News Forum - CNN to be Prosecuted for Invasive Massacre Coverage in Thailand | GMT

Thaiger

CNN to be Prosecuted for Invasive Massacre Coverage in Thailand [UPDATE: Thai news outlet CatDumb has said on Facebook that police have now detained two journalists and a photographer from CNN immigration and are arranging to have their visas cancelled. According to some reports, they may not have had the proper documents or may have been using a tourist visa rather than a work visa. In any case, authorities notified the Immigration Department about the suspected illegal invasion of the crime scene and demanded that their passports be terminated.] Police in Thailand is getting ready to bring charges against CNN journalists for their intrusive coverage of the killing at the Nong Bua childcare centre.  Authorities assert that they went over police tape to enter and exit the scene of the atrocity, which claimed the lives of 38 people, 24 of whom were children, and recorded footage t here.  They claim that the procedure corrupted the evidence.  Questionable Police The 24-hour news network will be sued for tampering with the evidence in the massacre case, Lieutenant General Surachate, “Big Joke,” Hakparn stated.  A maximum jail sentence of five years may be imposed for interfering with law enforcement or government investigations. Thailand’s 5 national parks […]

The story CNN to be Prosecuted for Invasive Massacre Coverage in Thailand | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 minute ago, BillO said:

I’m sure CNN made a sizable donation to the Big Joke Retirement Fund for this one. 

Unlikely. There was nothing here to prosecute. Poor judgement on the part of the Australian reporter and British cameraman maybe. 5000 baht fine for the poor judgement, and it's done. 

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

Unlikely. There was nothing here to prosecute. Poor judgement on the part of the Australian reporter and British cameraman maybe. 5000 baht fine for the poor judgement, and it's done. 

Cabra, please look at the pic. We clearly see these 2 guys going over the fence and the police red tape so definitely "breaking into a crime scene". And this for only one reason, taking gruesome pictures. There was definitely something here to prosecute and I am sure Big Joke was in this case not joking at all. But as it happens all the time when foreign journalists are involved, diplomats and local authorities (way above Big Joke) get involved and deals are made. In this case, they drop the prosecution for "breaking into a crime scene" to be replaced by a fine for the lack of visas and most of all, a public apology. I have absolutely no doubt this is exactly what happened.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manu said:

Cabra, please look at the pic. We clearly see these 2 guys going over the fence and the police red tape so definitely "breaking into a crime scene". And this for only one reason, taking gruesome pictures. They was definitely something here to prosecute and I am sure Big Joke was in this case not joking at all. But as it happens all the time when foreign journalists are involved, diplomats and local authorities (way above Big Joke) get involved and deals are made. In this case, they drop the prosecution for "breaking into a crime scene" to be replaced by a fine for the lack of visas and most of all, a public apology. I have absolutely no doubt this is exactly what happened.

I can certainly understand a certain level of outrage at the poor behavior of this particular reporter/cameraman duo. But for me it pails in comparison to the outrage people should have for the first responders and others who circulated raw images of the immediate crime scene on social media. And while I've seen this many times before in THA (i.e., gruesome death photos posted on social media) it does not make it any less wrong or disturbing, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cabra said:

I can certainly understand a certain level of outrage at the poor behavior of this particular reporter/cameraman duo. But for me it pails in comparison to the outrage people should have for the first responders and others who circulated raw images of the immediate crime scene on social media.

Sure, all of them are wrong, and all of them should be prosecuted.

And while I've seen this many times before in THA (i.e., gruesome death photos posted on social media) it does not make it any less wrong or disturbing, in my opinion. 

You only see because you look... I never see this personally, nor the same disturbing stuff from CNN and the like cause they do not exist to me. And then again, all of them should be prosectuted.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Manu said:

You only see because you look... I never see this personally, nor the same disturbing stuff from CNN and the like cause they do not exist to me

Fair point. I honestly try not to because it's bad for my mental well being. But the saturation level (by so many media outlets), and some of those around me who seem intrigued by the grotesque, make it a constant battle to be sure. 

6 hours ago, Manu said:

Cabra, please look at the pic. We clearly see these 2 guys going over the fence and the police red tape so definitely "breaking into a crime scene". And this for only one reason, taking gruesome pictures. There was definitely something here to prosecute and I am sure Big Joke was in this case not joking at all. But as it happens all the time when foreign journalists are involved, diplomats and local authorities (way above Big Joke) get involved and deals are made. In this case, they drop the prosecution for "breaking into a crime scene" to be replaced by a fine for the lack of visas and most of all, a public apology. I have absolutely no doubt this is exactly what happened.

ok, you see the photo. We all do. So what? When was the photo taken? The investigation  which interviewed witnesses supported CNN's  statement that;  i) The reporters were allowed in by multiple Thai personnel,       ii) That the police had failed to establish an appropriate secure perimeter and, iii) the cordon had put in place, AFTER the journalists had entered, forcing them to exit in the manner photographed. there is nothing that supports your version of events, but there are multiple statements from people who were there that support  theCNN position.

NO, there were no bribes. One has to be absent of common sense to make that allegation. Of all times not to make, nor accept a bribe, it would be for an incident such as this. The ramifications of being exposed would be too harsh. The last thing one would do is offer a bribe or to ask for one. The investigation revealed that the RTP had FAILED to establish a proper perimeter. That's why the charges were dropped. It's embarrassing for the RTP.  CNN apologized and the problem went away. 

The fine assessed isn't out of the ordinary.Thailand  doesn't issue work visas in a manner conducive to effective reporting. Waiting 48 - 72-96 hours for a media visa to clear is too long. This is what motivated the journalists to play visa roulette. They are not the first journalists to do so and they won't be the last. Assessing the minimum fine allows the government to avoid  dealing with a bigger issue in respect to media access and the erection of obstacles to the entry of news reporters. The resolution of the issue was a win win for all parties. Thailand saves face, CNNi  gets out of a problem and everything gets reset.

Where are these gruesome images? I did not see any such images on CNNi.  CNN like BBC, SKY, ABC, TVF and DW has a strict code of conduct that governs the broadcast of such images. If and when there are horrific images shown, there is :) A warning in advance and ii) blurring or blocking of the potentially offensive images.

Please stop accusing CNN from engaging in an activity that it intentionally avoids and that they are in fact often criticized as "self censoring" for avoiding the  broadcast of such images. In Thailand the source of the images typically comes from onlookers, and Thai first responders.  The next time you pass a car crash, look at the scene: and you will see the Thais with their mobiles taking photos. 

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

ok, you see the photo. We all do. So what? When was the photo taken? The investigation  which interviewed witnesses supported CNN's  statement that;  i) The reporters were allowed in by multiple Thai personnel,       ii) That the police had failed to establish an appropriate secure perimeter and, iii) the cordon had put in place, AFTER the journalists had entered, forcing them to exit in the manner photographed. there is nothing that supports your version of events, but there are multiple statements from people who were there that support  theCNN position.

NO, there were no bribes. One has to be absent of common sense to make that allegation. Of all times not to make, nor accept a bribe, it would be for an incident such as this. The ramifications of being exposed would be too harsh. The last thing one would do is offer a bribe or to ask for one. The investigation revealed that the RTP had FAILED to establish a proper perimeter. That's why the charges were dropped. It's embarrassing for the RTP.  CNN apologized and the problem went away. 

The fine assessed isn't out of the ordinary.Thailand  doesn't issue work visas in a manner conducive to effective reporting. Waiting 48 - 72-96 hours for a media visa to clear is too long. This is what motivated the journalists to play visa roulette. They are not the first journalists to do so and they won't be the last. Assessing the minimum fine allows the government to avoid  dealing with a bigger issue in respect to media access and the erection of obstacles to the entry of news reporters. The resolution of the issue was a win win for all parties. Thailand saves face, CNNi  gets out of a problem and everything gets reset.

I described in an early comment how much I need to be informed to be informed for that kind of information. You keep answering as if cnn is giving you as their right to do so a good way to be informed about the exact same information. they had not been prosecuted, that gruesome video these guys took would still be live on their website (it was obviously first before being removed) and the American consumers of that kind of media filled up with it on tv. Nothing else. So that’s cnn and the like the way they “informed “ people.

1 minute ago, Manu said:

I described in an early comment how much I need to be informed to be informed for that kind of information. You keep answering as if cnn is giving you as their right to do so a good way to be informed about the exact same information. they had not been prosecuted, that gruesome video these guys took would still be live on their website (it was obviously first before being removed) and the American consumers of that kind of media filled up with it on tv. Nothing else. So that’s cnn and the like the way they “informed “ people.

I don't really watch much cable news, if at all

But CNN is not in the habit of releasing gory videos and pics of scenes like that and it's not something "American consumers" clamor for

They may post a photo of the whole scene, but nothing gory and as others have pointed out, nothing is even close comparison than the gory phots Thai media often posts

But I do agree with you, I don't feel the need to read or look at any of those photos and news stories, the initial dreadful report is enough for me...............

And agree with you again, none of the photos CNN would post would add anything to the horrible news, except for their own clicks

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

CNN like BBC, SKY, ABC, TVF and DW has a strict code of conduct that governs the broadcast of such images.

Strict code of conduct 55555

That did give me a laugh on a wet night in Pattaya 55555

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But CNN is not in the habit of releasing gory videos and pics of scenes like that and it's not something "American consumers" clamor for

They may post a photo of the whole scene, but nothing gory and as others have pointed out, nothing is even close comparison than the gory phots Thai media often posts

But I do agree with you, I don't feel the need to read or look at any of those photos and news stories, the initial dreadful report is enough for me...............

And agree with you again, none of the photos CNN would post would add anything to the horrible news, except for their own clicks

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

What just happened is showing exactly the opposite of what you’re claiming about cnn. They do exactly that and always that, but in such hypocritical ways that intelligent people like are not only buying their adds and papers and whatever they have to sell, their brains are sold for nothing. What just happened is very clear and never been showed so clearly if you have been following that story from Thailand. That is if you had any doubt before that it wax not just exactly like that. And always. Mainstream stuff for sale and minds to influence… I guess it fits Also the agenda of the oligarchs owners of those same news outlets…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Manu said:

CNN was NOT prosecuted. A police official said he would bring charges. However, the police investigation was unable to support a charge of trespass and tampering with evidence. On the contrary it showed that the CNN reporters were invitees as they had asked for permission to enter the premises first. 

You make reference  to a "gruesome video" that had been uploaded to the CNN website. Did you actually see this video? Please explain why the video was  "gruesome". What did you actually see?  I doubt very much that anyone on the forum complaining has seen the CNN story, let alone visits the CNN international news website, or watches CNNi.  The initial story was removed because it was associated with journalists  who worked without the appropriate visa and it showed the unsecured premises. Yes, some of the images showed medical debris, but there is no indication that dead children were shown.  I don't believe that CNN was even accused of posting gruesome images by the authorities. Rather, the allegation is made here in the forum by some who didn't even  see the original CNN story.

As a side observation, the complaint originated with a "Thai" journalist. CNN is one of the international news organizations which uses its own employees or contract employees who sign off on the  organizations's code of conduct. I suspect, this is more a case of a bitter Thai not getting an opportunity to "freelance" for an international news organization which instead was willing to assume the additional expense of flying in its own personnel rather than relying on local Thais. International news organizations put a premium on the integrity and reliability of their reporting.

• Haha 1