News Forum - Rishi Sunak becomes first Asian UK PM

Thaiger

Former Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak will be the UK’s next prime minister after winning the Conservative Party leadership contest. His nearest rival Penny Mordaunt dropped out of the race in the final minutes before nominations closed. The 42 year old will become the UK’s first British Asian PM. Nearly 200 Conservative MPs backed the former chancellor ahead of the nomination deadline tonight while Mordaunt dropped out after failing to secure enough support among MPs. Mordant sent her best wishes to Sunak via Twitter. “This decision is an historic one and shows, once again, the diversity and talent of […]

The story Rishi Sunak becomes first Asian UK PM as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

16 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Former Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak will be the UK’s next prime minister after winning the Conservative Party leadership contest. His nearest rival Penny Mordaunt dropped out of the race in the final minutes before nominations closed. The 42 year old will become the UK’s first British Asian PM. Nearly 200 Conservative MPs backed the former chancellor ahead of the nomination deadline tonight while Mordaunt dropped out after failing to secure enough support among MPs. Mordant sent her best wishes to Sunak via Twitter. “This decision is an historic one and shows, once again, the diversity and talent of […]

The story Rishi Sunak becomes first Asian UK PM as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

He’s not. He’s British, not Asian. Born in Southampton in 1980. His parents are Asian. 

• Like 5

A very wonderful news today especially since today is Diwali, one of Indian's most important day of celebration. Now they have another reason to celebrate - the first Maharajah of UK Rishi Sunak! 

Delighted that Rishi Sunak is the new Prime Minister. 

He's a Man of common sense, and a Brexiteer.

And it's going to hurt The Marxist Labour Party because their not going to be able to play the race card with him.

Well done Rishi (now get to work).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

He’s not. He’s British, not Asian. Born in Southampton in 1980. His parents are Asian. 

Can't he be both? British by birth, with Asian ethnicity 

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Can't he be both? British by birth, with Asian ethnicity 

Well I think that’s my point. No I don’t think you can be both. Just as you can’t be an African American. You choose. Are you African or American? You can’t be British and be Asian. I don’t mind which you wish to identify as, but choose. I have no issue with Asians living in Britain. But you can’t be both. Sorry, but you did ask 😉

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 23RD said:

Delighted that Rishi Sunak is the new Prime Minister. 

He's a Man of common sense, and a Brexiteer.

And it's going to hurt The Marxist Labour Party because their not going to be able to play the race card with him.

Well done Rishi (now get to work).

He wanted a soft Brexit though.

Not the rabid nationalist Brexit we ended up with.

Expect to see some changes to how the UK does business with the EU soon. Ultimately we will be rejoining the single market.

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

But Southampton is not that far from Asia, it's closer than Hebrides for instance. 

The good old gutter journalists just can't resist a poke at the colour of Rishi's skin.

Woo hoo,  a man who thinks and acts like a hedge fund manager will now be PM. No vision, no heartfelt dream, no fire in the soul, but  a desk bound man who will view everything as a chart or a data pile. Yes, maybe that's what the UK needs now to clean up the Truss muss, but in 6-12 months, that won't be enough for the people. They will want someone with a vision and sense of purpose. He's bland and uninspiring, much like John Major, Ramsay McDonald, Gordon Brown or David Cameron.  What the people will want is imaginative substance, an enthusiastic visionary, like Tony Blair, Churchill, Thatcher and Attlee.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cqman said:

Usual w.o.k.e racism. He is not Asian, he is 100% British, born British, raised British. Why are w.o.k.e obsessed with the skin color of people ?

And why do you feel it inappropriate to celebrate his heritage. Pretty clear the man himself does not.

https://www.outlookindia.com/international/uk-a-rewarding-karma-bhoomi-potential-british-pm-rishi-sunak-reflects-on-his-indian-heritage-news-206263

Who is actually being "Woke"?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Woo hoo,  a man who thinks and acts like a hedge fund manager will now be PM. No vision, no heartfelt dream, no fire in the soul, but  a desk bound man who will view everything as a chart or a data pile. Yes, maybe that's what the UK needs now to clean up the Truss muss, but in 6-12 months, that won't be enough for the people. They will want someone with a vision and sense of purpose. He's bland and uninspiring, much like John Major, Ramsay McDonald, Gordon Brown or David Cameron.  What the people will want is imaginative substance, an enthusiastic visionary, like Tony Blair, Churchill, Thatcher and Attlee.

Shame Vigo, for once I was about to totally agree with you and then just in the last sentence, those 2 names: T Blair (???) and Tatcher (this one not because she was not an "enthusiastic visionary", just the wrong enthusiastic vision in my humble opinion, to say the least).

I don't see the need for his skin colour to be mentioned, as frequently as it is.

As for the 'woke' comments; it sounds as if some people are attempting to introduce bias...

I am not sure why there are people still in this world with their colonial mindset thinking they are great above all. The world has unified long time ago. It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white as long as it catches the mice. That is important. Only those who cannot compete in the global race will tend to play their racial sentiments to gain popularity and power. Beneath the skin all the blood is "RED"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

He wanted a soft Brexit though.

Not the rabid nationalist Brexit we ended up with.

Expect to see some changes to how the UK does business with the EU soon. Ultimately we will be rejoining the single market.

I agree and very much hope we do rejoin the single market. Just not the entire EU. Happy with a Norway model and part of the EEA

• Like 1