News Forum - Airport expansion plans hastened across Thailand

Thaiger

With high season approaching and the government predicting big numbers, airport expansion plans are being put on the fast track. One of Thailand’s goals as international travel begins to return in greater numbers is to become a transport hub for Southeast Asia. To help realise the goal and make room for an influx of travellers, facilities are being expanded both domestic and international airports around the country. Smaller regional hubs race to expand and increase their capacity for domestic travellers. Krabi Airport in Southern Thailand will herald travellers to popular tourist destinations outside of Phuket. Khon Kaen Airport in the […]

The story Airport expansion plans hastened across Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Betong is a place where the travel insurance is not covered and Mae Sot is just across Myanmar where the refugees are flocking in......Already Nok Air has cancelled its services to some of the destinations. It is really challenging times to keep things floating....

This Idea comes from the If you build it they will come school of wishful thinking.

Not long ago I was reading about the airlines eliminating flights due to a lack of passengers. 

6 hours ago, Naanlaew said:

This Idea comes from the If you build it they will come school of wishful thinking.

Not long ago I was reading about the airlines eliminating flights due to a lack of passengers. 

Yeah one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world for decades 

The leading tourist destination this year

But it's "wishful thinking"

They dream but they just don't take tourist need or desires into consideration. Phuket needs a 2nd runway. Capacity and efficiency cannot improve until  the runway limitation is  addressed. They also need to clean up the  thugs and gangsters who control the transit access.   HuaHin is screaming for  connections from Bangkok.  They won't hook up an efficient and practical railway link to Hua Hin from BKK or DMK.  It would be nice if the modernized Udon Thani and Ubon airports.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world for decades 

The leading tourist destination this year

But it's "wishful thinking"

Sure , millions passed through BKK & DMK but I don't believe they were connecting to flights to Mae Sot , Betong, or Khon Khaen.

Did you read the article ?

Edited by Naanlaew

47 minutes ago, Naanlaew said:

Sure , millions passed through BKK & DMK but I don't believe they were connecting to flights to Mae Sot , Betong, or Khon Khaen.

Did you read the article ?

Sorry I thought you meant overall

Yes those spots will be tough to push for tourists although domestic tourism is not out of the question 

Thais seem to like to travel much more these days than way back 

Betong?  It doesn't even have an air carrier anymore.

I never could figure out why they would open an airport there.

There's insufficient population or income levels to justify an airport.  The only time it might be used is for charters for the Haj.

People generally go to Hat Yai or Alor Setar in Malaysia for their flights.

9 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Now you have tourism flat on its back, and airline tickets costing more than double and somehow capacity is going to be a problem? 

Airlines tickets costing double?

We are flying to Phuket smack dab in the middle of the highest of high season on January 2nd and it's the same price it was in May, 1600 baht

On 9/28/2022 at 9:01 PM, Marc26 said:

Airlines tickets costing double?

Flights from Europe or USA are now double what they were a year ago.   

On 10/1/2022 at 3:13 AM, longwood50 said:

Flights from Europe or USA are now double what they were a year ago.   

They are absolutely not

https://www.google.com/travel/flights/search?tfs=CBwQAhoeagcIARIDSkZLEgoyMDIzLTAxLTI5cgcIARIDQktLGh5qBwgBEgNCS0sSCjIwMjMtMDItMjhyBwgBEgNKRktwAYIBCwj___________8BQAFIAZgBAQ&hl=en

About the same price from JFK as the last 20 years 

Actually cheaper than many years I've booked flights 

There were no $500 r/t flights last year unless a deep, deep sale was on......

20 hours ago, Marc26 said:

About the same price from JFK as the last 20 years 

Departing flight prices on the left, returning flight price on the right.  JFK to BKK

image.thumb.png.4f20b78db011bc596ccece7e0c672608.png

Departing London to BKK
image.thumb.png.ca9cf636550177a7f1bb670d89f958f4.png

Departing Rome to BKK

image.thumb.png.02e24907fe246932281ec5685a55f9f8.png

6 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Departing flight prices on the left, returning flight price on the right.  JFK to BKK

image.thumb.png.4f20b78db011bc596ccece7e0c672608.png

Departing London to BKK
image.thumb.png.ca9cf636550177a7f1bb670d89f958f4.png

Departing Rome to BKK

image.thumb.png.02e24907fe246932281ec5685a55f9f8.png

And????

Do you think you were getting flights at half those prices in previous years?

No

I only have personal experience with US(JFK particularly) and Canada

And although prices spiked a bit with Covid(and reduced flights) and oil they are right back down to the range they always have been

In fact, over the last 18 years, they are significantly cheaper

We used to pay minimum 1200r/t and are now down to usually around 1k, outside high season

My wife's flight smack dab in high season Vancouver to BKK is 1400, again right where any high season price would be in any given year

On 10/4/2022 at 12:27 AM, Marc26 said:

My wife's flight smack dab in high season Vancouver to BKK is 1400, again right where any high season price would be in any given year

I have checked numerous prices.  Tickets to Europe double what they were prior to Covid.  Tickets to USA depending on time of year, double.  I am flying to Australia,  Tickets were as low as $350 Roundtrip.  Best price I could fine was $816.00.

image.thumb.png.a8871f524cbcc6b83f36a26b3bd53445.png

https://simpleflying.com/us-domestic-flight-prices-rise/