True story about expat community assistance on Phuket

KaptainRob

Have a look at past vids by Chris Parker called 'giving it back'. He regularly on his channel - Rethaired working for you -  gives back the money he earns from the channel and donations from other Expats to poor Thais in need.  

I wish the Thai Govt, especially Anutin, would acknowledge what many Expats living in Thailand are doing for the Thai people. This is just a small sample - there are good things being done all over Thailand by Expats in their local areas. Not all Expats are scum Sexpats and p**heads partying in the streets - many Expats are good decent people, and many of them are married to Thais and are supporting them and their broader family - especially now in this time of need.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I wish the Thai Govt, especially Anutin, would acknowledge what many Expats living in Thailand are doing for the Thai people. This is just a small sample - there are good things being done all over Thailand by Expats in their local areas. Not all Expats are scum Sexpats and p**heads partying in the streets - many Expats are good decent people, and many of them are married to Thais and are supporting them and their broader family - especially now in this time of need.

Yeah, but there is nothing wrong with going out and partying. Before the CV-19 and no choice now I only went out when friends and associates visited here. Now that  am older I just do more of it at home and no one visits.. I would gladly donate $10,000 - $20,000 to help a community of my choice out in exchange for a PR to be set for life.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBiscuit said:

Well said. I'm just starting my new life in Thailand (arrived in Phuket sandbox on 2nd July). I am definitely in the latter category. 

Best wishes to all. 

David. 

Enjoy your new life here. Actually I am sort of jealous your are in such a nice place with beach and sand right now. I would be way stoked to be sitting out with a nice umbrella drink looking at the beach and water. What country you from?

6 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Have a look at past vids by Chris Parker called 'giving it back'. He regularly on his channel - Rethaired working for you -  gives back the money he earns from the channel and donations from other Expats to poor Thais in need.  

I heard that he's donated a massive sum toward this effort, but I'll not repeat the figure mentioned without verification.  Sadly, certain multi-millionaire Thai's are too busy feathering their nests to worry about the average Somchai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I heard that he's donated a massive sum toward this effort, but I'll not repeat the figure mentioned without verification.  Sadly, certain multi-millionaire Thai's are too busy feathering their nests to worry about the average Somchai.

They don't do anything with out something in return. and normally that is called write off with free PR trying to make them look like an angel.

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

They don't do anything with out something in return. and normally that is called write off with free PR trying to make them look like an angel.

If you knew just how much this guy has donated you'd not put his efforts down to PR.   Those who know more about him may wish to fill in the blanks but for now I am singing his praise.

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

If you knew just how much this guy has donated you'd not put his efforts down to PR.   Those who know more about him may wish to fill in the blanks but for now I am singing his praise.

Actually I was referring to Thai elite Hi-So's "you" took a poke at. Say like CP or one of the Beverage companies and we can even go as far as the Government and .

39 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Actually I was referring to Thai elite Hi-So's "you" took a poke at. Say like CP or one of the Beverage companies and we can even go as far as the Government and .

Ok fair comment then.  Your post was ambiguous

my greatest respect for all of you who help and support

we up here in the middle of the “poor” Isaan we do not see that very often. In the small villages, all around, people help people and this has been done always since I know of.

Humanity is still alive and that is great to see and to feel

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Frank said:

my greatest respect for all of you who help and support

we up here in the middle of the “poor” Isaan we do not see that very often. In the small villages, all around, people help people and this has been done always since I know of.

Humanity is still alive and that is great to see and to feel

Helping others with cash handouts seldom does any long term good so providing food or other goods is ideal.  We have recently assisted our extended family with buying and delivery of: 20 concrete tubs, 20 lime tree seedlings, a tricycle for Mum, and various food parcels - all ordered online or arranged by phone or posted 900km across the country.

The family has sufficient rice paddy for own consumption, some cattle and home-grown vegetables.  Other BKK family send small cash amounts to help with electric bills and fuels, meat, cooking oil etc.  We found that too much cash given often went toward minor gambling, or alcohol and cigarettes.

When we lived there briefly I had rewired the house, installed a Main circuit breaker board, 2 aircon units, ceiling fans and a water tank/pump system.  Each return visit I find things poorly maintained or broken.  Sometimes we have to fetch professional help by phone as village "experts" are simply not expert.  EG: The "electrician come plumber come carpenter" was good at replacing a 60amp fuse (with a piece of fencing wire) but turned up drunk when I needed help to install a new mains board ... did it myself.

I marvel at the simplicity of rural life and the richness of both family and community relationships. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, thai3 said:

I'd like to watch it but just cannot stand the presenter, his accent alone is annoying

Turn subtitles in ENGLISH or Thai, ON.  Mute sound.  Annoying accent no more :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Turn subtitles in ENGLISH or Thai, ON.  Mute sound.  Annoying accent no more :)

But Chris Parker is speaking Canadian. I don't know if YouTube can translate that.

8 hours ago, JamesE said:

But Chris Parker is speaking Canadian. I don't know if YouTube can translate that.

Same same as American, na?  ;)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thai3 said:

I'd like to watch it but just cannot stand the presenter, his accent alone is annoying

X2, 6 seconds in and my auditory nerves are bleeding. 

I love Chris's work he is doing a great job of promoting all the good that is in Thailand and helping out in a positive way where he can. It would be good if he could name check this forum in one of his videos as he would no doubt direct a lot of new members who could help to build the community.