News Forum - Thailand News Today | Thailand not ‘selling off’ country by letting foreigners buy land, says govt

Thaiger

The government’s plan to allow foreigners to own a limited amount of land in Thailand The government’s plan to allow foreigners to own a limited amount of land in Thailand is intended to benefit the Thai people and the government is not “selling off” the country to foreigners, as alleged by some, said a Deputy Government Spokesperson Tipanan Sirichana on Sunday. Responding to the Pheu Thai Party’s strong opposition to the plan, she explained that only four specific groups of foreigners, who have already obtained long-term resident visas and who meet the requirements will be allowed to own up to […]

The story Thailand News Today | Thailand not ‘selling off’ country by letting foreigners buy land, says govt as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

20 year lease ( non transferrable) with a genuine 20 year lease kicker for retirees on land and/or house etc , don't see a problem. 

Heck in 40 years who cares, definitely not the retiree.

Stuff of nightmares retiring to thailand and living another 40 years.🤪

The outcry this is causing is a very clear indication of just how backward looking and nationalistic the country is. Won’t change in the next 100 years. The only way to change the behaviour here is for other countries to apply parity to Thai nationals abroad. Take their businesses, property and land off them.  Do it properly and apply market value but after that ban them. The ones most affected are the mega wealthy Thais, the ones who can influence the politics and policies of their home country. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The outcry this is causing is a very clear indication of just how backward looking and nationalistic the country is. Won’t change in the next 100 years. The only way to change the behaviour here is for other countries to apply parity to Thai nationals abroad. Take their businesses, property and land off them.  Do it properly and apply market value but after that ban them. The ones most affected are the mega wealthy Thais, the ones who can influence the politics and policies of their home country. 

Although I think there could be some sensible policies put in place, I do think it is a much bigger balancing act than you think

Look at where I live, a much richer country than Thailand and people with normal jobs can't afford to buy property

The country literally sold out generations from never owning a proper home for foreign money...........

So a much poorer country like Thailand has to be even more vigilant 

This was partial topic brought up at the dinner table tonight by my son, but only after it was mentioned in the news. He had read about it online as us a topic with the Thai. Unfortunately I did not see the new requirements of less investment here, but I did mention to them the million dollar wild card. My son actually knows a little about this now and said this is going to open up the flood gates for the Chinese to herd in based on their sheer numbers. He knows many Thai friends and family who live in or bought condos and conversation if what is being passed around on the social media. They are certainly not happy about this and know first hand of too many of them here before Covid.
My take is it may also be the down and dirty CCP will illegitimately fund proxies in order to get a stronger Chinese presence dug in here like the Chinese seem to dig in anywhere and every where the can. 

Bottom line is the younger gen of Thai see an influx stampede infiltration of Chinese going to be everywhere here. I can’t say he and what he says of the topic going around is wrong is. They certainly have made an alarming saturation everywhere even up to my birth home in the Bay Area. They need to limit races and countries and get their heads out if their greedy illiterate behinds. 

There are more better deserving people than this money grab. 

21 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

This was partial topic brought up at the dinner table tonight by my son, but only after it was mentioned in the news. He had read about it online as us a topic with the Thai. Unfortunately I did not see the new requirements of less investment here, but I did mention to them the million dollar wild card. My son actually knows a little about this now and said this is going to open up the flood gates for the Chinese to herd in based on their sheer numbers. He knows many Thai friends and family who live in or bought condos and conversation if what is being passed around on the social media. They are certainly not happy about this and know first hand of too many of them here before Covid.
My take is it may also be the down and dirty CCP will illegitimately fund proxies in order to get a stronger Chinese presence dug in here like the Chinese seem to dig in anywhere and every where the can. 

Bottom line is the younger gen of Thai see an influx stampede infiltration of Chinese going to be everywhere here. I can’t say he and what he says of the topic going around is wrong is. They certainly have made an alarming saturation everywhere even up to my birth home in the Bay Area. They need to limit races and countries and get their heads out if their greedy illiterate behinds. 

There are more better deserving people than this money grab. 

Yes

People are scoffing at the stipulation that it is only 1 rai of land but that would allow the Chinese to come in and buy up all sorts of areas in Bangkok and the surrounding areas 

58 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Although I think there could be some sensible policies put in place, I do think it is a much bigger balancing act than you think

Look at where I live, a much richer country than Thailand and people with normal jobs can't afford to buy property

The country literally sold out generations from never owning a proper home for foreign money...........

So a much poorer country like Thailand has to be even more vigilant 

I agree it’s not a one size fits all. But controlled and managed immigration which Includes the rights to own a business. Buy certain land and own a house is something most developed and wealthy countries have implemented. The thing holding back the Thais isn’t that they wish to tread carefully to get the right operating model, it’s the ingrained fear of foreigners. 

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Bottom line is the younger gen of Thai see an influx stampede infiltration of Chinese going to be everywhere here.

I just don’t see this happening. First thing to note is that the Chinese have already fully embedded themselves in Thailand. Most wealthy Thais are Chinese Thais. Chinese have been able to buy property for years here and yet it’s not saturated with them. I think it’s utterly short sighted to assume the country would be filled with Chinese. If that’s the fear, then limit the kind of land they can buy (I think this plan already does that). Make sure it’s not within 5km of the beach or in prime real estate areas of Bangkok such as the riverside. This mass invasion and pushing land and house prices up and out of the reach of normal Thais is just plain wrong and short sighted. Thailand isn’t Monaco or Geneva we are talking about. And remember, China has some exclusive real estate areas of its own. No need to move to Thailand to do well with property speculation. Fear mongering and the kids are brainwashed by it 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I just don’t see this happening. First thing to note is that the Chinese have already fully embedded themselves in Thailand. Most wealthy Thais are Chinese Thais. Chinese have been able to buy property for years here and yet it’s not saturated with them. I think it’s utterly short sighted to assume the country would be filled with Chinese. If that’s the fear, then limit the kind of land they can buy (I think this plan already does that). Make sure it’s not within 5km of the beach or in prime real estate areas of Bangkok such as the riverside. This mass invasion and pushing land and house prices up and out of the reach of normal Thais is just plain wrong and short sighted. Thailand isn’t Monaco or Geneva we are talking about. And remember, China has some exclusive real estate areas of its own. No need to move to Thailand to do well with property speculation. Fear mongering and the kids are brainwashed by it 

You do realize the vast majority of Chinese money put into overseas real estate is not for speculative profit but to move their money out of China?

And as I pointed out, the 1 rai of land is basically any plot in Bangkok and the surrounding suburbs of Bangkok

And you are talking about 2 different sets of people. Wealthy Thais of Chinese heritage are mostly already in Thailand for decades

I don't think you realize how many Chinese that would fall into these requirements there are, always looking to move money out of China

My building is full of them, as well as the whole city

There sure is a lot of Vancouverites in their 20,30's and 40's that wish there was a bit more fear mongering going on here 20 years ago....................

It has happened all over the world

And it has happened right next door in Cambodia

So I don't know how you can brush it off as scare mongering.................

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I don't think you realize how many Chinese that would fall into these requirements there are, always looking to move money out of China

My building is full of them, as well as the whole city

Exactly Marc. There are many many places already in the world where people who want to move money out of China can place it, including Thailand. In most cases they will also be placing it in a far more politically stable location than Thailand such as Canada and U.K. In other words, they can and have been doing for decades. So why does Thailand think there is a tsunami of Chinese just waiting to get their hands on land in Thailand? Especially with all of the investment and risks associated with it in 10 years from now. 

Im surprised how many westerners who see a few thousand Chinese buying property in their own rich countries think like Thais do. It is utter utter nonsense. If it were true, why isn’t every condo block in the entire country already 49% full of Chinese? If it’s only to move money out of China then they can do it in Thailand already. 

The fact is, the government know what is coming in the next 50 years. They know that with an aging population they are going to have to move to a more international model. We also don’t know what political pressure is being applied given there are many wealthy Thais and Thai multinational companies who want more open trading. Thailand can’t keep living in the 19th century and expect to keep up with the rest of the world. This is a small first step and many more need to come regarding work and immigration rules. This is the right move in the right direction for the country. 

20 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Exactly Marc. There are many many places already in the world where people who want to move money out of China can place it, including Thailand. In most cases they will also be placing it in a far more politically stable location than Thailand such as Canada and U.K. In other words, they can and have been doing for decades. So why does Thailand think there is a tsunami of Chinese just waiting to get their hands on land in Thailand? Especially with all of the investment and risks associated with it in 10 years from now. 

Im surprised how many westerners who see a few thousand Chinese buying property in their own rich countries think like Thais do. It is utter utter nonsense. If it were true, why isn’t every condo block in the entire country already 49% full of Chinese? If it’s only to move money out of China then they can do it in Thailand already. 

The fact is, the government know what is coming in the next 50 years. They know that with an aging population they are going to have to move to a more international model. We also don’t know what political pressure is being applied given there are many wealthy Thais and Thai multinational companies who want more open trading. Thailand can’t keep living in the 19th century and expect to keep up with the rest of the world. This is a small first step and many more need to come regarding work and immigration rules. This is the right move in the right direction for the country. 

I don't know where you live but in Canada, it's not just a "few 1000 Chinese "

But you do have a point that they would look to move their money to more stable countries 

48 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't know where you live but in Canada, it's not just a "few 1000 Chinese "

But you do have a point that they would look to move their money to more stable countries 

There are about 400,000 Chinese in the U.K.  all hard working in the main and present no problem to society. 

Thais need not worry.  Its a very bad deal for anyone with money, so the take up will be low .  The only thing they need to worry about is money laundering and under the table deals by those many criminal Chinese with eyes on ripping off Thailand .  But they are in hock to the Chinese already, so not much will change.  As for any farangs going for this deal, they need their heads examining, or they have more money than judgement.  

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Chiang Mai was saturated before Covid and they were totally everywhere digging in. Have a Consulate here for them too. I don’t think you are talking about Chinese people from China. Fear mongering getting the best of the Thai people is unfounded as they have seen it with their own eyes. I tend to fully disagree with you that the Chinese won’t jump more into here than they ever have before. Close to home, and easy to take now the gates are open. Saw it at my ho e in USA and seen it here already in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

When considering Chinese and then the underhanded CCP, nothing is off the table. Wish the Thai and I was wrong or will be wrong, but too many of them and too many with wealth. 

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Chiang Mai was saturated before Covid and they were totally everywhere digging in. Have a Consulate here for them too. I don’t think you are talking about Chinese people from China. Fear mongering getting the best of the Thai people is unfounded as they have seen it with their own eyes. I tend to fully disagree with you that the Chinese won’t jump more into here than they ever have before. Close to home, and easy to take now the gates are open. Saw it at my ho e in USA and seen it here already in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

When considering Chinese and then the underhanded CCP, nothing is off the table. Wish the Thai and I was wrong or will be wrong, but too many of them and too many with wealth. 

I’m sure there will be what is considered a lot compared to now. But as I said in a related post, the U.K. has around 450,000 Chinese and so what. They bring a lot to the economy and live peacefully. Of course, such an influx in to a place like Thailand would be seen as disastrous. It isn’t.  The immigration which is killing the U.K. are mainly Pakistani, Albanian and a few too many from places like Afghanistan. That said, many are hard working and contribute. Unfortunately a sizeable minority don’t and even their kids born in the U.K. go on to be problematic too often. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I’m sure there will be what is considered a lot compared to now. But as I said in a related post, the U.K. has around 450,000 Chinese and so what. They bring a lot to the economy and live peacefully. Of course, such an influx in to a place like Thailand would be seen as disastrous. It isn’t.  The immigration which is killing the U.K. are mainly Pakistani, Albanian and a few too many from places like Afghanistan. That said, many are hard working and contribute. Unfortunately a sizeable minority don’t and even their kids born in the U.K. go on to be problematic too often. 

Sorry, but if it gets to line it was before Covid then it is already too much and overkill lopsided. Don’t know where you live but it was too much and I am out and about in CM snd travel around the country a lot. Bring a lot or not to the economy, it negatively impacts quality of life 

24 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sorry, but if it gets to line it was before Covid then it is already too much and overkill lopsided. Don’t know where you live but it was too much and I am out and about in CM snd travel around the country a lot. Bring a lot or not to the economy, it negatively impacts quality of life 

Are you referring to Chinese tourists or permanent residents? 

25 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Are you referring to Chinese tourists or permanent residents? 

Let’s be clear that they are not permanent residents like the major majority of all us expats are not. Now if that somehow gets them an easy PR then something is surely going to be rotten in the State of Siam.

I think there needs to be an in place balance here for all races, and simply opening up the flood gates for people with no real attachment here as family or married or long time spent is ridiculous. Obviously the rich or wealthy or very well off are only what these bozos making these gimmicks up are geared for, but this has a probability of getting warped and out of line very quickly. Seeing here over how tourism blistered with overkill, and how many truly bought condos from what I have personally heard and seen, it is sincerely a recipe for disaster, and with also judging how many bought a huge amount of property in the USA from where I am from, I am very leery about this and how it will I think inevitably spiral for the one race. 

Again I hope I am wrong, but until then I will just keep an eye out. Luckily where I am there are no homes for sale, but next door there is still 2-3 other lots being developed. 

On 10/31/2022 at 11:00 AM, Thaiger said:

The government’s plan to allow foreigners to own a limited amount of land in Thailand is intended to benefit the Thai people and the government is not “selling off” the country to foreigners,

what's the problem with owning a bit of ground .. it's not like your gonna dig a big hole and take the dirt with you if you naff off is it .. they get too uptight over nothing sometimes .. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

I don't know how it is in the UK

And BC finally put measures in(damage already done though ), but the Chinese did not have to live here to buy up all the property

Or lived here briefly, then left after buying property

So the actual population figures would be irrelevant in Canada's case

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't know how it is in the UK

And BC finally put measures in(damage already done though ), but the Chinese did not have to live here to buy up all the property

Or lived here briefly, then left after buying property

So the actual population figures would be irrelevant in Canada's case

Well from what I read today, I think these conversations are moot. Government already backtracking or modifying plans further. It basically won’t happen. Another missed opportunity to drag Thailand up the next rung of development ladder missed I’m afraid. “Keep Thailand for Thais”. Yeah right. What they mean is Keep Thailand for Rich Thais and keep poor Thais poor.