News Forum - Middle Eastern tourists steal phones from Pattaya hotel

Thaiger

Pattaya Police are on the lookout for two Middle Eastern men who robbed two mobile phones yesterday from a hotel at Soi Pattaya Sai Song. A 43 year old member of the hotel staff, Siriwan Saeng-Arun, told police that the two Middle Eastern tourists requested to see a room before booking on Saturday, November 5. Siriwan showed the alleged tourists a room on the third floor but they felt the room was too small and did not book. Siriwan said the tourists left the hotel and she did not see anything strange with their actions. Then, one of the tourists returned […]

The story Middle Eastern tourists steal phones from Pattaya hotel as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is a very common phenomenon in Pattaya.

I see this tactic regularly in 7/11 and Family Mart Stores where large numbers of two particular nationalities of tourists enter these stores 3-4 members of these groups distract the counter staff while other members proceed to go on a  shoplifting grab.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, 23RD said:

This is a very common phenomenon in Pattaya.

I see this tactic regularly in 7/11 and Family Mart Stores where large numbers of two particular nationalities of tourists enter these stores 3-4 members of these groups distract the counter staff while other members proceed to go on a  shoplifting grab.

Really? What nationalities would they be? I've only ever seen Chinese enter a 7 in large numbers and it never occurred to me they could be up to no good

11 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

Really? What nationalities would they be? I've only ever seen Chinese enter a 7 in large numbers and it never occurred to me they could be up to no good

Next time you visit Pattaya eyes wide open and you'll see what I mean. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, 23RD said:

Next time you visit Pattaya eyes wide open and you'll see what I mean. 

I fear I will not see it, I must simply be too street-dumb. Would be much appreciated if you just clarified, then I'd have a chance to spot it happening.

Edited by Wackamole

20 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

I fear I will not see it, I must simply be too street-dumb. Would be much appreciated if you just clarified, then I'd have a chance to spot it happening.

If I  named the two main nationalities of folk I've seen committing this sort of crime I'd probably be accused of stereotyping people on the basis of their race Wackamole my old China.

So all I'll say is I've seen the same tactics used in my own native UK many times. 

Don't be to hard on yourself for being as you describe yourself as street-dumb it probably means you've had a sheltered/protected life which isn't a bad thing. 

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, 23RD said:

If I  named the two main nationalities of folk I've seen committing this sort of crime I'd probably be accused of stereotyping people on the basis of their race Wackamole my old China.

So all I'll say is I've seen the same tactics used in my own native UK many times. 

Don't be to hard on yourself for being as you describe yourself as street-dumb it probably means you've had a sheltered/protected life which isn't a bad thing. 

I'm fine with being street dumb.

I doubt anyone could accuse you of stereotyping though, since it would be clear you've seen *some* individuals of said groups in the act. But maybe you prefer not to come across as this person, which is understandable. I still wish you'd tell.

Edited by Wackamole
  • Like 1

(Some) Arabic nationalities, and (some) African, would be my guess. 🤣

The few.. ok, many.. times I've noticed people trying to pickpocket me in Thailand, they were mostly Thai(?) kids, ladyboys, and a couple of times African. It's usually very subtle so you're not even sure they tried - like walking down the street and feel someone touching your butt, to find out it's some kid - I never carry a wallet and definitely not in my back pocket, so my guess is they tried to fish for one and failed. The only time I've had someone try to reach into my front pockets was when drunk in a particular venue that had too many Africans in it - the guy had no shame - just reached into my pocket. I grabbed his hand and made sure he didn't take anything, he laughed like it was all a big joke and two seconds later disappeared from the venue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wackamole said:

I'm fine with being street dumb.

I doubt anyone could accuse you of stereotyping though, since it would be clear you've seen *some* individuals of said groups in the act. But maybe you prefer not to come across as this person, which is understandable. I still wish you'd tell.

As much as I love reading the tit tat between opposing opinions,  you are coming across as a tad pedantic, we all know what he's talking about and before you ask me to clarify it, I can't be bothered!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mandy said:

As much as I love reading the tit tat between opposing opinions,  you are coming across as a tad pedantic, we all know what he's talking about and before you ask me to clarify it, I can't be bothered!

From the messages above, it seems the 2 "nationalities" in question are African and Arab. Which I'm yet to ever see in large numbers at once in a 7/11. I'm not sure how having no clue what you guys are on about makes me sound pedantic. Thanks for letting me know though.

I'll return the favour and point out that you do come across as a bit of a coward when you say you can't be bothered to clarify.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

From the messages above, it seems the 2 "nationalities" in question are African and Arab. Which I'm yet to ever see in large numbers at once in a 7/11. I'm not sure how having no clue what you guys are on about makes me sound pedantic. Thanks for letting me know though.

I'll return the favour and point out that you do come across as a bit of a coward when you say you can't be bothered to clarify.

I've never seen large numbers of Africans entering 7/11 or Family Mart Stores in Pattaya. 

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, Wackamole said:

Chinese do that while the their bus drops them of for a 7/11 commission buy. That are usually 2-4 person groups, pushed together with other 2-4 person groups.  Nothing to worry about.

But there are (minimum) 2 other nationalities, you hardly see stroll around alone or only 2 of them. As long they not having a wife, at least!

One of these is the problem group on Pattaya streets, racing with  scooters and noisy meeting up near gas stations.

The other is/was often good to spot on Pattaya beach road. To chat up service ladies of the night into a group discount!

My guess, 23RD had them in mind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pinga said:

I grabbed his hand and made sure he didn't take anything, he laughed like it was all a big joke and two seconds later disappeared from the venue.

You should have grabbed one finger, only. And broke it! Best the thumb, that has a good chance, he passes out afterwards!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

Violence is rarely the solution.

A hand in my pocket is begging for such 

And because most pickpockets have the taker close by, it helps to identify them. And keeps your six clear.