News Forum - Thailand News Today | TAT Governor: Save on Electric Bills, Fly to Thailand Instead

Thaiger

Click the link to watch a video: https://youtu.be/VE3e-7ahk8s Instead of wasting money on high energy bills this winter, Westerners should turn off the heating and spend their money in Thailand instead, advises the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Tourism operators demand cheaper flights to Phuket, and Thailand’s ‘master complainer’ gets punched over a complaint against comedian, all that, and more coming right up in today’s program. Instead of wasting money on high energy bills this winter, Westerners should turn off the heating and spend their money in Thailand instead, advises the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) With wholesale gas and […]

The story Thailand News Today | TAT Governor: Save on Electric Bills, Fly to Thailand Instead as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

One or two problems with the TAT suggestion to Europeans to save energy bills by coming to Thailand... most people have property taxes and standing charges on energy to pay while they are absent, and, if they keep no heating at all in their houses for any length of time, pipes will freeze (/burst), and damp will set in.

Most of them in employment aren't able to work while in another country, and certainly not for the entire winter period.

So, the TAT might see  few more retirees escaping the European winter, but I wouldn't expect many of them to have huge amounts of money to throw around.

I put this reply on another thread, it’s as relevant here:

I’m not sure the savings in heating will put much of a dent into our 3 week trip to Thailand but I appreciate it’s a soundbite to attract publicity. To that end it’s succeeded.

The problem at the moment, certainly for British visitors is limited air choices. British Airways still hasn’t confirmed when they will resume direct Heathrow Bangkok flights and this in turn drives up the price of Eva and Thai Air flights. Virgin have also pulled their Hong Kong service - there was a nice little Thai Air flight linking Hong Kong to BKK if we did Upper class LHR HKG with Virgin.

To add to the misery Heathrow themselves have been limiting flight operations and ticket sales to try and counter staff shortages at the airport.

The usually cheap option of flying via the Middle East is currently not available, possibly on account of the football World cup or just because Middle East airlines have decided they are better than everyone else. 

Business class direct LHR BKK flights have cost us around £2,700 per person with Thai and that was a great deal, typically they were over £3,500 per person. Going via the Middle East took prices to over £5,000 per person, so a non event when compared to cheaper direct flights. Going via a European stop off saw prices of around £2,500 plus.

Thailand has no control really of international flights other than to try and ensure the Thai Air flights remain competitive. Business class prices are important because the up-spend on flights tends to carry on into accommodation, meals and other in country purchases. 

People will be returning to Thailand this season now that restrictions have eased but air fares will be a limiting factor.

The idea of saving on European fuel bills is a good one, but I'll spend my money thanks in the economy of a country brave enough to condemn Putin's illegal invasion of another country.  You get your tourists from Russia Thailand, and let's hope many more Europeans decide, like me, to go elsewhere.

• Like 2