News Forum - Foreigners anger Chiang Mai locals for kissing in temple

Thaiger

A foreign couple enraged Chiang Mai locals after a picture emerged of them kissing beside the famous Wat Si Suphan temple. Wat Si Suphan in the northern province of Chiang Mai became even more popular this week after its 500 year old stupa, or chedi, collapsed. The Thai media reported locals and foreigners swarmed to the historic building this week to see its ruins and also visit the temple’s signature tourist site, the main silver hall. It is the silver hall that was used as a background for a couple taking a selfie picture kissing that enraged locals in Chiang Mai […]

The story Foreigners anger Chiang Mai locals for kissing in temple as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

It's a place of worship. No different than any cathedral open to the public in Europe. Don't curse, don't spit, control yourself. Have respect. 

• Like 4

Foreigners should be given a pamphlet on the do's and don'ts when in Thailand.

It's common sense to look into Thai Culture before you come to Thailand.

• Like 1

Yes its horrible kissing in a temple much worst then dealing pills ,killing ,cheating , raping and all the other stuff that go on in there 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Prosaap said:

Yes its horrible kissing in a temple much worst then dealing pills ,killing ,cheating , raping and all the other stuff that go on in there 

Manners maketh man. I don't think it's a case of this is worse than that, at times it is what is respectful to other people that really matters.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Geoff123 said:

Foreigners should be given a pamphlet on the do's and don'ts when in Thailand.

It's common sense to look into Thai Culture before you come to Thailand.

Yes because Thais are so adamant about looking into other cultures when they travel

Actually, Asians in general

They are all hypocrites in this manner..........

Asians are some of the worst offenders of not following cultures outside Asia but yet demand it of every tourist!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Utter BS. I don’t think anyone is mad here in CM except probably a single lunatic who is self absorbed in being at this temple. That is a warm peck, not a BJ or cramming their tongues down each other’s throats while grabbing some booty. Take a 1000 Thai and 990 probably don’t care. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This group also holds;    "Tradition states that women are not allowed in the silver hall because Lanna’s belief states that a woman could cause deterioration to the sacred talisman buried under the hall."

They are offended by a a mild PDA. However, I ask these holy men, what is more offensive, a non harmful gesture of love or their embrace of bias and hatred, marginalizing 1/2 the population.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel people get upset just to get upset.   And before the mob of people get on me about local culture, plenty of locals could give two 💩 but we only hear from the hysterical ones.  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Cabra said:

It's a place of worship. No different than any cathedral open to the public in Europe. Don't curse, don't spit, control yourself. Have respect. 

People get married in cathedrals all over the world.  This typically comes "you may now kiss the bride" ...

I really doubt someone in EU would take offense of a selfie with a kiss too ... even the clergy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haole.TH said:

People get married in cathedrals all over the world.  This typically comes "you may now kiss the bride" ...

I really doubt someone in EU would take offense of a selfie with a kiss too ... even the clergy.

Your conflating a ceremonial kiss with a non ceremonial public display. Two entirely different things. Think of it as etiquette.  Most well-behaved people understand what that entails. Similar to proper dress or behavior in a school or place of business, etc. Even if people don't grasp etiquette, they should know that cultural awareness means different cultures expect different behaviors. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I believe that when you are in another country you should behave with respect to the culture.

Using the excuse of 'they don't do it when they travel to my country' does not wash with me.

Behave and treat people with respect everywhere you go and at least you will know that you have done the right thing.

I'm sure you will feel good within yourself and maybe you have made someone else smile along the way.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Utter BS. I don’t think anyone is mad here in CM except probably a single lunatic who is self absorbed in being at this temple. That is a warm peck, not a BJ or cramming their tongues down each other’s throats while grabbing some booty. Take a 1000 Thai and 990 probably don’t care. 

Because that's Thai culture... Not to publicly offend or criticize others. But you ask 1000 Thais and 990 would say they wouldn't do it or raise their children to.

Some of the comments in this section are bordering on ludicrous... The whataboutism of some monks behaving badly, or the virtues of Buddhism / non-virtuous behavior of some practicing Buddhist, being why they are, is just an excuse to condone bad behavior of others. I for one don't believe in adopting the lowest common denominator of behavior. Good manners and being considerate of other people's culture and mores will always be held in high regard by good natured people. I also know it's futile to try to escape other people’s faults. They are inescapable. All I can do is Just try to escape my own. 

36 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Some of the comments in this section are bordering on ludicrous... The whataboutism of some monks behaving badly, or the virtues of Buddhism / non-virtuous behavior of some practicing Buddhist, being why they are, is just an excuse to condone bad behavior of others. I for one don't believe in adopting the lowest common denominator of behavior. Good manners and being considerate of other people's culture and mores will always be held in high regard by good natured people. I also know it's futile to try to escape other people’s faults. They are inescapable. All I can do is Just try to escape my own. 

It is just an harmless kiss, and I would bet my shirt that this couple would not have done it if they had been aware this would offend people. How in a rational mind in 2022 an harmless kiss OUTSIDE a temple would really create anger?? I tell you whom it would anger: fanatics. Rational people would see it as it is, an harmless kiss perprated by 2 people who obviously are not aware of the mild offense, and move on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

That kiss is not "bad manners" in any situation 

No where

And the exact amount of times I have shown any public affection is zero

Not my style

But it is still not offensive 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Manu said:

It is just an harmless kiss, and I would bet my shirt that this couple would not have done it if they had been aware this would offend people. How in a rational mind in 2022 an harmless kiss OUTSIDE a temple would really create anger?? I tell you whom it would anger: fanatics. Rational people would see it as it is, an harmless kiss perprated by 2 people who obviously are not aware of the mild offense, and move on.

It's not even fanatics

Thais love to acr like they are modest when everything points to that they are not at all

They just pretend to be

The whole country and culture is sexualized

Look at the uniforms of girls in University 

Look at how they sexualize young girls in parades and dance shows

Sex establishments are commonplace all over

Mia Nois are accepted and commonplace all over

So spared me the faux outrage when they want to pretend they are modest 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Manu said:

I don't disagree. Not offense to most, and certainly harmless. Probably based on lack of understanding by the couple involved. But to say it does not matter is not true. It matters to many Thai people (they wouldn't do it, or raise their children to do it). The fact most Thai don't want to impose, or involve themselves in other's business, is why more don't speak up. All I'm saying is being culturally and situationally aware is a form of good manners. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

No where

With all due respect, you don't know what you are taking about. There are other cultures outside the USA. And while you might think it's silly, places like India, Bangladesh, Dubai (and Thailand) have mores that discourage public kissing. Even Germany has laws around certain public displays calling them  "indecent behavior". Being respectful and culturally aware Is a form of good manners. That's all I'm saying. You can be a tool in public in Thailand, and most Thais won't blink, still doesn't mean you aren't a tool in their eyes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

No where

And the exact amount of times I have shown any public affection is zero

Not my style

But it is still not offensive 

But it is offensive to Buddhists, you may not find it offensive Marc but obviously others do, show some respect and ignorance is never any excuse. Personally I find bacon sandwiches delicious but I wouldn't dream of eating one in or around a mosque, because that is the right thing to do.

• Like 2