements for non landed immigrants 

And again Marc I’m aware of all that. The point is that we could debate forever the various limitations and restrictions of land ownership, business ownership and job markets in various countries. Some as difficult as Thailand, some a lot easier and some even harder. However, a consistent message is that on balance, developed and progressive countries have more liberal laws to such issues than Thailand. Thailand needs to move in that directions if it is ever to progress is all I’m saying. For example, I’m sure there are far more qualified and experienced CEO’s who could get Thai Airways out of the mess they are in, rather than ex army generals or connected people within the country. They are about to appoint a new CEO. What chance of that person being the best available in the world? No chance! 

• Like 1