News Forum - ‘Give China some control of Taiwan,’ says Elon Musk

Thaiger

United States business magnate Elon Musk embroiled himself in the politically sensitive One China-Taiwan debate over the weekend. Unsurprisingly, the Tesla CEO’s controversial comments in the Financial Times caused a backlash and, even more surprisingly, drew praise. The world’s richest man endeared himself to China, but not Taiwan, suggesting the mainland should have some control over the island to resolve the cross-strait dispute. Musk said… “My recommendation… would be to figure out a special administrative zone for Taiwan that is reasonably palatable, probably won’t make everyone happy. And it’s possible, and I think probably, in fact, that they could have […]

The story ‘Give China some control of Taiwan,’ says Elon Musk as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

Another example of Musk diplomacy following his suggestion on ending the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Not sure which suggestion is worse. 

Credit to Musk. A bullied nerd loser in high school who trumped the jocks to become the richest man in the world. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Another example of Musk diplomacy following his suggestion on ending the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Not sure which suggestion is worse. 

Credit to Musk. A bullied nerd loser in high school who trumped the jocks to become the richest man in the world. 

Second richest. Putin laughs at his bank balance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Elon Musk would be better served trying to concentrate on his businesses making a profit and paying off its debts than running his mouth off about things he knows little about. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Second richest. Putin laughs at his bank balance. 

Third Richest. Someone much closer also laughs at his bank balance. Can’t say who though 🤫🤫

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Third Richest. Someone much closer also laughs at his bank balance. Can’t say who though 🤫🤫

Let me go look at my balance at the ATM. He might be behind me 🙄

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Exactly. I generally like his views, but these two are terrible, terrible ideas. I think he's finally losing it. One needs to only look at Hong Kong to see why China cannot be trusted to adhere to promises. And besides- Taiwanese don't want to be part of China, just like Ukranians don't want to be part of Russia. Neither country would be hurt economically or in any way other than national pride by just letting them have their own country. The tiny minority that actually wants to be part of Russia/China is welcome to leave and go there.

• Like 6

Musk can be such a dick.  He needs to stick to what he does best, inventing stuff, instead of spouting about things that he knows little about. I lived in Taiwan for a number of years.  The new generations have as much interest and connection with the mainland as do Eskimos. 

• Like 3

The problem with people like Musk is that he’s running out of amazing ideas to stay in the limelight. He’s an amazing guy and the world needs more people with vision, belief and drive to make things happen. However, when that person also enjoys the publicity and fame that comes with it, you have to do more and more extreme things to grab the headlines. Best thing to do with these people is ignore the extremes. I’m sure the Chinese and Taiwan leaders are smart enough to do just that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fanta said:

The guy wants to avoid war - oh, the shame…. 

Don't nominate him for the Nobel peace prize just yet... The people of Taiwan would like a word... 

• Like 2

I find it telling that Musk's geopolitical solutions to land disputes (in both Ukraine and Taiwan) is to kowtow to the tyrannical demands of Xi and Putin. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Fanta said:

Yes and to do it he’s willing to sacrifice the freedom of millions against their will. I agree, shame. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fanta said:

As history shows us all too clearly, for freedom to win, and for tyrannies to be defeated, sometimes war is necessary. We may well find out the truth of that in Ukraine and in Taiwan.