News Forum - Tourism Authority of Thailand: 18 million tourists in 2023

Thaiger

39 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Do you have any figures for this apart from an apparent racist take on Chinese tourists?

the truth is that they accounted for over 30% of tourist income and that is a significant chunk out of the Thai economy.

I said I don’t like the hordes or huge groups of Chinese, and the general consensus of many thai is the same. I travel a lot here and have lived here for decades. 
Since the movie Lost In Thailand came out, there was then a flood gate of Chinese groups and tourists starting and coming here and it got way-way out of total control. You had many thai coming here from elsewhere and setting up businesses who are not from Chiang Mai and that went belly up for them when Covid came. There needs to be better control over this but is impossible to do. No race in mass numbers is a good thing. 

I would tone down your name calling. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

hordes or huge groups of Chinese,

Language - you'll be saying "invasion" next.

Taiwanese, Chnis=ese and Koeans traditionally go on holiday in Charabang type groups - the hai tourist industry makes good money out of this.

Many Westerners see groups of tourists and label them all as Chinese - they also miss out on the tourists in smaller groups.

you claim of "consensus: is purely subjective - I wonder what their "consensus" of you is.

basically te only thing we know is you don't like them.

• Angry 1

20 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

No race in mass numbers is a good thing. 

Seriously???? What about Westerners, then?

Edited by cowslip
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cowslip said:

Language - you'll be saying "invasion" next.

Taiwanese, Chnis=ese and Koeans traditionally go on holiday in Charabang type groups - the hai tourist industry makes good money out of this.

Many Westerners see groups of tourists and label them all as Chinese - they also miss out on the tourists in smaller groups.

you claim of "consensus: is purely subjective - I wonder what their "consensus" of you is.

basically te only thing we know is you don't like them.

I know a lot of expats in Chiang Mai

And every single one of them have the same opinion

Pick an article, there is 1000's of them 

And the Chinese are a nuisance all over the world

A lot of them don't know how to behave, plain and simple

I also live in the most Asian populated city outside of Asia

No other Asian ethnicity acts as bad and ignorant as the Chinese 

We had a Chinese consulate in my worn building and the building had to put in measures so all the ignorant Chinese weren't rushing into elevators as soon as they opened and knocking into people 

Of course not all Chinese are bad or ignorant 

Unfortunately there are way too many that are

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I know a lot of expats in Chiang Mai

And every single one of them have the same opinion

Pick an article, there is 1000's of them 

And the Chinese are a nuisance all over the world

A lot of them don't know how to behave, plain and simple

I also live in the most Asian populated city outside of Asia

No other Asian ethnicity acts as bad and ignorant as the Chinese 

We had a Chinese consulate in my worn building and the building had to put in measures so all the ignorant Chinese weren't rushing into elevators as soon as they opened and knocking into people 

Of course not all Chinese are bad or ignorant 

Unfortunately there are way too many that are

Look - I worked in Thailand for 20 years - I worked with Thai people and trained Thai people to work in the tourist industry - and it's not my experience- I also worked with a lot of Chinese people who are employed by the Thai government and other companies both in training and executive rolls.

you on the other claim to "know a lot of Expats" - the truth is there are 65 million people in Thailand and you are not in a position to make. judgement - what inmost disturbing is you don't realise that you aren't.

all you are doing is rolling out racist cliches.

Edited by cowslip

The change in demographics and reduced prices  should encourage many westerners to come back to Thailand for a visit. Thailand was getting too expensive. I transit BKK regularly for my international flights and  a night at the airport Novotel was close to 10,000 on some nights. It's now down to an affordable 5,000. Quality brand hotels (especially Accor)  have deals on their rooms that are 3,000 baht a night in some places compared to the 5,000 they were 2 years ago.  There's a value proposition that hasn't been there in years and now's the time to take advantage of the reduced crowds.  It will be nice to go out for dinner during the peak season and not be subject to the  noisy packed restaurants and bars.

55 minutes ago, Vigo said:

The change in demographics and reduced prices  should encourage many westerners to come back to Thailand for a visit. Thailand was getting too expensive. I transit BKK regularly for my international flights and  a night at the airport Novotel was close to 10,000 on some nights. It's now down to an affordable 5,000. Quality brand hotels (especially Accor)  have deals on their rooms that are 3,000 baht a night in some places compared to the 5,000 they were 2 years ago.  There's a value proposition that hasn't been there in years and now's the time to take advantage of the reduced crowds.  It will be nice to go out for dinner during the peak season and not be subject to the  noisy packed restaurants and bars.

this all means less money coming in....the fact is that the amount of tourists forecasted for nest year is down by about 50% from the peak in 2018/2019. That's a hard hitter any industry.

They also have to take into account the effects of inflation on the Western economies. This could reduce spending.

Interestingly I saw a young couple on UK news that could no longer afford to buy a house due to the rise in interest rates so they decided to go on a gap year.

This is often the case in a recession - whilst top of the range purchases take a dive (houses /cars) the next rug down gets a boost as people put their money into a "second choice" - however it won't be obvious for a few months until after the high season/

Edited by cowslip

2 hours ago, cowslip said:

Look - I worked in Thailand for 20 years - I worked with Thai people and trained Thai people to work in the tourist industry - and it's not my experience- I also worked with a lot of Chinese people who are employed by the Thai government and other companies both in training and executive rolls.

you on the other claim to "know a lot of Expats" - the truth is there are 65 million people in Thailand and you are not in a position to make. judgement - what inmost disturbing is you don't realise that you aren't.

all you are doing is rolling out racist cliches.

I was in Chiang Mai in June

Was in a massage spa, a nice one

Getting a massage and these 6 Chinese came in and caused absolute havoc

No matter how many times the Thais asked them to be quiet, they ignored then

This happens on a daily basis in Chiang Mai all over

Again, my work building litteraly had ri put in measures because the ignorant Chinese were knocking over female employees coming out of the elevators 

I can a 100 more ignorant encounters

Many Chinese that travel outside of China are ignorant and don't know how to behave outside their own little world

If my many experiences make me racist 

Then I am gladly racist 

Just now, Marc26 said:

I was in Chiang Mai in June

Was in a massage spa, a nice one

Getting a massage and these 6 Chinese came in and caused absolute havoc

No matter how many times the Thais asked them to be quiet, they ignored then

This happens on a daily basis in Chiang Mai all over

Again, my work building litteraly had ri put in measures because the ignorant Chinese were knocking over female employees coming out of the elevators 

I can a 100 more ignorant encounters

Many Chinese that travel outside of China are ignorant and don't know how to behave outside their own little world

If my many experiences make me racist 

Then I am gladly racist 

"Then I am gladly racist " so be it.

you still don't understand the relationship between personal experience (6 people) and real perspective  60 million of 20 million tourists.

I could fill pages with anecdotal evidence of Brits bad behaviour and other Westerners, but I'm not that daft.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cowslip said:

"Then I am gladly racist " so be it.

you still don't understand the relationship between personal experience (6 people) and real perspective  60 million of 20 million tourists.

I could fill pages with anecdotal evidence of Brits bad behaviour and other Westerners, but I'm not that daft.

Of course I am not calling every Chinese ignorant 

But when there is 1000's and 1000's of stories of them behaving badly in Thailand and all over

When they are the only race that I personally witness or experience issues with over and over 

When their own Chinese government has to put out warnings on how they should behave when traveling

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-bell-ca-revc&source=android-browser&q=chinese+government+warns+chines+tourists+to+behvae

Again, go ahead and choose one of the x amount of stories about this  ^

It's a good enough sample size to form an opinion 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

But when there is 1000's and 1000's of stories of them behaving badly in Thailand and all over

do you realise how totally subjective that is - it is just purely confirmation bias.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

When they are the only race that I personally witness or experience issues with over and over 

When their own Chinese government has to put out warnings on how they should behave when traveling

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-bell-ca-revc&source=android-browser&q=chinese+government+warns+chines+tourists+to+behvae

..and this is exactly the same as the Brits abroad. again listen to your language "1000s and 1000s" - 

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You realy have no ability to understand large numbers - this thread is about tourist numbers in Thailand and you blinkered attitude means you have turned it into an anti-Chinese rant.