News Forum - Bangkok shopping mall will free Bua Noi the captive gorilla for 30 million baht

Thaiger

As famous gorilla Bua Noi nears the end of her expected lifespan inside a decrepit Bangkok shopping mall, Thai government officials are making renewed attempts for her to be released. However, the gorilla’s owner said he will only give her up for 30 million baht. Bua Noi (“Little Lotus”) was brought to Thailand from Germany as a one year old in 1988. She spent almost her entire life in an enclosure on the 7th floor of Pata Pinklao Department Store in Bang Phlat district. She is the only gorilla left in the kingdom. The elderly gorilla’s mate died over a […]

The story Bangkok shopping mall will free Bua Noi the captive gorilla for 30 million baht as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 2

If you have ever seen this poor creature you would be saddened. She has been isolated by her self for over 10 years. I remember my son at age 8 seeing both gorillas and commenting how sad they were. Imagine any animal being deprived of touch or interaction.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Loong said:

Seems to me that the owner could be prosecuted under the animal cruelty laws.

You would like to think so wouldn’t you.

What a dreadful existence so many animals have. I would urge ALL tourists and expats never to engage in anything involving an animal in Thailand. The petting lizards in Patong or the elephant rides in Phuket. Make it a thing of the past and let the current animals be the last to suffer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

As famous gorilla Bua Noi nears the end of her expected lifespan inside a decrepit Bangkok shopping mall, Thai government officials are making renewed attempts for her to be released. However, the gorilla’s owner said he will only give her up for 30 million baht. Bua Noi (“Little Lotus”) was brought to Thailand from Germany as a one year old in 1988. She spent almost her entire life in an enclosure on the 7th floor of Pata Pinklao Department Store in Bang Phlat district. She is the only gorilla left in the kingdom. The elderly gorilla’s mate died over a […]

The story Bangkok shopping mall will free Bua Noi the captive gorilla for 30 million baht as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I am sure the government could “persuade” the owner to give up the gorilla. Are the fire codes, safety procedures, safety equipment, parking lots, building codes, taxes, leases, worker conditions, health & safety standards etc all in order? Need to check all that stuff out and ensure it is to current standards or be shut down while problems are rectified and eventually inspected again before re-opening. This could take months and months and months. The owner might suddenly realise that his return on investment in buying gorilla has been amply repaid and simply release the poor animal. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You would like to think so wouldn’t you.

What a dreadful existence so many animals have. I would urge ALL tourists and expats never to engage in anything involving an animal in Thailand. The petting lizards in Patong or the elephant rides in Phuket. Make it a thing of the past and let the current animals be the last to suffer. 

100% agree

I do want to go to a couple legit elephant sanctuaries 

And I was guilty of going to the Phuket zoo in the past but will not anymore

I did have one of the coolest experiences at the Phuket Zoo

It was after the tsunami so no one was there and there were 3-4 tiger cubs just in a small pen

I went in and played with them for about 15mins, it was amazing

But looking back, it is still sad I was able to do that

And wouldn't do it again

• Like 2

So what this really means that Varawut is holding the gorilla to ransom and are extortionists.

There is a similar case in China whereas a polar bear was held in similar circumstances at a shopping mall.

Evil.

• Like 6

The actions of the "owner" are reprehensible and in fact utterly disgusting. I think that given the updated laws, the government could either have the gorilla seized by the animal welfare people or obtain a court order to allow her removal and relocation on the grounds of extreme animal cruelty.

At the very least she deserves to be released for free to spend the rest of her life among other gorillas, even if that means being in captivity in Germany, as it seems that the facility there provides a much more natural environment than a concrete prison in a decrepit shopping mall.

Absolutely disgusting... someone somewhere is just not trying hard enough.

• Like 3

Surely given the updated laws and the quality of life that Bua Noi has had for so long, the government could find some way to seize her and get her out of there? 

• Like 1

This should never happen in the future. Captivity is a crime to them. Cage this owner and face the misery for life, give him only the books of animal rights.

• Like 1

What I want to know, is who the hell ships at this place knowing this tw*t is holding this poor animal hostage. Every abandons the store they will soon change their mind. Come on Thai Social media, get the word out there and ruin this selfish SOB 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Loong said:

More satisfying solutions than that.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

so kidnapping and ransom?

On 10/21/2022 at 12:34 PM, Loong said:

Which animal cruelty laws???

21 hours ago, cowslip said:

Which animal cruelty laws???

The laws that don't allow cruelty to animals.

They seem to enforce these more than any laws concerning cruelty to humans. ( Maybe not really true - please don't think that I am being serious))

18 minutes ago, Loong said:

The laws that don't allow cruelty to animals.

They seem to enforce these more than any laws concerning cruelty to humans. ( Maybe not really true - please don't think that I am being serious))

"The laws that don't allow cruelty to animals.' seriously?

You need a reality check - there are virtually no laws re-welfare/ conservation etc - even the ivory trade is still legal inside Thailand. What laws there are are hardly ever enforced and the penalties are pathetic.

23 hours ago, cowslip said:

"The laws that don't allow cruelty to animals.' seriously?

You need a reality check - there are virtually no laws re-welfare/ conservation etc - even the ivory trade is still legal inside Thailand. What laws there are are hardly ever enforced and the penalties are pathetic.

I don't need a reality check.

Laws concerning cruelty to animals do exist.

Laws may hardly ever be enforced but they are there and they can be used.

As I said

and somebody in authority could possibly use these laws to force the guy's hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loong said:

I don't need a reality check.

Laws concerning cruelty to animals do exist.

Laws may hardly ever be enforced but they are there and they can be used.

As I said

and somebody in authority could possibly use these laws to force the guy's hand.

Which "laws"? – You keep saying “there are laws” – but you don’t say what they are – let me give you a reality check…….

There is ONE law - Thailand introduced its first (and only) animal welfare law in 2014. The Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act, B.E. 2557 (2014) came into force on 27 December 2014.

The problem here is that businesses dealing in animals were largely set up before this and welfare practices – or abuses have been deeply engrained for decades.

The animals protected are those “raised as pets, as animals for work, as beasts of burden, as friends, as livestock, as performing show animals, or for any other purpose, no matter with or without owners”. 

Then you have to decide what the criteria are and prove someone is in breach of this…..

Owners are required to “raise, nurture and keep the animals in appropriate conditions with good health and sanitation and with sufficient food and water”. – but there are no definitions of this

Within the act, the term “owner” is deemed to cover all family members, employees etc.,

“Neglect” also includes improper housing and transportation of animals, which can lead to injury and death. – but this has to be decided by. – a court or police which of course takes time and money – either way.

Offenses are punishable by law, which may impose up to a 2 year-term in prison, and/or a fine of up to 40,000 baht.

There are also measures to chip animals such as elephants, tigers and even dogs – but take up is patchy. 

When you take this gorilla as an example it is quite easy to argue that no laws are being broken

Edited by cowslip

• 4 months later...

Will be better if the laws about holding endangered / wild animals are made > retroactive.  Noone should be able to get grandfather clause protection, or bribe protection if they cage wild or endangered animal like this. Put the "owner" in a cage then. Lets See how they like it.