News Forum - Thai tourism industry wants 5 billion baht handout to draw tourists

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I get and understand the broader view of how TAT/Agencies view of us

And believe me, I am not just a happy go lucky guy, far from it

I just don't worry about small things that many seem to do

I used to be an uptight traveler and would have some dust ups, guess I got older and now don't let many things bother me because I have far many more great interactions than bad ones in Thailand

Just a question out of curiousity, do you go to other countries that you feel treat tourists/expats better?

Me personally, I think a lot of the central American countries treat tourists well, Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico

Vietnam took me a couple visits to warm up to the place

But I have liked almost everywhere I have ever been

I guess I'd say Italy was one of my least favorite places but didn't hate it

Yeah I’ve travelled for holidays and worked in many countries around the world. From India, UAE, Norway, Indonesia, US, China, Netherlands, Malaysia, Brazil and many more. 

Generally speaking, I’ve found countries who are multinational tend to have a more rounded attitude towards foreigners and hence tourists. The same is true for countries which were former colonies. Thailand of course is neither of those and so there is a tendency to view foreigners as very different. Once you view people as different, it becomes far easier to treat them differently and feel there is nothing wrong with that. 

33 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Generally speaking, I’ve found countries who are multinational tend to have a more rounded attitude towards foreigners and hence tourists. The same is true for countries which were former colonies. Thailand of course is neither of those and so there is a tendency to view foreigners as very different. Once you view people as different, it becomes far easier to treat them differently and feel there is nothing wrong with that. 

This made me think of Chiang Mai

I have always liked Chiang Mai because I feel it's one of the only place out of all the Thai tourist towns that don't do that "fake kiss your ass" that Thailand is famous for

And they have less of a farang ghetto scene, many places where Thais and farang mix together

I like walking into a place and not be treated "special"

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I like walking into a place and not be treated "special"

Likewise. Many years ago and even in some places today, you are either looked  at as if you have two heads, or are greeted as if you have just shared the lottery win with them. I’m the same when I check in to a hotel. I don’t want the welcome drink and told of all the options. I just want my room key and I’ll take my own bag to the room thanks 😂😂