News Forum - Xi Jinping sets record-breaking precedent with third term reappointment as general secretary

Thaiger

China’s president Xi Jinping is breaking the record of term limits by recently being confirmed as the leader of the Chinese Communist Party for a third term. According to The Guardian, Xi was unveiled as general secretary of the party, tilting the country back toward a one-man rule after decades of sharing power among the elite. The long-speculated reappointment signalled Xi’s successful consolidation of power in China’s capital. He has retained the role as chair of the military commission, controlling the People’s Liberation Army. But, it is expected that he will regain the less powerful title of president next year. […]

The story Xi Jinping sets record-breaking precedent with third term reappointment as general secretary as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

This day, while not unexpected, is a significant one in human history.

A couple of ideas pop into my head...

First, it's all him now. The fate of China and large parts of the planet are going to rest on what Xi, and Xi alone, decides on issues, and that scares the hell out of me. Simply put, everybody, I mean everybody, is wrong at times; that is simply humanity and life. However, when you are the sole voice governing a billion plus people directly and greatly influencing hundreds of millions more indirectly and you get something wrong; yikes.

Second, it seems like Taiwan is being teed up for invasion when XI (inevitably) needs a distraction from a mistake; why else put such emphasis on it? The sad part is invading Taiwan, even if successful, won't add anything to the mainland Chinese empire as Taiwan's strengths are its culture, people, ethos, acumen and diligence; these aren't transferable assets.

Third, if Xi were an outward-looking leader like Deng who saw a peaceful rise of China within an international system, I'd sleep a lot better. However, all that I read says that Xi is more inward-looking, less free-market and more state-controlling, and doesn't seem to value the individual (except, of course, himself). What this means is conflict with the outside almost as a default position; it is a dangerous mindset and can easily get out of control.

Finally, the ascent of one-man rule closes off so many modes of thought that China will need, but won't have. If the leader's 'Thoughts' are added to the Party Dogma, then contrary ideas, no matter how good, are heretical; it promotes a dangerous 'group think' which rarely provides for the best course forward.

I can't help but think back to the times of Mao; yes, good things did occur, but so did some of the most horrid events in human history; the 'Great Leap Forward' will be voted on by future historians as one of the worst government policies ever conceived (along with Brexit, but that is another post).

Buckle up; humanity's journey just got a lot more dangerous and uncertain.

• Like 4

Whatever people may think about Xi doesn't matter. The important question is. "Has Xi delivered his services to his people? Has poverty in the country eradicated? Has corruption in the country gone down? Has the economy of the country boomed? Is the everything functioning and benefiting the future of the country?" If all these questions are "YES" Then he is the ultimate leader. Do take note that China has never invaded any country by force killing millions or never instruct or direct any developing country to join force with it and oppose others. There is no enemy nation for China. It is all win-win situation for both. All they want is to secure their business in the economical way. If other countries are not smart enough to think and work accordingly, then it is not China's fault. I wish Xi continue his legacy as long as he can. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is every bit the population's fault.  This is what happens when 1.4 billion people don't care about various forms of freedom and now they live under a dictator.  It seems to be the current trend in Asia.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Maxellus said:

This is every bit the population's fault.  This is what happens when 1.4 billion people don't care about various forms of freedom and now they live under a dictator.  It seems to be the current trend in Asia.

That and the fact that Asia is   booming at the moment, too.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Do take note that China has never invaded any country by force killing millions or never instruct or direct any developing country to join force with it and oppose others

Tibet, Vietnam, numerous skirmishes on the borders with India, claiming the whole of the South China Sea up to the 12 mile limit of several other countries, historical conflicts with Russia. Taiwan was only part of China from the end of the 17th century until the end of the 19th century, and became part of China after being invaded by the Chinese. That is just a few off the top of my head, I am sure I can find plenty more after spending a bit of time chatting with Mr. Google.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Tibet, Vietnam, numerous skirmishes on the borders with India, claiming the whole of the South China Sea up to the 12 mile limit of several other countries, historical conflicts with Russia. Taiwan was only part of China from the end of the 17th century until the end of the 19th century, and became part of China after being invaded by the Chinese. That is just a few off the top of my head, I am sure I can find plenty more after spending a bit of time chatting with Mr. Google.

Invaded by force killing millions? I think not. Google away, to your hearts content.

Happy Googling. 😀

21 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Invaded by force killing millions? I think not. Google away, to your hearts content.

Happy Googling. 😀

Correct. They are too busy killing thousands and soon millions of their own people who disagree with Xi. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Poolie said:

That and the fact that Asia is   booming at the moment, too.

That's funny. I can only presume you meant imploding. Xi's appointment has spooked the Asian markets. Massive selloffs and indexes in decline (fearing more zero COVID lockdowns).

• Like 1