News Forum - Thais in top 5 most anxious, stressed nations in the world, says Gallup book

Thaiger

A new book published by Gallup reveals confidence is falling and stress and anxiety are rising among the people of Thailand. The book, Blind Spot, highlighted the percentage of Thai people who said they were worried for much of the previous day doubled between 2012 (18%) and 2019 (36%). It then surged again after the COVID-19 pandemic, to 50% in 2020 and 46% in 2021. Similarly, the percentage who reported a lot of stress the previous day rose from 17% in 2012 to 44% in 2021. The Gallup World Poll revealed the percentage of people across the world who experienced worry […]

The story Thais in top 5 most anxious, stressed nations in the world, says Gallup book as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

26 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Nonsense !!!

Yeah I would say the same as is pure fabricated malarkey. But it is the CCP lover who wrote it and put it out there so should be tossed in the garbage can.

• Like 3

fifth place behind Afghanistan, Mali, Bangladesh, and Venezuela.

Even in trashy articles Thailand keeping good international company again.

Pnut must be so proud.

7 minutes ago, palooka said:

fifth place behind Afghanistan, Mali, Bangladesh, and Venezuela.

Even in trashy articles Thailand keeping good international company again.

Pnut must be so proud.

The submitter or author or copy and twist it to his twisted viewpoints person (Bobb Bob Scott) is discredited for anything I see from him. Always uttere poppycock from his, or her tongue fingers on the keyboard. I sincerely hope I never meet this person in CM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Nonsense !!!

Why would you say it's nonsense?

Most Thais I know are constantly stressed out, mostly over financial situation

PS..........You and I are sure disagreeing a lot lately! But cordially  :)

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Why would you say it's nonsense?

Most Thais I know are constantly stressed out, mostly over financial situation

PS..........You and I are sure disagreeing a lot lately! But cordially  :)

Well compared to many western countries I see very little stress here. The media in the west makes sure we are presented with doom and gloom on the economy, nuclear war just over the horizon. Cost of living crisis and everyone going to die of cold weather. Global warming and cataclysmic events. Always told to make sure we have life insurance and even paying in advance for our funerals. Only allowed to relax and party on a Friday and Saturday as lots of work mid week. Traffic jams and increasing crimes. Gender identity and the fear of misgendering someone. Body shaming and sexism. Black lives matter and police racism. School massacres….   And on and on and on it goes in the west. Good old fashioned making ends meet financially seems child's play in comparison!

I certainly would be surprised to see them in the top 5 in the world. I’d have thought

Ukraine

Libya

Myanmar

Afghanistan

Syria

Somalia

Yemen

Iraq 

Iran 

We’re all more stressful places right now. Add a few western countries that have very little to be stressed about but are, and I’d see Thailand somewhere around 20-30th in the world. That’s why I reckon the article is nonsense.

PS  I have no problems with disagreements as long as people don’t become disagreeable 😉  keep the friendly debates coming 👍🏻

PPS: I do think the younger Thais are more stressed  mainly because they are subjected to the same clap trap nonsense on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook as many in the world.  Suicide rates are getting worse and that’s a major concern for the 16-25 year olds. The kids are stressed and the adults don’t know how to get them to open up and share their concerns.  Sad to see  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well compared to many western countries I see very little stress here. The media in the west makes sure we are presented with doom and gloom on the economy, nuclear war just over the horizon. Cost of living crisis and everyone going to die of cold weather. Global warming and cataclysmic events. Always told to make sure we have life insurance and even paying in advance for our funerals. Only allowed to relax and party on a Friday and Saturday as lots of work mid week. Traffic jams and increasing crimes. Gender identity and the fear of misgendering someone. Body shaming and sexism. Black lives matter and police racism. School massacres….   And on and on and on it goes in the west. Good old fashioned making ends meet financially seems child's play in comparison!

I certainly would be surprised to see them in the top 5 in the world. I’d have thought

Ukraine

Libya

Myanmar

Afghanistan

Syria

Somalia

Yemen

Iraq 

Iran 

We’re all more stressful places right now. Add a few western countries that have very little to be stressed about but are, and I’d see Thailand somewhere around 20-30th in the world. That’s why I reckon the article is nonsense.

PS  I have no problems with disagreements as long as people don’t become disagreeable 😉  keep the friendly debates coming 👍🏻

I think this may be a case where you aren't involved with a Thai family, so you don't see it

Considering most of the country is lower to lower middle class(or worse), there is massive financial stress on a daily basis

Children's schooling probably being the biggest stress for families 

School is never really free with uniforms, some sort of small tuition, lunch and all sorts of expenses, it is a constant struggle for people with even a halfway decent job

A village elementary school is still costing a family 10k+ per year, if not more

My son goes to Thammasat, a public university, so they are the most affordable

School alone(no books, uniforms, living expenses) is close to 100k/year

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am fortunate in that we don't have any or much Thai family drama and nothing nefarious like drunks or gamblers

My in-laws ain't rich by any means but they get by but expenses are always a struggle

@Soidog

^ I will add, I grew up as poor as you could

No hot water for years, evicted from public housing, all sorts of things like that

I never, ever had to worry about my edcuation

My mom never had to worry about paying a dime for my education and lunch was free

To not have the worry of education hanging over you is immense

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I think this may be a case where you aren't involved with a Thai family, so you don't see it

Considering most of the country is lower to lower middle class(or worse), there is massive financial stress on a daily basis

Children's schooling probably being the biggest stress for families 

School is never really free with uniforms, some sort of small tuition, lunch and all sorts of expenses, it is a constant struggle for people with even a halfway decent job

A village elementary school is still costing a family 10k+ per year, if not more

My son goes to Thammasat, a public university, so they are the most affordable

School alone(no books, uniforms, living expenses) is close to 100k/year

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am fortunate in that we don't have any or much Thai family drama and nothing nefarious like drunks or gamblers

My in-laws ain't rich by any means but they get by but expenses are always a struggle

Possibly. But I still think life in any of the countries I listed is more stressful than Thailand right now? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Possibly. But I still think life in any of the countries I listed is more stressful than Thailand right now? 

Yeah I was more thinking of countries without any sort of war concerns

For a "normal' country, I do find that the average Thai is pretty stressed about finances

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

@Soidog

^ I will add, I grew up as poor as you could

No hot water for years, evicted from public housing, all sorts of things like that

I never, ever had to worry about my edcuation

My mom never had to worry about paying a dime for my education and lunch was free

To not have the worry of education hanging over you is immense

Your education and lunch were free for you... because myself and others paid for it.

Most of the issues are self inflicted. The problem for Thais face value is the most important in life, They will do everything for that and ending up putting themselves in difficult situation. They have to try to live within their means. Most of Thais are trying to live other peoples lifestyle. They are not ready to accept the reality and live accordingly. In the end, it is all can be avoided if they think of themselves when living and not about what others think about them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skip said:

Your education and lunch were free for you... because myself and others paid for it.

I didn’t say that. Don’t know why you included me in that ? 

16 hours ago, Skip said:

My mom's and deceased dad's taxes paid for it..... 

But I'd gladly compare my tax returns to yours over our lifetimes

I guarantee I've paid millions(with many M's) more in taxes than you have 

And hopefully it goes to a good public school system 

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Most of the issues are self inflicted. The problem for Thais face value is the most important in life, They will do everything for that and ending up putting themselves in difficult situation. They have to try to live within their means. Most of Thais are trying to live other peoples lifestyle. They are not ready to accept the reality and live accordingly. In the end, it is all can be avoided if they think of themselves when living and not about what others think about them. 

That is trotted out on these forums as another forum folklore

What Thais do you know that live beyond their means, moreso than any other people?

I know a wide demographic of Thais

Most are just getting by

People will enivtably point to household debt 

Compare it to other countries, and it's pretty much inline

When the average salary in a country for even University graduates is miniscule compared to other countries but many still need essential things like a house and a car. Household debt will always be high 

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

My mom's and deceased dad's taxes paid for it..... 

But I'd gladly compare my tax returns to yours over our lifetimes

I guarantee I've paid millions(with many M's) more in taxes than you have 

And hopefully it goes to a good public school system 

Your dick is probably bigger as well...

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

I didn’t say that. Don’t know why you included me in that ? 

I didn't include you at all since it wasn't you who referred to school being free

Hey Guys.....

Let's focus on the topic of the thread instead of the casual side inferences about other members.

Also, prefer to avoid it descending into the Monty Python sketch about claiming who was poorest when they were growing up!

Thanks

• Like 1

Of course they are stressed.  It's all hidden away, not express feelings . I guess telling pollsters anonymously is ok.  But they don't reveal themselves to many others 

7 minutes ago, Thai3rdworld said:

Of course they are stressed.  It's all hidden away, not express feelings . I guess telling pollsters anonymously is ok.  But they don't reveal themselves to many others 

How many people, anywhere, express stress

(Well except my sister, who will tell anyone how awful her life is )

But in general I don't see Thais any different than anyone else in how they handle the stresses of life 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:00 PM, Thaiger said:

A new book published by Gallup reveals confidence is falling and stress and anxiety are rising among the people of Thailand. The book, Blind Spot, highlighted the percentage of Thai people who said they were worried for much of the previous day doubled between 2012 (18%) and 2019 (36%). It then surged again after the COVID-19 pandemic, to 50% in 2020 and 46% in 2021. Similarly, the percentage who reported a lot of stress the previous day rose from 17% in 2012 to 44% in 2021. The Gallup World Poll revealed the percentage of people across the world who experienced worry […]

The story Thais in top 5 most anxious, stressed nations in the world, says Gallup book as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This piece of news is making me stress already