News Forum - Northern floods tragedy – Monks unable to help

Thaiger

Waist-high water has flooded into riverfront neighbourhoods after the remains of Hurricane Noru dumped a heavy load of rain and knocked down trees. The heaviest rainfall, about 22 centimeters in 24 hours, was recorded in the north-eastern province of Ubon Ratchathani, where more than 5,000 people were moved to shelters on higher ground. In Chai Nat province, Buddhist monks made their presence known on social media Saturday, rescuing a frail old man from severe flooding. netizens could not help but to comment on the monks’ self-sacrifice and kindness. But the story did not have such a happy ending as onlooking […]

The story Northern floods tragedy – Monks unable to help as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

In Chai Nat province, Buddhist monks made their presence known on social media

That tells you all you need to know about Monks here, they need to use social media to tell the world that they got off their collective asses and did something useful for a change.

• Like 3

I have been living in my village for nearly nine years and during this time. I have never seen or heard the monks assist the villagers in any way.The village has according to my partner about 4500 inhabitants.

They collect food and other alms early in the morning sweep around the temple once a day and otherwise never see them except at funerals.What they do with the money collected I honestly do not know.

No further comment

• Like 1

All monks shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, it'd be like saying all Catholic priests are paedophiles, a small bunch of self serving pricks doesn't make a Sangha, feel free to let me know if it's the wrong term.

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

All monks shouldn't be tarred with the same brush, it'd be like saying all Catholic priests are paedophiles, a small bunch of self serving pricks doesn't make a Sangha, feel free to let me know if it's the wrong term.

Agreed Mandy, but the problem lies with the whole philosophy, not just with the individual monks.  The whole religion, as interpreted here,  is about self, about finding self, temple aggrandisement and living OFF the community,  Its practiced differently in say Tibet, where it is about society and making a contribution, in areas such as education, farming and health care, as well as spiritually.  Here, its all take, take, take and very  little about giving back.  Covid showed this in spades. 

• Like 2