News Forum - Woman crawls off plane in Bangkok after allegedly being told to pay for wheelchair

Thaiger

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

To be honest

I'd much rather them keeping the lights down than keep the lights off longer than most of the Asian airlines I fly to Thailand that keep on the lights way too long so they cab go around trying to sell on-board duty free, at like 2-3am

I've complained to them many times 

I get on a plane with my own water and don't really care about anything else

If they serve food I find edible, great

If not, I will be extra hungry when I land and enjoy a proper meal I really like 

Nice idea about the water, but I've always had mine confiscated!

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

We flew Jetstar once in Vietnam and I said I'd never, ever fly them again 

I flew NoStar some years back on an internal flight and vowed never ever to use that junk airline unless my life depended on it. Even then, it would be an assessment I would argue against.

The airline would have been aware of special requirements for this passenger from before she boarded, giving them at least eight hours to have a chair ready on arrival in Bangkok. This smacks of incompetence by both the airline and its onboard staff, not surprising given it is totally no frills.

In future, spend a bit more money and fly a quality airline - not Qantas (the mother company that is also going downhill) that offers service and support.

1 hour ago, Viggen840 said:

The airline would have been aware of special requirements for this passenger from before she boarded, giving them at least eight hours to have a chair ready on arrival in Bangkok. This smacks of incompetence by both the airline and its onboard staff, not surprising given it is totally no frills.

In future, spend a bit more money and fly a quality airline - not Qantas (the mother company that is also going downhill) that offers service and support.

No,  the airline would not have been aware unless the passenger made the specific request. The obligation is on the passenger. Every airline requires  advance notice if an aisle chair is required. If the passenger did not make the request, that's her failure.  This is an Aisle  Chair and not a wheelchair and there is a significant difference  There are specific  codes that attach to the flight passenger manifest and the cabin crew must be forewarned because it impacts the safe boarding and deboarding of an aircraft in an emergency; WCHC -Wheelchair required; passenger cannot walk any distance and will require the aisle chair to board.  WCOB On-board aisle wheelchair requested (for use during flight).

Websites that support disabled travelers also make clear  the difference;

When you are making your flight reservation, be sure to notify the airline of any special assistance requests. If you cannot walk, they’ll need to organize assistance and an aisle chair for your convenience. On the day of travel, present yourself to the gate agent and remind him/her that you will require preboarding assistance and use of the aisle chair.

If you plan to travel by air with a disability, you should provide your airline with advance notice. Proper notice allows the air carrier time to make necessary preparations, ensuring that your accessibility needs are met. Travelers should also familiarize themselves with the disability services and policies specific to their airline.

https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/aisle-chair-boarding-airplane-disability/

This woman wanted her minute in the spotlight and she got it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BigHewer said:

A good friend of mine is an international cabin attendant for ANA. She said that typically more wheelchairs are needed for boarding than disembarking. How can that be possible? 🧐

I've witnessed this several times in varying airports. First type are the 'fraudulent' disabled who then 'qualify for priority boarding. The other type is a family group where one is in genuine need of assistance but the whole family (as many as eight) decide they all have to stick together so they assume they too will get priority boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

No pun intended? 

Of course a pun was intended (I like to believe that an appendix with a statement/emoticon to that effect would have been superfluous and even denigrating towards the receiving end). 

However, just to be clear, the "admire" part is utterly serious. If something just isn't right (in some fundamental respect, especially a moral one), it's wrong... challenging a wrong-doing (even it it goes against conventions/rules/laws) is right and admirable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mandy said:

Nice idea about the water, but I've always had mine confiscated!

You must have closed your eyes walking by all the stores that sell water in the airport 5555

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vigo said:

No,  the airline would not have been aware unless the passenger made the specific request. The obligation is on the passenger. Every airline requires  advance notice if an aisle chair is required. If the passenger did not make the request, that's her failure.  This is an Aisle  Chair and not a wheelchair and there is a significant difference  There are specific  codes that attach to the flight passenger manifest and the cabin crew must be forewarned because it impacts the safe boarding and deboarding of an aircraft in an emergency; WCHC -Wheelchair required; passenger cannot walk any distance and will require the aisle chair to board.  WCOB On-board aisle wheelchair requested (for use during flight).

Websites that support disabled travelers also make clear  the difference;

When you are making your flight reservation, be sure to notify the airline of any special assistance requests. If you cannot walk, they’ll need to organize assistance and an aisle chair for your convenience. On the day of travel, present yourself to the gate agent and remind him/her that you will require preboarding assistance and use of the aisle chair.

If you plan to travel by air with a disability, you should provide your airline with advance notice. Proper notice allows the air carrier time to make necessary preparations, ensuring that your accessibility needs are met. Travelers should also familiarize themselves with the disability services and policies specific to their airline.

https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/aisle-chair-boarding-airplane-disability/

This woman wanted her minute in the spotlight and she got it.

You obviously are in the field and know much more than any of us

But she looked paralyzed, wouldn't all of that be discussed at check-in or even the gate when she rocks up in a wheelchair?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You obviously are in the field and know much more than any of us

But she looked paralyzed, wouldn't all of that be discussed at check-in or even the gate when she rocks up in a wheelchair?

That's a result of the legroom (lack of) on modern aircraft , even if you have NO legs.

We are cattle with a number

On 11/3/2022 at 12:57 AM, BigHewer said:

A good friend of mine is an international cabin attendant for ANA. She said that typically more wheelchairs are needed for boarding than disembarking. How can that be possible? 🧐

That's a connected to NO legroom, and the life threatening Thrombosis that the narcissist Irish CEOs thrust upon the cattle, oops customers

Edited by avantgarde_a_clue
!

My father worked for one of the legacy international airlines in the USA for over 30 years. He once told me a story about how some routes would have a very high demand for wheelchairs. The current record, he told me, was a L-1011 flight from New York's JFK to Miami where 210 wheelchairs were requested!

I'm sure this incident was just a stupid mistake; you would think that an alert cabin-crew would simply provide the wheelchair and argue about the cost later, if that was in fact the issue.

• Like 1