News Forum - Thai people – 13 types of smiles of Thai people

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/f6Q5Jtp1Bzc Thai people have 13 different types of smiles, that’s why Thailand is called the land of smiles. *flash a smile- ping sound* But not all smiles are created equal though, out of the 13 smiles? only 3 are happy ones.  *crying sounds* This is why it might be a bit hard for non-Thais to understand why some Thai people love to smile while telling a sad story or when they’re trying to apologize for their wrongdoings. In this episode, I have invited my Thai colleagues to help me act out these different types of smiles, and have our non-Thai […]

The story Thai people – 13 types of smiles of Thai people as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Some Thai words (certain vowel/consonants) can not be properly pronounced without smiling. That's why when you watch a Thai speak they will flash a smile. 

This is another one of those “Amazing Thailand stories”. Total load of nonsense of course. If there are13 types of smiles in Thailand, then there are in every other country. Perhaps with the exception of Russia and Germany😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

This is another one of those “Amazing Thailand stories”. Total load of nonsense of course. If there are13 types of smiles in Thailand, then there are in every other country. Perhaps with the exception of Russia and Germany😉

I don't know about that

Now I don't know about 13 smiles

But Thais will definitely smile in situations that a lot wouldn't 

And yes, it can mean much more than just a happy smile 

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

How about 2 types. Phony and real. A smirk can be construed as a Thai smile as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

How about 2 types. Phony and real. A smirk can be construed as a Thai smile as well. 

Exactly. In all countries people smile when happy. Some smile when embarrassed. Some smile sarcastically. Some also smile when angry or disappointed. It’s not a smile as such. I simply do not believe Thai people have any more smile expressions than many other countries. And if they do, it’s certainly not 13. They may very well be more happier people and smile because of being happy. But that’s a different thing entirely.

Right now, there are few Thai smiles as most are still masked up!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

https://youtu.be/f6Q5Jtp1Bzc Thai people have 13 different types of smiles, that’s why Thailand is called the land of smiles. *flash a smile- ping sound* But not all smiles are created equal though, out of the 13 smiles? only 3 are happy ones.  *crying sounds* This is why it might be a bit hard for non-Thais to understand why some Thai people love to smile while telling a sad story or when they’re trying to apologize for their wrongdoings. In this episode, I have invited my Thai colleagues to help me act out these different types of smiles, and have our non-Thai […]

The story Thai people – 13 types of smiles of Thai people as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What's the smile for "I just charged this farang double and they have no idea"?

• Haha 3

....can't see anyway due this mask obsession here.

Workers on construction sites welding in night without any kind of safety measures but still with mask on.

The Mask is their new mojo.....

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Exactly. In all countries people smile when happy. Some smile when embarrassed. Some smile sarcastically. Some also smile when angry or disappointed. It’s not a smile as such. I simply do not believe Thai people have any more smile expressions than many other countries. And if they do, it’s certainly not 13. They may very well be more happier people and smile because of being happy. But that’s a different thing entirely.

You should take a trip to Boston 

See if anyone smiles when they are angry.   😀

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree with you and this article is pure fabricated nonesense.

My real take on it is that over the hundreds of years of how the Thai people and Thai society interactw ith each other, say like out in public at open markets and daily life which is used to be barter and trades and gossip, the Thai eventualy adopted a mouth that when meeting people their look simply raises their lips/mouths/cheeks/eyebrows in a warm looking manner, but it is a conditioned subliminal action of contorting their faces to that of a smile.

Oringinally to put on an appearance as a hppy person will get the best deals and respnse back, but my take on it is for the most all aprt totally fake at first and trhe person could have diareah, stomach cramps with a migrane and totally not be happy and reall with it.

Over the years I look for how the Thai face smile looks is from the exact get-go for whether a real happy one or in reality is in disguise not real or even a smirk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You should take a trip to Boston 

See if anyone smiles when they are angry.   😀

And they don’t here either. I’ve seen many Thais angry in many situations. Never seen one smile ever in such situations. It’s just another myth. They smile when embarrassed (westerners do). If that embarrassment turns to anger through loss of face, the embarrassed smile stops and all hell breaks loose.

It’s just another “Amazing Thailand” myth. You know the ones. The same as type of myth as we foreigners don’t like spicy food. 

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s just another “Amazing Thailand” myth. You know the ones. The same as type of myth as we foreigners don’t like spicy food. 

I've been with my wife for almost 20 years

I've eaten spicy well before her

She knows I like spicy

She still tells me every single time..........."this is spicy" 5555

• Haha 1