PM in self-isolation after close contact with Covid-19 at “Sandbox” reopening

Thaiger

A public official who attended Phuket’s official reopening under the “Sandbox” model last week, and took a “selfie” with PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, later tested positive for Covid-19 after returning to his home province. The prime minister, who is fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, tested negative for Covid-19, but will be in self-isolation for 14 days as a precaution, Thai media reports. The chairperson for the Surin Chamber of Commerce, Veerasak Pisanuwong, wrote a post on Facebook announcing the positive result, and advising those who came in close contact with him to self-isolate. Since he was entering the Surin province, Veerasak […]

The post PM in self-isolation after close contact with Covid-19 at “Sandbox” reopening appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

You couldn’t make it up. I think I need to start using the abbreviation YCMIU as I find myself using it more and more often while reading these articles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The prime minister, who is fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, tested negative for Covid-19, but will be in self-isolation for 14 days as a precaution,

To quote a character in the British TV series It Ain't Half Hot Mum: "Oh dear how sad, never mind!"
I'm sure there must be more than a handful of underlings pleased they won't have contact with him for two weeks, not to mention female reporters who he won't be able to belittle.

Can the Thaiger tell me why some stories only have the tab "create an account" and not "Comment" and others have both?? I want to comment and can't? Why doesn't the "Comment" tab appear on every article, for those who have already created an account?? 

As for the PM, at least he self quarantined. I do hope for the people of Phuket that any potential outbreak is isolated and controlled. There's a lot at stake here. 

If you are dumb enough to think it is necessary to isolate for 14 days if you have been vaccinated.... You are a total idiot. 

43 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

If you are dumb enough to think it is necessary to isolate for 14 days if you have been vaccinated.... You are a total idiot. 

I think the point of it is not to protect yourself, but to protect others from you. As a vaccinated person, you still have a reasonable chance of contracting Covid, you just won’t get seriously sick or die from it. But you can pass it on to another person who is unvaccinated and may very well get seriously sick or die from it. So it’s just about being a responsible citizen to self isolate. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think the point of it is not to protect yourself, but to protect others from you. As a vaccinated person, you still have a reasonable chance of contracting Covid, you just won’t get seriously sick or die from it. But you can pass it on to another person who is unvaccinated and may very well get seriously sick or die from it. So it’s just about being a responsible citizen to self isolate. 

Sorry, but no. A test after a few days yes. 14 days, a ridiculous overreaction. Also the likelihood of spreading it after vaccination is Also miniscule. 

We know the at risk groups. We know that ivermectin works in early treatment. Stop the melodramatic emotional fear and get on with life. EVERYWHERE 

12 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Sorry, but no. A test after a few days yes. 14 days, a ridiculous overreaction. Also the likelihood of spreading it after vaccination is Also miniscule. 

We know the at risk groups. We know that ivermectin works in early treatment. Stop the melodramatic emotional fear and get on with life. EVERYWHERE 

I wasn’t debating the 14 days. I agree that after 5 or at the most 7 days you should have a PCR test and if clear then that’s fine. I recently got told to isolate for 10 days having been in close proximity to someone who was positive with the virus. I had a PCR test after day 5 which was negative but I was still advised to self isolate for the remaining 5 days. As we have seen many times, it’s all about “likelihood” or “a small chance of” etc. So yes, for the vast majority of people they could not isolate and not pass it on. But how would you feel if you didn’t isolate and then passed it on to an elderly friend or family member that then went in to die from Covid? A small chance I will die if I don’t wear my seat belt and I’m in a car accident, I still wear one. A small chance my house will catch fire and go up in flames. I still buy house insurance. It’s a probability and percentage chance game…

agree, the self appointed administrator of covid control sob should self isolate for at least 14 yrs. admiring his fabulous watch collection while the country he controls goes down the tubes. 

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

I wasn’t debating the 14 days. I agree that after 5 or at the most 7 days you should have a PCR test and if clear then that’s fine. I recently got told to isolate for 10 days having been in close proximity to someone who was positive with the virus. I had a PCR test after day 5 which was negative but I was still advised to self isolate for the remaining 5 days. As we have seen many times, it’s all about “likelihood” or “a small chance of” etc. So yes, for the vast majority of people they could not isolate and not pass it on. But how would you feel if you didn’t isolate and then passed it on to an elderly friend or family member that then went in to die from Covid? A small chance I will die if I don’t wear my seat belt and I’m in a car accident, I still wear one. A small chance my house will catch fire and go up in flames. I still buy house insurance. It’s a probability and percentage chance game…

Using the how would you feel if you passed it on thing is just more virtue signaling. We know who is at hi risk. 

We are doing so much exponentially more damage to people's lives and health with this ridiculous overreaction. 

Time for a return to sanity and the normal conditions. Thailand has failed to provide vaccines and that much is true. 

14 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Using the how would you feel if you passed it on thing is just more virtue signaling. We know who is at hi risk. 

We are doing so much exponentially more damage to people's lives and health with this ridiculous overreaction. 

Time for a return to sanity and the normal conditions. Thailand has failed to provide vaccines and that much is true. 

I do tend to agree with you where the population is largely vaccinated. However, in Thailand, it’s still all a bit up in the air. Tough choices that thankfully I don’t need to make. 

I had to Google “Virtue signalling”! 

Edited by Soidog

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I do tend to agree with you where the population is largely vaccinated. However, in Thailand, it’s still all a bit up in the air. Tough choices that thankfully I don’t need to make. 

You simply can't continue to do this to people, regardless of how well they are managing the vaccines. The damage being done is going to last for at least 5 years if it continues like this. 

Oh my, let’s all hope he was wearing his Amulet. What will the country ever do without him? Seems Phuket is a clusterfooch. 

22 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

You simply can't continue to do this to people, regardless of how well they are managing the vaccines. The damage being done is going to last for at least 5 years if it continues like this. 

I do share your frustration with all this and it’s certainly having a major impact of people’s life’s including suicides and increased family debt. I would imagine the nightmare scenario the government is trying to avoid is one where the health system becomes overwhelmed, as happened in India. I don’t think anyone would like to see scenes like that in Bangkok or anywhere else. Tough times ahead. 

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

You couldn’t make it up. I think I need to start using the abbreviation YCMIU as I find myself using it more and more often while reading these articles. 

But if you did (use "YCMIU", that is...) @King Cottonwould be on it like white on rice and invoke Article 15 of the Guidelines. To paraphrase the immortal words of Captain Barbarossa: "The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

(Disclaimer: This is a joke and should not be interpreted as a comment which would be a violation of "Rule" 15, which is an actual rule. Thank you.)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

That’s surprising. Virtue signaling is the single greatest rot that has afflicted expat forums over the past decade.

There is an epidemic of narcissism, most prevalent in the millennials but also quite apparent in the boomers.

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Surely it's a method of sending smoke signals using a heavy blanket?

10 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

That’s surprising. Virtue signaling is the single greatest rot that has afflicted expat forums over the past decade.

There is an epidemic of narcissism, most prevalent in the millennials but also quite apparent in the boomers.

I’m not normally one for forums, Facebook, Twitter etc. Having found out what it means, I think it’s infected the whole of western society. It’s seems everyone is rushing to prove they are nicer and enlightened than the next person. Be it Free school meals for kids or the right of people to have a fluid gender. I’m too old for that kind of nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Alas Soidog this is my affliction.

I am nicer and more enlightened than the next person, but nobody believes it, and it is so hard to prove!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Alas Soidog this is my affliction.

I am nicer and more enlightened than the next person, but nobody believes it, and it is so hard to prove!

And not to mention modest to a fault  also ;-)

• Haha 2