Visa run to Savannakhet(Non-O/ME/Marriage). Report

friendofthai

Day 1.
14:20 Flight from Surat Thani to Bangkok(Don Mueang)
15:30 Taxi to Suvarnabhumi Airport
18:30 Flight from Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi) to Vientiane. They check vaccination documents before check-in.
19:45 Walk to a cheap hotel near the airport

Day 2.
7:50 Flight from Vientiane to Savannakhet
9:00 Taxi from Savannakhet airport to a hotel and Thai Consulate. There is a good hotel in front of the Consulate (800THB/night)
10:00 Apply for a visa. No queues. No proof of funds, appointments or any additional documents not mentioned on the official website. They said I should collect my passport on the next day (on their website they say it takes 2 days).

Day 3.
14:00 Collect my passport with visa at the Thai Consulate
17:00 Check-out from my hotel and walk to the bus station (1 km from the Consulate)
17:30 Bus to Mukdahan (25k kip, ~1bus/hour). Paid 100 baht on departure at the Savannakhet border checkpoint.
19:30 Bus from Mukdahan to Bangkok to get to Roi Et (~2.5 hours to go), 179 baht.
22:00 Taxi from the Roi Et bus station to my hotel

Day 4.
7:30 Flight from Roi Et to Bangkok (Don Mueang)
9:00 Walk to the commuter train station, cross the road and use one of the numerous hostels to sleep for 2 hours (400 baht).
12:30 Flight to Surat Thani

During my trip I avoided using long bus trips (8-12 hours) because it is pain to seat in a deadly cold bus for such a huge amount of time. Next time I will not go to Vientiane because flight to Roi Et followed by bus to Mukdahan and Savannakhet looks much simpler. 

• Like 1

Wow, That seems complicated. An example of my last one was, wake up when I wake up drive 1 hour to the IMM office, get a que ticket, wait 5-30 minutes, get the appointment, come back on day of appointment grab a que ticket wait 5-30 minutes, do the interview and out the door with a one year extension in an hour or so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Faz said:

Just wondering why you went to Savannahket, when you could have flown straight to the Thai Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam from Bangkok, for the Non Imm O ME.

Savannakhet(and Laos) has several advantages for the guys married with thais. Most of us can speak thai (basic communications). People in Laos speak Isaan language and can understand and speak thai fluently. So communications are much easier in Laos.
And .... I really don't like entering via Bangkok - feels like during graduation exams in university.
Land border crossings are so much easier to cross: smiling people, just show passport and arrival card and you are in Thailand.

Thank you for this (Ho Chi Minh City) amazing alternative destination. I will visit HCMC for sure during my next trip!
Is it enough to show a yellow vaccination passport to enter Vietnam? Or they require insurance also?

P.S. In both Savannakhet(almost everywhere) and Vientiane(in the hotels which are close to the Mekong river) you can use your Thai mobile internet. I found It very convenient during my trip.

Edited by friendofthai

12 hours ago, friendofthai said:

Thank you for this (Ho Chi Minh City) amazing alternative destination. I will visit HCMC for sure during my next trip!
Is it enough to show a yellow vaccination passport to enter Vietnam? Or they require insurance also?

I mention HCMC as an alternative destination to obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa, the only difference being HCMC request a signed letter from your spouse requesting the Visa.
Depending on your nationality, you may also be entitled to enter Visa exempt for a limited period.
No Covid test, or Insurance required.
https://vietnam.travel/things-to-do/information-travellers-novel-coronavirus-vietnam

From Bangkok, IMO this is an easier destination to travel to than even your suggested Roi Et > Mukdahan > Savannahket option.

Many Thai Embassies no longer offer the ME Non O Visa, typically those where the application has to be applied for online using the e-visa system. Only the single entry is available, even for Thai spouse/family.
Savannahket and HCMC are the only Thai Embassy's/Consulates to my knowledge that still offer the Non Imm O ME Visa, with no financial proof required.

I assume you are aware you can stay for almost 17 months on the Non Imm O ME before applying for a new Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions?

If you can provide financial proof of 12 x 40K THB monthly overseas transfers, or 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months, you're eligible to apply for 1-year extensions of stay at your local Immigration office.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, Faz said:

From Bangkok, IMO this is an easier destination to travel to than even your suggested Roi Et > Mukdahan > Savannahket option.

You can see that I used different routes for inbound and outbound trips.
Bangkok > Vientiane(by air) > Savannakhet (by air)  and  Savannakhet > Mukdahan > Roi Et > Bangkok(by air)
This is because of my previous experience in BKK. I spent a long time at the immigration counter answering questions about numerous stamps in my passport. They also wanted my marriage docs and some others. Too much bureaucracy. I entered my train on the last minute before departure. So ... no BKK entrance any more. 

I assume you are aware you can stay for almost 17 months on the Non Imm O ME before applying for a new Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions?

Yes. This is my plan.

If you can provide financial proof of 12 x 40K THB monthly overseas transfers, or 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months, you're eligible to apply for 1-year extensions of stay at your local Immigration office.

Theoretically, I can use the "12 x 40K THB monthly overseas transfers" method. But the officer at the Suratthani immigration told me that there is no such an option. Other people said that it is really hard to succeed using this method. Good lawyers or agents are needed.

Edited by friendofthai

12 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

Theoretically, I can use the "12 x 40K THB monthly overseas transfers" method. But the officer at the Suratthani immigration told me that there is no such an option. Other people said that it is really hard to succeed using this method. Good lawyers or agents are needed.

Perhaps you should show him their own Police Order 327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf and in Thai 327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension THAI.pdf 
Section 2.18 - Family members (Thai spouse).

Evidence of income of father, mother or husband who is an alien which shows that throughout a year, an average income is not less than 40,000 baht monthly.
2) Evidence showing pension - a letter of certification on deposit in the bank in Thailand and bank statement showing money transfer from overseas every month for the past 12 months.

Can you not obtain an Income letter from your Embassy?
3) Income certification, certified by the embassy or consular.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Faz said:

Can you not obtain an Income letter from your Embassy?
3) Income certification, certified by the embassy or consular.

No, it is impossible for me. I can only show bank book with more than 40k/month for the last 11 years. But it is not enough for them :( 

Edited by friendofthai
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, friendofthai said:

No, it is impossible for me. I can only show bank book with more than 40k/month for the last 11 years. But it is not enough for them :( 

No way you can borrow 400K THB for just 2 months from a friend or family member?
Even if you repaid it with 10K THB interest, it would be far cheaper than your current travel and Visa costs over a year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I havent been in Savannakhet for many years but have applied several Non O marriage visas from there before.

Im going to there again after long break so if someone can list updated requiments for documents that needed and is health insurance required these days for marriage visa?

5 hours ago, Wallju said:

Im going to there again after long break so if someone can list updated requiments for documents that needed and is health insurance required these days for marriage visa?

No changes.
https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

Non O single entry 2,000 BHT, multiple entry 5,000 BHT.

No Health Insurance required.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I mention HCMC as an alternative destination to obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa, the only difference being HCMC request a signed letter from your spouse requesting the Visa.
Depending on your nationality, you may also be entitled to enter Visa exempt for a limited period.
No Covid test, or Insurance required.
https://vietnam.travel/things-to-do/information-travellers-novel-coronavirus-vietnam

Many Thai Embassies no longer offer the ME Non O Visa, typically those where the application has to be applied for online using the e-visa system. Only the single entry is available, even for Thai spouse/family.
Savannahket and HCMC are the only Thai Embassy's/Consulates to my knowledge that still offer the Non Imm O ME Visa, with no financial proof required.

Another difference is the Thai Consulate in HCMC requires an appointment booked online: no more walk-in service. Last time I checked in late January, there was only 3 dates remaining for February. One week later, they had vansihed and the earliest appointment was in March. I assume they are very busy and from the latest reports from walk-in's at a very, very busy Savanakhet, they may also start an appointment-only system. Better get it while you can.

Edited by cacadordemim
  • Thanks 1

Just noted that the "good hotel in front of the Consulate (800THB/night)"

If it's the Macchiato Resort, it appears to be charging nearer 5000 baht/night for next month on booking.com

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone done the HCMC trip and gotten the ME Non O , 1 year multiple entry visa in the last couple of months? Thinking about going there but would like a confirmation. Tried calling but couldn’t get through. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:43 PM, cacadordemim said:

Another difference is the Thai Consulate in HCMC requires an appointment booked online: no more walk-in service. Last time I checked in late January, there was only 3 dates remaining for February. One week later, they had vansihed and the earliest appointment was in March. I assume they are very busy and from the latest reports from walk-in's at a very, very busy Savanakhet, they may also start an appointment-only system. Better get it while you can.

Have you done the ME Non O  in HCMC one recently? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2023 at 2:14 PM, HLB said:
On 2/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, cacadordemim said:

No. Their "proof of financials" seemed far to nebulous and no clarification if it was a quick flash of the bankbook with at least 20k in it or evidence of the untouchable 400k. Too much of a hassle.

I went for the easy peasy MENO at Savannakhet. Arrived Monday afternoon, rested and submitted on Tuesday morning along with maybe 8 others. Collected on Wednesday afternoon and drove home to Udon in time for supper. They appear to be "very, very busy" only on Monday and Thursday.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:14 PM, HLB said:

9 hours ago, cacadordemim said:

No. Their "proof of financials" seemed far to nebulous and no clarification if it was a quick flash of the bankbook with at least 20k in it or evidence of the untouchable 400k. Too much of a hassle.

No financials requested at HCMC.

What 'untouchable' 400K?