News Forum - Street food Thailand – The best street food Thailand has to offer (2022)

Thaiger

Click the link to watch a video: https://youtu.be/8Jietx3wTzE Whether you’re in Bangkok, Phuket, or Chiang Mai, the street food in Thailand is sure to be a star attraction. The street food culture in Thailand is significant- the locals and foreigners love street food since it’s cheap and delicious. Thailand, especially Bangkok, is dotted with street foods on almost every soi (streets). Just walking down a road or a local market will have your stomach growling to be fed. And, upon trying some of the top street foods, you will soon be back asking for more.    As some foods indicate […]

The story Street food Thailand – The best street food Thailand has to offer (2022) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Some of the food I have seen on sale at markets etc must have been there, lukewarm, for all day, looking very sad and unappetising.

The stir fried food is done in the worst, cheapest oil available.

Most restaurant dishes look OK, but you do not know what goes on in the kitchen.

• Like 2

There is some great street food out there equally there is some rubbish street food out there. As a rule of thumb I usuall go where there are a lot of Thai workers and go to the busiest food carts. Might have to wait a bit longer but there is generally a reason that cart is busy and it is because the food is good.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

There is some great street food out there equally there is some rubbish street food out there. As a rule of thumb I usuall go where there are a lot of Thai workers and go to the busiest food carts. Might have to wait a bit longer but there is generally a reason that cart is busy and it is because the food is good.

That is the best advice and holds true for restaurants too.  Another good rule is to look at the colour of frying oil as it should be almost clear if fresh, or golden.  If fried food is dark brown, oil is likely the same and, old!

kind of makes me laugh this emphasis on street food that you can find in or outside any market in Thailand.. i remember meeting some tourists in 2017. I had to explain street food was everywhere. . they didnt get it

4 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Some of the food I have seen on sale at markets etc must have been there, lukewarm, for all day, looking very sad and unappetising.

The stir fried food is done in the worst, cheapest oil available.

Most restaurant dishes look OK, but you do not know what goes on in the kitchen.

yeah if you live here a while thats why you start cooking your own .. thai life expectancy is not as high as most countries.  palm oil is the main one .. i only use olive oil when im cooking expensive or not... their main vegetable is somtam(which is a side dish, but is ok, however it contains fish sauce etc) .. the markets are full of vegetables i never see in any food .. im not sure who buys them ...

Edited by jobapps

7 hours ago, jobapps said:

yeah if you live here a while thats why you start cooking your own .. thai life expectancy is not as high as most countries.  palm oil is the main one .. i only use olive oil when im cooking expensive or not... their main vegetable is somtam(which is a side dish, but is ok, however it contains fish sauce etc) .. the markets are full of vegetables i never see in any food .. im not sure who buys them ...

I've eaten vegetables in most Thai entrees I've ever eaten 

Broccoli, bell peppers, asparagus, morning glory, kale and many more 

PS....But I do agree that Thai food is not all that healthy or as healthy as some think it is 

• Like 1

Thailand has one of the best street food culture.  There are many who innovates and come out with new ideas of Thai Street Food. I still prefer the traditional thai street food. Delicious.

13 hours ago, jobapps said:

the markets are full of vegetables i never see in any food .. im not sure who buys them ...

Totally agree. I speak to Thai friends and when I say I need something to eat with vegetables, I invariably get what we would call salad. Various forms of lettuce leaf with a few spring onions. I struggle to find dishes with lots of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower or green beans. They are in Thai dishes, but in small quantities. I buy the fried mixed vegetables but other than that…. 

On 10/15/2022 at 9:45 PM, jobapps said:

Actually, palm oil is very healthy. The problem with palm oil is that some countries are erasing whole forests to grow palms.

Also, olive oil should only be used for low heat cooking because it burns easily and therefore can turn into a cancer factor.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:17 AM, Cqman said:

Actually, palm oil is very healthy. The problem with palm oil is that some countries are erasing whole forests to grow palms.

Also, olive oil should only be used for low heat cooking because it burns easily and therefore can turn into a cancer factor.

thats why they have three types of olive oil .. virgin for salads the mid range for casseroles etc and the light for frying.. (its on the label on bertolli or a range of other brands available in gourmet supermarkets. according the health.com olive oil is better, but palm oil has a similar nutritional profile to most other oils. It does mention that palm oil is added to store bought ready meals... and I noticed out of two types of morrisons  peanut butter the one with palm oil was ten baht more and the one I bought actually specified "No Palm oil" showcasing how bad for you they think it is.

Ive noticed morrisons the uk supermarket often has stuff popping up in big c and waitrose the higher class supermarket in the uk clearly has links with tops supermarket as their stuff turns up there often.

On balance oil isnt really good for you, but you can only going with the prevailing health experts opinion and no one has ever said olive oil is bad for you ..of course pressing your own organic oil would of course be better. Like in that Italian blue zone where they have all those one hundred year olds. They grow everything there. 

Personally I just had some deluxe sardines on toast in extra virgin olive oil with rosemary added. It was delicious. Im not sure palm oil would have been so exciting  ........just my opinion.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 3:17 AM, Cqman said:

Not it is not very healthy, perhaps not as bad as people sometimes think (less saturated fat than butter for example) but still way less healthy than olive or vegetable oils, and surely far less than sunflower oil or Hemp oil), as it contains a far much higher saturated fat. Personally the taste of it turns my stomach.... It is banned in my home. In fact, I had to teach my Thai partner to use less oil or even no oil at all, for example a stir fry with chilli paste, no need to put any oil at all if you have a good wok, or at least just a tiny drop. Same with omelets, no need for oil at all if you have a good pan. I do not get how can people in Thailand eat those omelets they serve almost everywhere soaking with oil, completely uneatable to me especially if it is palm oil. Otherwise plenty of good Thai street food out there once you know where to go. Around the corner of my place, there is a very popular place where you have to rush to get food before they run out early afternoon, this couple are from the south of Thailand and their food is delicious.