News Forum - Official says Patong road will need seven days of temporary repair work once rain stops

Thaiger

UPDATE A Phuket official said yesterday that it would take seven days of temporary repair work before the road to Patong Hill is ready to use again. The official said the repair work can start once the rain stops. This news comes after the road suffered two landslides on Wednesday and Thursday. Phuket Highway Director Yutthana Pitak told The Phuket Express… “The road is being blocked which is extending from the Si Kor Intersection in Kathu to the Suwan Khiri Wong temple in Patong. The road repair work can be started after the rain stops. The temporary road repair will […]

The story Official says Patong road will need seven days of temporary repair work once rain stops as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

A Phuket official said yesterday that it would take seven days of temporary repair work before the road to Patong Hill is ready to use again.

I really doubt that! The need to "rebuild" the slope. Looking by the speed they doing that on Patak Road to Kata, and there is it not half as damaged as in Kathu, 7 weeks would surprise me! Or it is clearly showing that no one intended to do that quickly, there.

Just now, Guest1 said:

I really doubt that! The need to "rebuild" the slope. Looking by the speed they doing that on Patak Road to Kata, and there is it not half as damaged as in Kathu, 7 weeks would surprise me! Or it is clearly showing that no one intended to do that quickly, there.

TIT

They forgot to say 1 year and 7 weeks Solly🤣

• Haha 1

This road has a history of collapse and slide away. It is built into a soil that is soft and clay like and requires a proper excavation and use of soil strengtheners and land reinforcement. So, yes, a rebuild is needed.  The land is loose because of deforestation. Yes, it looks green and covered with  trees, but the root structure is surface based and a heavy rain usually results in land slip. When I lived in Patong, we had 2 in 5 years . Also, it needs load restriction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

This road has a history of collapse and slide away. It is built into a soil that is soft and clay like and requires a proper excavation and use of soil strengtheners and land reinforcement. So, yes, a rebuild is needed.  The land is loose because of deforestation. Yes, it looks green and covered with  trees, but the root structure is surface based and a heavy rain usually results in land slip. When I lived in Patong, we had 2 in 5 years . Also, it needs load restriction. 

Agree.
But they are looking for a tunnel 555555

The terrain around quite a lot of Phuket seems to mainly heavy clays, which is always going to be prone to landslides without careful land management - not always a priority somewhere where a well padded brown envelope can get you permission to build just about anything just about anywhere.

Over the years I have seen the makeshift additions to his road as Traffic increased, given the saturated state of the hillside it will be months before any real stabilisation can occur this time if at all. Perhaps its time to build that tunnel that keeps being proposed.