News Forum - Thailand finds 3 new subvariants, 4th in Hong Kong from Thai travellers

Thaiger

Three new Covid-19 subvariants have been found within Thailand’s borders according to Thai scientists. The global scientific community believes that the subvariants in the group found in the kingdom will become the dominant strains of Covid within the next few months. A separate strain, XBB, was found in three passengers from Thailand in Hong Kong, despite the variant not being identified in the kingdom yet. The BF.7, BN.1, and BA.2.75.2 subvariants were found through genomic surveillance in studies conducted by Ramathibodi Hospital’s Centre for Medical Genomics. They were found in samples that were gathered from people within Thailand, though not […]

The story Thailand finds 3 new subvariants, 4th in Hong Kong from Thai travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

You only have to look at the double digit rises in infection in the UK and EU to see that the virus is very active and in no way should anyone be complacent. So where are the bivalent vaccines to give boosters to at risk people? The Public Health minister seems more interested in worming his way into contention for PM than dealing with the increasing risk due to waning antibody levels across the whole population.

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Three new Covid-19 subvariants have been found within Thailand’s borders according to Thai scientists. The global scientific community believes that the subvariants in the group found in the kingdom will become the dominant strains of Covid within the next few months. A separate strain, XBB, was found in three passengers from Thailand in Hong Kong, despite the variant not being identified in the kingdom yet. The BF.7, BN.1, and BA.2.75.2 subvariants were found through genomic surveillance in studies conducted by Ramathibodi Hospital’s Centre for Medical Genomics. They were found in samples that were gathered from people within Thailand, though not […]

The story Thailand finds 3 new subvariants, 4th in Hong Kong from Thai travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Cases Quadruple" is an interesting term. In a news article it is meant to imply a surge in volume. Now certainly if I have 1 million dollars and it "quardruples", that is alot. But.....if I have 1 dollar and it "quadruples", that's not nearly as impressive. Context here not provided is that global testing is at the lowest it has been since testing was introduced. Most people who get sick, do not get tested unless they end up in a hospital. So.....statistics about variants and surges are virtually useless......especially if it does not result in severe illness requing hospitalization. Additionally, these stats do not provide any foundation where future action can be taken to prevent spread. So.....knock it off. We have bigger problems now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wait and see what happens after the weather season changes to colder and these varaints spread and take hold. Are they more dangersous or are they just more communicable contagious to spread like a wildfire. I for one am not up for taking another shot. 2 shots was enough and having got the first and second types of covid already and still being around to talk about it leaves me in an I don't know what to do next. Of course I worry for me and the family and my friends. Wait, look and see.

When are the Thai media going to stop with all this nonsense?  Covid is here to stay, just as influenza is. It will mutate in to new variants every few months. Let the scientists modify an annual vaccine for those most vulnerable as we do now for seasonal flu shots. Everyone else just needs to get in with life. Be respectful and self isolate if you come down with Covid. Other than that, it’s time to return to normal. 

• Like 2