Returning products to a store in Thailand - Easier to nail jello to a wall.

longwood50

I am from the USA and let me say, I believe stores in the USA are far too lenient with their return policy.  Customers take advantage of the generous returns and wear a pair of shoes and then return them, same with wearing clothing for a single evening and then the store takes them back. 

However here is Thailand I am wondering how some of the other expatriates feel about trying to legitimately return merchandise to a store with a receipt. If you go to Thai Watsadu you kill about 4 trees with the paperwork and they typically mandate you purchase something else with the store credit.  The other day my GF purchased two tops at Big C.  Both the same brand, both the same size, even the same rack.  One fit, the other was too small.  She wanted to exchange the item for the next larger size.  About 30 minutes and 3 managers later we were finally able to exchange the item.   The item being exchanged had not been worn, we had the receipt, and it still had the original tags on it.  

I can say that my experiences has even pushed me further towards purchasing online here in Thailand.  It is far easier to return items on Lazada or Shopee with an explanation rather than at a physical store.  

On 10/22/2022 at 3:06 PM, longwood50 said:

I am from the USA and let me say, I believe stores in the USA are far too lenient with their return policy.  Customers take advantage of the generous returns and wear a pair of shoes and then return them, same with wearing clothing for a single evening and then the store takes them back. 

However here is Thailand I am wondering how some of the other expatriates feel about trying to legitimately return merchandise to a store with a receipt. If you go to Thai Watsadu you kill about 4 trees with the paperwork and they typically mandate you purchase something else with the store credit.  The other day my GF purchased two tops at Big C.  Both the same brand, both the same size, even the same rack.  One fit, the other was too small.  She wanted to exchange the item for the next larger size.  About 30 minutes and 3 managers later we were finally able to exchange the item.   The item being exchanged had not been worn, we had the receipt, and it still had the original tags on it.  

I can say that my experiences has even pushed me further towards purchasing online here in Thailand.  It is far easier to return items on Lazada or Shopee with an explanation rather than at a physical store.  

Certain stores follow western policy (to a large degree), whilst others make returns or warranty claims a nightmare.  For homeware, Homepro and Boonthavorn are excellent.  Global and Baan&Beyond/Thai Watsadu are very difficult.

In some instances where you can contact the supplier, they will advise the store to honour an exchange or credit. 

Lazada has an excellent system.

• 2 months later...

I am from US also.  It is common knowledge that western and Eastern sizes are different.  Also common knowledge that you may wear multiple different sizes of clothes or shoes.  I see many people use fitting rooms or try on shoes before buying, common. 

Regarding the return policy.  I am learning also.  Inspect, try, think about if you will, really use something before buying it.  Descriptions can be vague and in Thailand you may have to ask many general and specific questions to get your answer.

Lastly ask about the return policy for any item that may be a questionable solution or fit.

Thanks for bringing this topic up so we may help others understand.