News Forum - Shopee Thailand to lay off about 10% of employees

Thaiger

Shopee started a major restructuring charge and it includes plans to lay off more employees of Shopee Thailand. About 10% of jobs will be cut, and it is expected to affect about 100 employees. The Singaporean multinational technology company, a subsidiary of Sea Limited, has restructured its business in many countries this year to make the company more self-sufficient, they say. In the past two years, Shopee closed its businesses in Argentina, India, and France. Shopee Pte. Ltd cut 10% of jobs in China and 3% in Indonesia this year while the company terminated the employment of 300 workers in […]

The story Shopee Thailand to lay off about 10% of employees as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I guess they are going to follow Lazada and get rid of their "service" (read: "we apologise for any inconvenience" but wouldn't do anything about it!") section and put in a stupid computer system which solves absolutely nothing!

• Like 2

Shoppee is the last source for online shopping in our household.  We only use them when the items we want are not available anywhere else for the same price.

It's last because nearly everything is in Thai, it's not farang friendly and the customer service is nearly non-existent.

If the Singaporean owners want it to succeed, it needs to step up to the plate.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Shoppee is the last source for online shopping in our household.  We only use them when the items we want are not available anywhere else for the same price.

It's last because nearly everything is in Thai, it's not farang friendly and the customer service is nearly non-existent.

If the Singaporean owners want it to succeed, it needs to step up to the plate.

Have been using the English version for sometime now here in Thailand.

One thing to be wary of is that if a transaction is cancelled the money paid back needs to go back to a Thai registered account. ie Thai ID and bank a/c.  You can pay with a farlung a/c but no refund to the same a/c.

Have not been able to get any satisfaction for a refund to a Thai a/c in farlung name as the system will not accept foreign passport ID. Gave up on trying to sort it on the phone.

So open the account  in your Thai ladys name.

1 hour ago, palooka said:

One thing to be wary of is that if a transaction is cancelled the money paid back needs to go back to a Thai registered account. ie Thai ID and bank a/c.  You can pay with a farlung a/c but no refund to the same a/c.

Have not been able to get any satisfaction for a refund to a Thai a/c in farlung name as the system will not accept foreign passport ID. Gave up on trying to sort it on the phone.

Only part of the website is in English.  Try tracking your delivery.  All in Thai.  Product descriptions, mostly in Thai.

As for the farang ID thing, the issue is about how many numbers in the ID.  If you got a Covid vaccination, you were given a number 600000XXXXXX.  Try that. That number works in every system in Thailand that requires a national ID number that doesn't accept your PP number, that I've tried.  I've used mine several times, and just recently in Lotus's shopping app.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, palooka said:

Ditto here....

ATM'd the full payment to Shopee. They say, never received. So I 7eleven'd it again, thinking that any respectable business would reconcile the payment.

BUT NO..!!! THEY WERE INDIFFERENT. NO REFUND FROM THEM EVEN THOUGH THEY ACKNOWLEDGED RECEIVING THE MONEY.

Unlike Mr.Stretch, SHOPEE is not even my last resort - i shun it totally. Don't care to be "twice bitten." There are enuf shops in the vicinity, even if I have to pay more. After all, how much more can it possibly cost...!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, palooka said:

I have been using shopee often since arriving in bkk early last year, Had a few cancelations and money was refunded to my Thai bank account, no issue

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thommo said:

I have been using shopee often since arriving in bkk early last year, Had a few cancelations and money was refunded to my Thai bank account, no issue

Fantastic BUT how did you get past the ID number to set up the refunds?  It only wants Thai ID and will not accept passort numbers.

21 hours ago, MrStretch said:

If you got a Covid vaccination, you were given a number 600000XXXXXX. 

Mine was not accepted but thanks for the info it may well help some one else.

12 hours ago, palooka said:

Fantastic BUT how did you get past the ID number to set up the refunds?  It only wants Thai ID and will not accept passort numbers.

I dont actually recall, I assume I just used my Australian pp number.  I had around 10 refunds over the past 1.5 years with no issue, it comes back to my thia visa debit card usually within 7 days after cancelation.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 6:29 PM, palooka said:

Mine was not accepted but thanks for the info it may well help some one else.

just as an update I linked my back account today successfully using my thai social security number when it was prompting for the IC number 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thommo said:

just as an update I linked my back account today successfully using my thai social security number when it was prompting for the IC number 

Thanks I will give it another go tonight, hopefully successful.

3 hours ago, Thommo said:

Thanks @Thommojust went through.  Not much coming back in cancelled orders but better my pocket than theirs. 

Feel sure my  wife will try hard to find something to spend it on.🤣

• Haha 1