News Forum - PM 2.5 pollution is on the rise in Thailand, warns health official

Thaiger

Particulate Matter (PM) 2.5 pollution is on the rise in Thailand, especially in Bangkok, warns Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Public Health Dr Opas Karnkawinpong. PM 2.5 particulates are tiny dust particles so small that thousands of them can fit into one full stop. Inhaling PM 2.5 is detrimental to human health as the minuscule particles travel deep into the respiratory tract, causing eye, nose, throat, and lung irritation as well as coughing, sneezing, and shortness of breath. Long-term exposure to PM 2.5 can affect lung function and worsen asthma and heart disease. Studies have linked PM 2.5 exposure […]

The story PM 2.5 pollution is on the rise in Thailand, warns health official as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The entire region is under heavy rain and nearly under a meter of water. How did this dust particles suddenly appear in the atmosphere? Where is the burning occurring?

• Like 1

Todays news is just full of shock and surprise. First of all a shocking item about corruption in the Thai Army and now PM2.5 pollution is in the rise as winter approaches. Whatever next. Maybe I’ll awake to hear another 60+ people have lost their life on Thailand’s roads yesterday or another Monk has been caught stealing money from the local temple…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

PM 2.5 particulates are tiny dust particles so small that thousands of them can fit into one full stop. 

I don't know what "a full stop" means (in this context) and the statement that thousands of PM 2.5 particulates (like 5 thousand?) fit into "one full stop" made me wonder even more about what it could mean (I'm not a native speaker, so if some colloquialism or slang that I'm unware of was used: ignore my futile attempt at deducing the meaning). 

One particle (of diameter 2.5μm) has an approximate volume of 8.2 μm^3. 5 thousand of them could occupy a sphere of diameter 43μm, i.e. still very tiny and not relatable to something common that "fits into one full stop". I hope it doesn't mean "one inhalation" because that would amount to an impressive understatement.

In short: what is meant by a full stop?

8 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

I don't know what "a full stop" means (in this context) and the statement that thousands of PM 2.5 particulates (like 5 thousand?) fit into "one full stop" made me wonder even more about what it could mean (I'm not a native speaker, so if some colloquialism or slang that I'm unware of was used: ignore my futile attempt at deducing the meaning). 

One particle (of diameter 2.5μm) has an approximate volume of 8.2 μm^3. 5 thousand of them could occupy a sphere of diameter 43μm, i.e. still very tiny and not relatable to something common that "fits into one full stop". I hope it doesn't mean "one inhalation" because that would amount to an impressive understatement.

This: .

11 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

Assuming you actually mean to ask......a full stop s the dot left at the end of a sentance .  

This same news article gets reprinted every year around this time. It's not new. Population is bad (particularly in bkk), and once the rain stops, we will have a number of days with dangerously high particulate levels. The question is now many more days (compared to last year) and is it getting worse. My guess is since nothing has changed that the problem will indeed persist and worsen. 

Maybe a small start would be to take the cars off the road that are billowing thick black smoke, the road and traffic disappeared on the freeway before my very eyes the other day, dangerous in more ways than one!