News Forum - Philippines offers attractive alternative to Thailand’s 10 year LTR visa

Thaiger

The Philippines has launched a Special Investors Resident Visa (SIRV) offering permanent residency to any foreigner who invests at least US$75,000 in business or securities. The visa reaps more rewards for a smaller investment than Thailand’s 10 year Long Term Resident (LTR) visa, which hasn’t attracted as much attention as initially hoped since its launch last month. Once a foreigner has invested in the Philippines, they are immediately awarded residency – something that Thailand does not offer. The SIRV holder, their spouse, and children can freely enter and exit the Philippines whenever they desire, forever. Whereas, investors applying for a […]

The story Philippines offers attractive alternative to Thailand’s 10 year LTR visa as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Let the market force decide the results. Every country needs investments. It is the survival of the fittest world. Hence the more attractive and ease the process is, the more the demand will be generated. Further Philippines has the advantage of language where English is a common language there which makes it easy for foreigners to move around and settle easily. Only issue is the constant weather related issues which causes huge damages across the country. 

No offence to this amazing concept... but someone that rich and single would certainly find some beautiful young lady to marry and skip these fees altogether ... imagine getting there meeting some beautiful lady and realising you had thrown away $ 75,000

That being said thailands offer as im said before is weak ... perhaps a normal digital nomads visa .. thais seem to think all farangs are super rich ( i see this time and time again)  $1500-2000 a month is a good salary for most of the UK in the north for example.

I always find it amusing that farangs go to Thailand when the phillipines is full of real traditional women who dont want your money and follow catholic values. That is the UK 100 years ago and real traditional... filipinas marry for love and not money and there is no dowry. Foreigners give their brides money because they want to .. not because its culture.

Edited by jobapps
  • Confused 1

So basically the entire region is now offering reasonable options for digital nomads and young retirees with money, except Thailand where the requirements are so high that 99% won't qualify and those who do won't bother with it. Even those who earn enough for the remote worker category may not qualify if they work for a startup or other small company and not a large corporation or exchange traded company.

P.S. Most large corporations won't allow employees to work in another country for tax and liability reasons, so even the ones who do qualify under this category won't be able to use it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Further Philippines has the advantage of language where English is a common language there which makes it easy for foreigners to move around and settle easily. Only issue is the constant weather related issues which causes huge damages across the country. 

That is definitely not the only issue, lol. There is a severe lack of infrastructure, corruption at every level of government and court system, violent crime and dangerous do-not-go zones, and the list goes on. It's very fun for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there for more than a few months.

20 minutes ago, jobapps said:

No offence to this amazing concept... but someone that rich and single would certainly find some beautiful young lady to marry and skip these fees altogether ... imagine getting there meeting some beautiful lady and realising you had thrown away $ 75,000

That being said thailands offer as im said before is weak ... perhaps a normal digital nomads visa .. thais seem to think all farangs are super rich ( i see this time and time again)  $1500-2000 a month is a good salary for most of the UK in the north for example.

I always find it amusing that farangs go to Thailand when the phillipines is full of real traditional women who dont want your money and follow catholic values. That is the UK 100 years ago and real traditional... filipinas marry for love and not money and there is no dowry. Foreigners give their brides money because they want to .. not because its culture.

"Catholic values" always makes me smirk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as if they didn't systematically rape 10's of thousands of kids and covered it up at the highest levels

Let's just sweep that under the rug when talking about "values"

• Like 2

Ok so the Philippines is targeting "wealthier" foreigners. It's a wonderful offer, and yes there are many positive attributes to the country. (Sadly, cuisine isn't one of them.)  Unfortunately,  a major concern for people of financial means is personal security. Kidnapping and extortion are a way of life in the Philippines and living in a fortified dwelling and travelling with armed guards isn't fun. No going for a run around town, no bicycle trips to nowhere, no trips to the open markets and no setting foot outside designated safe zones. That's not a life.  I had to live like this when I worked in Manilla. As fond as I was of the the Pinoy people and as kind and warm as they were,  a violent attack was always a possibility. There was  bank branch in our office building, and armed gangs tried to rob it twice, resulting in gunfights like  it was 1920's Chicago.  

Personal security has only gotten worse in the country as poverty expands. I would gladly live for an extended period in some parts of the country, but whatever savings I might achieve would be offset  by the large expenditure in private security  needed.

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Let the market force decide the results. Every country needs investments. It is the survival of the fittest world. Hence the more attractive and ease the process is, the more the demand will be generated. Further Philippines has the advantage of language where English is a common language there which makes it easy for foreigners to move around and settle easily. Only issue is the constant weather related issues which causes huge damages across the country. 

I don't find getting by on English is that hard at all in Thailand these days

Even in the most local of areas and local instances(like a govt office) you will find someone that speaks and understands English

Plus

I quite enjoy all the funny mess-ups in languages, actually miss that my wife doesn't have many funny mess-ups as she used to

And, if you are living in a country, you should learn their language as well, enough to get by

Each and every coutry is introducing special visa for digital nomads nowadays. Some exotic countries with very few rules? Colombia, Mauritius, Cape Verde 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Janneman said:

Each and every coutry is introducing special visa for digital nomads nowadays. Some exotic countries with very few rules? Colombia, Mauritius, Cape Verde 

Belize, Panama, Indonesia, Ecuador, and Nicaragua too

When it comes to 'special visa' for digital nomads I feel that Thailand with its list of restrictions etc has largely missed the boat compared to many others.