News Forum - Thailand’s face mask rules to be scrapped soon

Thaiger

In two or three weeks, those in Thailand will no longer have to worry about wearing a face mask in most places. According to The Bangkok Post, the Ministry of Public Health will soon cancel such mask-wearing regulations and accompanying fines for breaking such rules. The National Communicable Disease Committee has reportedly already completed a draft announcement that reflects the falling coronavirus risks in the country. The public health minister must endorse the announcement. Once endorsed, it will be published in the Royal Gazette. Face mask-wearing has been mandatory for the past two years as part of the measures to […]

The story Thailand’s face mask rules to be scrapped soon as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Confused 1

Someone needs to explain this story. I thought they had already been scrapped but with a recommendation  to wear them in “crowded places” ??????

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Someone needs to explain this story. I thought they had already been scrapped but with a recommendation  to wear them in “crowded places” ??????

That was my understanding, 'crowded places'.

The mask wearing can be likened to a poorly written Monty Python sketch.

In CM, you go in one store, staff wear masks, enter your next store, no masks. The best one is the Dining Room of the Hotel I'm staying. One particular couple (Asian, but not sure which Country) entered for their breakfast wearing masks, as do a good number of other Asians, but this couple only removed their masks as far as their chin to put food in their mouths and then replaced their masks whilst chewing.

One particular Restaurant we frequent stopped wearing masks when it was announced that it was no longer a requirement (apart from crowded places).

Can we have some clarity please- to wear or not to wear?

• Like 2

haven't worn mask for over three weeks now-up here in udon incl. barber, dentist office. Have not noticed any disapproving looks or remarks from the locals, most of whom still wear them.😷 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes, I am little confused too...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Havana said:

Can we have some clarity please- to wear or not to wear?

Not to wear. I got back early September, I did not even have a mask with me and all through the airport and immigration, noone said a word to me about it. My taxi driver was waiting for me at the meeting gate with the mask on and as soon as we got in the car, he took it off, threw it down the floor and said "I hate that stupid mask. Thai people are stupid". (luckily not all of them, about 80% of them do not wear it anymore at all where I am). It was hilarious.

• Like 3

This is from the UK Gov website.

"COVID-related restrictions in Thailand

From 1 October 2022, Thailand reclassifies COVID-19 from a dangerous communicable disease to a communicable disease under surveillance.

Mask wearing is a voluntary practice. However, the Ministry of Public Health continues to recommend that you wear a mask in a crowded or badly ventilated area such as public transportation, hospitals, elderly carehomes, and kindergarten. Inside public buildings, you will need to wear a mask unless you are by yourself or are doing activities in which a mask cannot be worn. More information can be found on the PR Thai Government page."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/coronavirus#:~:text=COVID-related restrictions in Thailand,wearing is a voluntary practice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

This is from the UK Gov website.

"COVID-related restrictions in Thailand

From 1 October 2022, Thailand reclassifies COVID-19 from a dangerous communicable disease to a communicable disease under surveillance.

Mask wearing is a voluntary practice. However, the Ministry of Public Health continues to recommend that you wear a mask in a crowded or badly ventilated area such as public transportation, hospitals, elderly carehomes, and kindergarten. Inside public buildings, you will need to wear a mask unless you are by yourself or are doing activities in which a mask cannot be worn. More information can be found on the PR Thai Government page."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/coronavirus#:~:text=COVID-related restrictions in Thailand,wearing is a voluntary practice.

Yes we all now that, but the title of this article is "Thailand’s face mask rules to be scrapped soon". A recommendation is not a "rule" so what is there to "scrap"? Maybe the person who wrote this article has just woken up after a few weeks sleep...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stopped caring about masks in Thailand months ago. I never wear one. I was on the MRT and BTS a couple of weeks ago, no problem, ditto soyouwannaboomboom. 

The only time I wore one recently was on entry to Superrich Ratchadamri, where it was no mask no entry. 

I've not been getting any bad vibes from thai people, and tbh, even if I was, I still don't care. 

The whole mask thing is stupid. 

The rest of the world has moved on, Thailand should too. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

And China of course. I pray China continues with its zero Covid policy. It’s so obviously wrong that it’s laughable. The Chinese refuse to import proper vaccines and so they are screwed. Xi doesn’t give a damn and like Putin, is slowly returning China back to the 1980’s. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

And China of course. I pray China continues with its zero Covid policy. It’s so obviously wrong that it’s laughable. The Chinese refuse to import proper vaccines and so they are screwed. Xi doesn’t give a damn and like Putin, is slowly returning China back to the 1980’s. 

When I flew back to Thailand last month from London, it was via Amsterdam. When I arrived at the gate in Amsterdam, my reaction was literally WTF. I then realised that flight was going to Honk Kong, only stopping in BKK. About 70% of people were obviously flying to HK: masks, double most of them, face shields, gloves, and about 2 dozens were wearing the full gear,protective suits, including shoes, gloves on etc... A vision of Horror. Amongst the 30% going to BKK, I think i saw one Thai without a mask and one white face wearing one, all the other white faces we were looking at each other with complete incredulity. I do not get how only a few people can take total control of the masses brains of a population of 1.4 billion people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Manu said:

When I flew back to Thailand last month from London, it was via Amsterdam. When I arrived at the gate in Amsterdam, my reaction was literally WTF. I then realised that flight was going to Honk Kong, only stopping in BKK. About 70% of people were obviously flying to HK: masks, double most of them, face shields, gloves, and about 2 dozens were wearing the full gear,protective suits, including shoes, gloves on etc... A vision of Horror. Amongst the 30% going to BKK, I think i saw one Thai without a mask and one white face wearing one, all the other white faces we were looking at each other with complete incredulity. I do not get how only a few people can take total control of the masses brains of a population of 1.4 billion people.

I receive regular updates from Gov.UK regarding entry requirement to Hong Kong. It seems they continue to create more hoops to jump through than just about anywhere else (other than China).

5 hours ago, Manu said:

But I could say I do not get how this mask issue has totally consumed others where they are spending time looking around incredulously of others wearing masks 

Not having a go at you

But I am blown at how much though people put in to what others are doing

Even now, when it doesn't effect them at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But I could say I do not get how this mask issue has totally consumed others where they are spending time looking around incredulously of others wearing masks 

Not having a go at you

But I am blown at how much though people put in to what others are doing

Even now, when it doesn't effect them at all

Cause it is not normal. Not new normal, just not normal. I do not get what people do not get that it is consuming normal people, and Just get along with it. Fine with me, but if you do not get why this abnormality is consuming me and others, why you keep asking? You accept this and you do not understand why others although you have been explained all normal ways possible why, so stop asking and move on mate. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Manu said:

On 10/22/2022 at 7:54 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Stopped caring about masks in Thailand months ago. I never wear one. I was on the MRT and BTS a couple of weeks ago, no problem, ditto soyouwannaboomboom. 

The only time I wore one recently was on entry to Superrich Ratchadamri, where it was no mask no entry. 

I've not been getting any bad vibes from thai people, and tbh, even if I was, I still don't care. 

The whole mask thing is stupid. 

Omg another whining baby who can’t handle wearing a mask. Covid isn’t going anywhere any time soon. The rest of the world has not moved on at all. If anything the variants will continue to mutate because of ignorant and uneducated  people who won’t vaccinate and get boosters. Of course you don’t care, cause it’s all about you ! Thank god the rest of the world didn’t think like you or there would be way more people seriously sick and dead. Covid has revealed how pathetically selfish so many people are. Masking is also to help prevent older people and immunocompromised people from getting sick.  

20 minutes ago, Jstar said:

Omg another whining baby who can’t handle wearing a mask. Covid isn’t going anywhere any time soon. The rest of the world has not moved on at all. If anything the variants will continue to mutate because of ignorant and uneducated  people who won’t vaccinate and get boosters. Of course you don’t care, cause it’s all about you ! Thank god the rest of the world didn’t think like you or there would be way more people seriously sick and dead. Covid has revealed how pathetically selfish so many people are. Masking is also to help prevent older people and immunocompromised people from getting sick.  

Agree with your assessment of how people reacted to Covid and I felt the same during the first year or 18 months. But in places like Thailand, those that want to be vaccinated are vaccinated and boosted.

So what now then?  We can’t continue to forever wear face masks, that’s simply crazy. We have the best vaccines science has to offer. The virus is naturally getting less lethal (That's what viruses tend to do). So it is time to move on. Get your annual booster as you do with flu to protect against latest variants and live life normally.

If you get Covid then self isolate as you would with Flu. As with flu, the elderly and people with underlying health conditions will be casualties of Covid for potentially decades to come. Covid is with us forever. We need to learn to live with it and that can not include face masks by the majority of the population. 

• Like 4

On 10/21/2022 at 10:25 PM, Thaiger said:

In two or three weeks, those in Thailand will no longer have to worry about wearing a face mask in most places. According to The Bangkok Post, the Ministry of Public Health will soon cancel such mask-wearing regulations and accompanying fines for breaking such rules. The National Communicable Disease Committee has reportedly already completed a draft announcement that reflects the falling coronavirus risks in the country. The public health minister must endorse the announcement. Once endorsed, it will be published in the Royal Gazette. Face mask-wearing has been mandatory for the past two years as part of the measures to […]

The story Thailand’s face mask rules to be scrapped soon as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Fully expect that they keep masks in place for public transportation. I imagine it would be difficult for a public health official to make a decison which would minimize their own role. Basically, once there is no need for future announcements, they give up status. 

I've been here since October wearing a mask is only a voluntary recommendation by the gov. But I'm really surprised how thoroughly the Thai follow this recommendation. (By the way, if everyone is following the recommendations so well, the gov should recommend separating waste.) Even in public transportation you don't need on face mask, no signs at all. I go out without mask all the time, no one look bad at me.
I'm really sick of this mask-maniacs. Like someone said before, you can't go on like this for ever.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Manu said:

Cause it is not normal. Not new normal, just not normal. I do not get what people do not get that it is consuming normal people, and Just get along with it. Fine with me, but if you do not get why this abnormality is consuming me and others, why you keep asking? You accept this and you do not understand why others although you have been explained all normal ways possible why, so stop asking and move on mate. 

You are sort of proving my point 

The amount of effort and time you guys worry about masks, even when you are not required to wear one, is mind blowing to me

You are getting worked up over what others choose to do that now has zero effect on you 

THAT is not normal, if you ask me.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agree with your assessment of how people reacted to Covid and I felt the same during the first year or 18 months. But in places like Thailand, those that want to be vaccinated are vaccinated and boosted.

So what now then?  We can’t continue to forever wear face masks, that’s simply crazy. We have the best vaccines science has to offer. The virus is naturally getting less lethal (That's what viruses tend to do). So it is time to move on. Get your annual booster as you do with flu to protect against latest variants and live life normally.

If you get Covid then self isolate as you would with Flu. As with flu, the elderly and people with underlying health conditions will be casualties of Covid for potentially decades to come. Covid is with us forever. We need to learn to live with it and that can not include face masks by the majority of the population. 

Japan and other parts of Asia has worn face masks for what, a couple decades now?

They seem to have gotten along just fine without a bunch of white guys getting their panties in a knot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Japan and other parts of Asia has worn face masks for what, a couple decades now?

They seem to have gotten along just fine without a bunch of white guys getting their panties in a knot

Yeah, but not 99 % of the people when they're not sick!! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Yeah, but not 99 % of the people when they're not sick!! 

I will never get why all you old white dudes care so much about what others choose to do

That is way more mind blowing to me, than someone deciding to wear a mask

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I will never get why all you old white dudes care so much about what others choose to do

That is way more mind blowing to me, than someone deciding to wear a mask

Firstly, I'm not old, secondly I'm not white.... 

So stop making an ass of u and me. 

Thirdly, no one is obsessed. We're all just commenting on an open forum. 

And the mask thing is odd. We comment, you comment about us commenting. What's the difference? 

My wife recently spent a few months with me where masks went out ages ago. It's just not a thing. 

On returning to Thailand, even she was having a WTF moment having stepped out of the coconut shell for a few months. 

So it's not just 'old, whitey, long nose' 

I'm absolutely certain that many in Thailand couldn't care less about the masks, but no one wants to attract the attention of being the odd one out, societal pressure or whatever you want to call it. 

• Like 2