News Forum - Thailand’s 5 national parks raise entry fees for foreigners by 100%

Thaiger

31 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But you sort of signed a contract that it isn't your home 

99% of farang are on a glorified tourist visa

So why would you then demand to be treated as if it's your home?

99%  I call BS

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Giltee said:

To me as a tourist I never minded paying tourist fees to see places in Thailand but once you live here it should be different. I recently went to Pha Taem National Park. I was greeted by a lady in what looked like an army uniform and was told I had to pay 400 baht, my wife 30 baht and my car 30 baht. Even after showing my Thai ID and house-book I was told I had to be a Thai citizen. I turned and left because I’m not a tourist and shouldn’t be treated as one. It’s simply a rip off fee because tourists can usually afford it. If Thailand wants outsiders to live here then perhaps they should make them feel like they’re welcome instead of just a source of money. 

It happened to us too, but I did pay as we had a visitor with us, I actually don't mind paying a bit more but it's got ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Again, the usual topic. And again we have the same Thai apologists who see nothing wrong with the practice of double pricing. It is and remains however a strongly racist and discriminatory measure. I live with my Thai wife in an ex soviet republic where there is also a system of double pricing. It is however applied in a none biased and arbitrary way. Anyone holding a residence permit will pay exactly the same as the locals and will be treated exactly the same in all matters. And the difference in price is way less then the one in Thailand. Anyway, no matter what we write here, it will not change anything as those making these decisions are not living in the same world as the rest of us. It will not help the tourist trade though as people don't like to be discriminated, independent if they can afford it our not.

• Like 5

A popular tourist attraction in Thailand are the bar girls. Whether you like it or not. Is there dual pricing for those bar girls too? Do Thai pay less than tourists?

Bemoaning this does feel a bit like spitting into the wind. It's here and it's not going to change.  We pay because we can, and because we have no choice (other than to abstain - which is a choice). It's true that duel pricing is pricing discrimination, and tends to leave some foreigners with a negative impression. On the positive side, the pricing disparities in THA are generally not over the top (nothing like the 5000% markup to see the Petra in Jordan), however, the policy does run the risk of actually discouraging park visitors (at a time when THA needs them most). The timing (and size) of this particular increase might defy logic, but it's not at all surprising. 

• Like 1

Like many business’s  trying to recover the losses from last 2 years of lockdowns I fear it will be counter productive, as many foreign residents will now vote with their feet, tourists will still turn up but probably in smaller numbers. Shortsighted but to be expected, this is not a country contaminated by logic.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Janneman said:

A popular tourist attraction in Thailand are the bar girls. Whether you like it or not. Is there dual pricing for those bar girls too? Do Thai pay less than tourists?

Years ago a went to a soapy with a friend (Singaporean). The mamasan whispered to my friend that he gets an "Asian" discount. I thought it was weird that she thought he wouldn't tell me 😂

Every country has their own way of managing their resources and policies. If visitors are not happy then don't go to Thailand or avoid all the national parks. Just by cans of beer for that money and sit at the entrance and drink. After that take some pictures to post in FB or Instagram. No one is going to punish or offend of any visitor is not interested to follow what is established. Simple as that

• Haha 1

Another example of ripping off tourists, most other countries charge the same for nationals and tourists, my advice is dont visit these places, maybe visit another country where there is no discrimination against tourists.

• Like 2

Khao Yai National Park and Hat Nappharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park were both charging foreign adults 400 baht each in Aug 2020, according to https://2pricethailand.com/   So this price increase is hardly news.

Koh Lanta was charging 200 baht 2 years ago and is now charging 400. I have no previous price information for Khao Laem Ya and Mu Koh Ang Thong National Marine Park.

10 hours ago, Thommo said:

99%  I call BS

Why is it BS?

99 % of farang are on extended temporary visas, that's a fact

So a person willingly moved to a country on a temporary visa, yet wants to be treated as it's their home

It's not...............you are a temporary resident

I am a temporary resident in Canada, I pay more in taxes than 90% of Canadian citizens, but I am temporary

10 hours ago, Janneman said:

They absolutely do. 

Foreigners always pay more.

Especially those who "don't mind paying more". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Why is it BS?

99 % of farang are on extended temporary visas, that's a fact

So a person willingly moved to a country on a temporary visa, yet wants to be treated as it's their home

It's not...............you are a temporary resident

I am a temporary resident in Canada, I pay more in taxes than 90% of Canadian citizens, but I am temporary

I agree, I do not know any farang in Thailand who can claim to "live" there, most of them staying long term are as you say on annual visa extensions, I do not know any farang with a permanent residency visa.

In normal times there are around forty million tourists per year, I don't think they will mind paying a few baht extra to visit tourists attractions.

The few hundred thousand moaning long term farangs threatening to boycott such attractions are insignificant in comparison, they will not change the rules to please you.

You already know when you agreed with the visa rules allowing you to stay there, buy a house, a car and a few buffalo you do not have any rights to own, so, either stay and live under those conditions or leave. 

Yet another headline that will undermine the TAT message that Thailand welcomes tourists, what this says to me is not Thailand welcomes tourists but Thailand welcomes tourist money only! London for example is a major tourist destination welcoming over 21 million tourists every year, all London's major museums are free to both locals AND tourists. Those places where you have to pay eg Tower of London etc the price is the same if you are from the UK or a tourist. I appreciate that tourists can largely afford the extra but what sort of message does dual pricing send to guests in your country?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

Yet another headline that will undermine the TAT message that Thailand welcomes tourists, what this says to me is not Thailand welcomes tourists but Thailand welcomes tourist money only! London for example is a major tourist destination welcoming over 21 million tourists every year, all London's major museums are free to both locals AND tourists. Those places where you have to pay eg Tower of London etc the price is the same if you are from the UK or a tourist. I appreciate that tourists can largely afford the extra but what sort of message does dual pricing send to guests in your country?

I think it is a stupid move, but you do realize 99% of the tourists won't even ever hear about this, right?

Dual pricing is only whined about on these forums by expats

Yes, it may leave a bad taste in some tourists mouth when they see they have to pay more

But dual pricing won't affect tourist #'s in the slightest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I think it is a stupid move, but you do realize 99% of the tourists won't even ever hear about this, right?

Dual pricing is only whined about on these forums by expats

Yes, it may leave a bad taste in some tourists mouth when they see they have to pay more

But dual pricing won't affect tourist #'s in the slightest

Agreed. But that doesn’t make it morally the right thing to do. For me most, if not everything that is wrong in Thailand that creates negative comments from expats comes down to the morality of the issue. 

• Like 1

Visiting a national park is a luxury, not a necessity. The powers that be would have done due diligence with regard what they feel foreigners are willing to pay. The merits of their decision will become apparent in due course, as visiting national parks in Thailand is not a mandatory requirement, the general public will vote with their feet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. But that doesn’t make it morally the right thing to do. For me most, if not everything that is wrong in Thailand that creates negative comments from expats comes down to the morality of the issue. 

Expats do not have a voice in public, or in politics, only on forums like this so it does not matter what they say or think. 

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Expats do not have a voice in public, or in politics, only on forums like this so it does not matter what they say or think. 

That’s exactly why they voice their opinions on this forum. Thank you for reenforcing my point. If expats did have a voice (as many do in western countries) then there may perhaps be less complaining on this forum? 

Dual pricing are in so many countries and in so many ways, I would not know where to start if I was to list some examples. And it is not always simply to make the tourists pay. These sites and parks need ressources and tourism is often the main source of income. So in Thailand, it is either a higher price for tourists who have on average much higher salaries and a lower price for locals with generally much lower salaries. Or the same price for all but then most locals would not be able to afford visiting these sites and parks in their own country. When I first came to Thailand, I did not mind that at all cause again, I have experienced dual pricing so many times including IN EUROPE!! Now living here, I could not care less. About 3 years ago, I was going to a waterfall literally 2km from my home with my partner. I did not even know there someone at the entrance. It was free for my Thai partner and some fees for me, although the lady knew I lived 2 km away. It is just a bloody waterfall, I have seen millions of them so I did not want to pay for that one. I ended up going there eventually anyway via another way known by locals. There are always ways around things in life, and like I would do anywhere in the world, I just get on with it.

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

That’s exactly why they voice their opinions on this forum. Thank you for reenforcing my point. If expats did have a voice (as many do in western countries) then there may perhaps be less complaining on this forum? 

But perhaps what you perceive as "complaining" is just really simply an opinion in an online forum exactly like yours. You are here to express opinions and views on certain topics. But so are everybody else. And if you continue to think that people are here to complain as you have done enough times by the way, then you are here to complain about people complaining, which obviously makes far more sense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manu said:

But perhaps what you perceive as "complaining" is just really simply an opinion in an online forum exactly like yours. You are here to express opinions and views on certain topics. But so are everybody else. And if you continue to think that people are here to complain as you have done enough times by the way, then you are here to complain about people complaining, which obviously makes far more sense.

Sorry @Manu but I don’t think people are complaining. I was responding to people who see posted views and opinions as complaints. I have no problem with people posting positive or negative comments on this forum. That’s what it’s for. I fail to see why complaining is of its self negative. Many good things have come from people complaint over the centuries. Keep em coming is what I say. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manu said:

Dual pricing are in so many countries and in so many ways, I would not know where to start if I was to list some examples. And it is not always simply to make the tourists pay. These sites and parks need ressources and tourism is often the main source of income. So in Thailand, it is either a higher price for tourists who have on average much higher salaries and a lower price for locals with generally much lower salaries. Or the same price for all but then most locals would not be able to afford visiting these sites and parks in their own country. When I first came to Thailand, I did not mind that at all cause again, I have experienced dual pricing so many times including IN EUROPE!! Now living here, I could not care less. About 3 years ago, I was going to a waterfall literally 2km from my home with my partner. I did not even know there someone at the entrance. It was free for my Thai partner and some fees for me, although the lady knew I lived 2 km away. It is just a bloody waterfall, I have seen millions of them so I did not want to pay for that one. I ended up going there eventually anyway via another way known by locals. There are always ways around things in life, and like I would do anywhere in the world, I just get on with it.

Hey Manu

You aren't allowed to be rational about such things!

It's against forum rules 5555

• Haha 1

Asian ecomiucs 101 - business slow, not many customers, put the price up. Business analysis and due diligence - all foreignness are rich, even if they say they are not they are lying.

• Haha 1