News Forum - Countdown to World Cup – No countdown for Thailand

Thaiger

Thailand’s national broadcasting commission, the NBTC, has skilfully passed the blame for the impeding World Cup fiasco to the Sports Authority of Thailand. If you want to be sure of not missing a second the 2022 FIFA World Cup, with only 15 days to go it’s probably time to plan to leave the country, or sign up for cable. Trairat Viriyasirikul, acting secretary-general of the NBTC, pled ignorance and innocence yesterday, putting the blame for the fiasco firmly at the feet the SAT. He said if appropriate budget documents are not presented to the NBTC by Wednesday, the commission will […]

The story Countdown to World Cup – No countdown for Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

28 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

If you want to be sure of not missing a second the 2022 FIFA World Cup, with only 15 days to go it’s probably time to plan to leave the country, or sign up for cable.

No worries

I only pay attention in order to see my English friend's hopes and dreams rise waaaaaaaaay out of proportion then crash and burn to Germany in a shootout.

Oh, and all the 1966 references...

😎

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

No worries

I only pay attention in order to see my English friend's hopes and dreams rise waaaaaaaaay out of proportion then crash and burn to Germany in a shootout.

😎

You are a cruel cruel man Mr Wilder 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You are a cruel cruel man Mr Wilder 😉

Au contraire, Mr Dog.

I have listened, without comment, to the English blag on about their chances in the World Cup for 40+ years, knowing that in the most charitable interpretation of their team's strengths and abilities, a promotion from the Group Stage should be considered an "A+" tournament.

In short, I have demonstrated the patience of a Master Buddhist Monk. 

No, that isn't strong enough. 

Listening to English people describe their chances in the World Cup, while not commenting, puts me on par with Siddhartha himself.

I'm done.

Did I mention 1966?

😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Au contraire, Mr Dog.

I have listened, without comment, to the English blag on about their chances in the World Cup for 40+ years, knowing that in the most charitable interpretation of their team's strengths and abilities, a promotion from the Group Stage should be considered an "A+" tournament.

In short, I have demonstrated the patience of a Master Buddhist Monk. 

No, that isn't strong enough. 

Listening to English people describe their chances in the World Cup, while not commenting, puts me on par with Siddhartha himself.

I'm done.

Did I mention 1966?

😎

😂😂. Truth is, even an half honest English man knows fine well we won’t win the World Cup. But just as Leicester City won the Premier league a few years back and Greece won the Euros, miracles do indeed happen. With each passing stage you get through, that hope and expectation of a miracle grows stronger. 

It’s odd actually, as most the time the English only ever look for the negatives of life and are never optimistic. Football for some reason seems to be the exception that proves the rule. 

I personally find the World Cup less of an interest these days. When I was a kid, it was a chance to see amazing Brazilians, Germans and Italians play. Now, most of the best in the world I can watch every week playing in the English Premier League.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

😂😂. Truth is, even an half honest English man knows fine well we won’t win the World Cup. But just as Leicester City won the Premier league a few years back and Greece won the Euros, miracles do indeed happen. With each passing stage you get through, that hope and expectation of a miracle grows stronger. 

It’s odd actually, as most the time the English only ever look for the negatives of life and are never optimistic. Football for some reason seems to be the exception that proves the rule. 

I personally find the World Cup less of an interest these days. When I was a kid, it was a chance to see amazing Brazilians, Germans and Italians play. Now, most of the best in the world I can watch every week playing in the English Premier League.

To be honest its not the English team or its supporters which winds many of us up. There are some talented footballers in the England team and watching good football is what these competitions are all about.

Its the English based media. They go into a frenzy over every game. Headline news. An open competition to see who can mention 1966 the most. They start making promises the team is going to struggle to deliver and when it goes wrong there is an explosion of outrage and demands that the manager and sometimes players are dismissed. 

This is anecdotal I know but I was in Glasgow, oh good grief it must have been near 20 years ago. Think it was during the Euro 2004 competition and a journalist from the Sun newspaper and a photographer were standing in George Square offering people 10 pounds to get their picture taken wearing a Croatian top. Most people told them to piss off but occasionally some muppet would take the money. The following day the story was run in the English version of the Sun about how Scotland was fully behind Croatia in the forthcoming match against England along with the pictures. It was fabricated. I honestly don't even think sports shops in Scotland would have had any Croation tops.

Oddly the story was never run in the Scottish version of the Sun newspaper. Because people would have complained about it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

To be honest its not the English team or its supporters which winds many of us up. There are some talented footballers in the England team and watching good football is what these competitions are all about.

Its the English based media. They go into a frenzy over every game. Headline news. An open competition to see who can mention 1966 the most. They start making promises the team is going to struggle to deliver and when it goes wrong there is an explosion of outrage and demands that the manager and sometimes players are dismissed. 

This is anecdotal I know but I was in Glasgow, oh good grief it must have been near 20 years ago. Think it was during the Euro 2004 competition and a journalist from the Sun newspaper and a photographer were standing in George Square offering people 10 pounds to get their picture taken wearing a Croatian top. Most people told them to piss off but occasionally some muppet would take the money. The following day the story was run in the English version of the Sun about how Scotland was fully behind Croatia in the forthcoming match against England along with the pictures. It was fabricated. I honestly don't even think sports shops in Scotland would have had any Croation tops.

Oddly the story was never run in the Scottish version of the Sun newspaper. Because people would have complained about it.

I think that you have summed up the English-based media/Sun newspapers quite well.

But, I have to ask...

Were you and your mates in fact cheering for the Croats? If you say "No", I won't believe you.

And, did I mention 1966?

😎

• Haha 1

Very slightly off topic but it's football related. I was having a ciggy with a bored Tuk Tuk driver the other day. He told me his daughter lives in Accrington Stanley. Now there's a football Club!!! 😁

bumbling , fumbling , short sighted clowns bitching about who's fault it is , is so Thailand .. they need to real up that a lot of folks who might be visiting the kingdom may just wanna watch the W C and non availability will cast the country as a bit tight or worse .. 

DPM Wong' had an overshake of the hair dye in that report pic' didn't he .? 

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I think that you have summed up the English-based media/Sun newspapers quite well.

But, I have to ask...

Were you and your mates in fact cheering for the Croats? If you say "No", I won't believe you.

And, did I mention 1966?

😎

Well you are not going to believe me then. I watch an England game with passing interest and do not take a side. If anything I tend to support England (especially in cricket).

So unless you are actually playing Scotland (in which case you are all the spawn of Satan) I am indifferent to the result.

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

No worries

😎

At least we don't have to worry about any Scottish hooligans in Qatar ...😆😆😆

To anyone who needs to watch, there are plenty of apps out there. 

Can then just connect phone to smart TV via screen share, or use a usb-c to HDMI connector.