News Forum - How to not become another motorbike road death statistic in Thailand

Thaiger

While many have experience riding motorbikes, the driving situation in Thailand can be wildly different. As the Kingdom’s roads are ranked as some of the most dangerous in the world, it helps to have your wits about you when driving. As a visitor to this beautiful country, keep in mind that you are, indeed, an outsider. This can be felt in many different circumstances in Thailand, but it isn’t inclusive to this country. One thing of which to be aware is that of most accidents that involve a Thai person will end in the ex-pat, tourist, or ‘farang’ having to […]

The story How to not become another motorbike road death statistic in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

How not to become another road death statistic .? 

Amulets and loads of them will increase your protection so a outlet selling am's could be set up at the airport right outside arrivals to get the message across and make a few bucks at the same time .. not clear what level of protection they offer against getting " banged in the rear "  though .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Item 2 is wrong. In the U.K. at least, if you hit someone from behind it is your fault, not the car in front, no matter how abruptly the car stops. You should leave enough disgrace to always be able to stop. This is the exact opposite toy what Thais do whereby they leave no gap. 

I was told once, but don’t know if it’s true. When they were learning to drive in Thailand, the instructor told them to get closer to the car in front. They were told if you leave too much gap then not all the cars can fit on the road. Somehow I believe that !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

IWhen they were learning to drive in Thailand,

Are they learning to drive in Thailand? I thought the driving licence was given as a freebie in a pack of corn flakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

if you leave too much gap...

Then an idiot who shouldn't be on the road will manage to squeeze into the gap, even if you have to hit the brakes. Can you imagine leaving two seconds between cars on Thai roads? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

Then an idiot who shouldn't be on the road will manage to squeeze into the gap, even if you have to hit the brakes. Can you imagine leaving two seconds between cars on Thai roads? 

Yes I think that’s probably the real reason why 😂😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Manu said:

Are they learning to drive in Thailand? I thought the driving licence was given as a freebie in a pack of corn flakes.

That racket stopped . Now come with every bottle of Pepsi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

actual worthy tip

do not ever stop in the middle of a busy road waiting to cross to the right side, instead keep cruising gently until the other side is clear (while keeping an eye on your mirror for any big bike / minivan / SUV / Honda Wave coming at 200kph from below the horizon) then U-turn to your destination.

• Like 3

1. Keep a cool head. This goes for every situation in Thailand. If an accident happens and you can communicate, it is best to not show extreme emotions. As Thai culture views showing emotions as something only for rare occasions, flipping your lid at a Thai person over an accident won’t have a good outcome.

This is a cultural excuse for Thais to not be self aware... it builds resentment and does nothing to change poor behavior... no self responsibility or accountability is bred into every Thai... equals no self respect

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skip said:

This is a cultural excuse for Thais to not be self aware... it builds resentment and does nothing to change poor behavior... no self responsibility or accountability is bred into every Thai... equals no self respect

I think this strikes at the heart of many things that take place on Thai roads. I’m often bemused how on the one hand Thais can be gracious and polite, then stick them behind the wheel of a car and they become selfish and lacking any compassion. 

• Like 1