News Forum - Thailand to fly in Russian tourists on chartered flights this High Season

Thaiger

Unlike several European countries launching travel bans on Russia, Thailand welcomes Russian tourists with open arms this winter. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has unveiled plans to fly Russian tourists into Thailand via regular chartered flights to boost tourism revenue this High Season, which runs from November to February. In the years leading up to the pandemic, the Russian market generated a significant chunk of Thailand’s tourism revenue. In fact, Russians became the second largest international source market for Phuket’s tourism industry. Even with the mounds of paperwork, money, quarantine and insurance involved in holidaying to Thailand when the […]

The story Thailand to fly in Russian tourists on chartered flights this High Season as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

I wonder if Aeroflot's B777's will be used on the schedule beginning next month and whether those aircraft are deemed airworthy.  What are the ramifications for service and insurance as one might expect a backlash from the US.

Surely if Russians have to visit Thailand 🙄 ThaiAirways would be a safer airline to employ on schedules or charters.

• Like 3

Yes, the Russians definitely deserve a holiday after all their hard work.

But TAT might forget the impact of inviting Russians on western tourists. Most will not like the idea of spending their holiday surrounded by relaxing Russian soldiers. 

• Like 9

I get that Thailand needs money, but sometimes a person or a country needs to take a moral stand for good. Thailand; importing Russian tourists while their countrymen and women are savaging Ukraine will carry a stain that won't be washed off easily.

"However, since Russian President Vladimir Putin launched an attack on Ukraine in February, several airlines have suspended their Thailand – Russia services, and Russia’s access to the kingdom waned. Some services are still running, but tickets have surged four to five times pre-conflict prices, making travelling to Thailand an unrealistic option for many Russians. Russians still want to come to Thailand, but they are less connected."

Sorry Russians; I know that not all of you support the slaughter in Ukraine by your military and leader, but I don't give a Rat's Ass. Put a bullet in Putin's head and then you'd be welcome.

Not before.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Yes, the Russians definitely deserve a holiday after all their hard work.

But TAT might forget the impact of inviting Russians on western tourists. Most will not like the idea of spending their holiday surrounded by relaxing Russian soldiers. 

I think most people understand that Thailand is not Europe, and as such there will be people from all over. 

I'm not a big fan of Russians generally, find them a bit miserable, but they're better than the sexpat singlet brigade.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Who is going to Charter these flights. The Thai Government??? Doubt that Aeroflot will be in a position to operate a scheduled service to Phuket that is just Russian Propaganda which Thailand would be wise not to become actively involved in Sanction busting which could have disastrous consequences. Best to stay neutral same as China.

• Like 4

It’s all about money here in the land of smiles. As commented some of these tourists could be Russian soldiers on R&R that’ve been killing innocent civilians. I think they should stay in their own country until this is over. 

• Thanks 1

Every country has to look into its own interest and its own economy. That is the priority. Why USA poke its nose into Ukraine. Because of vested interest. Now the country is provoked and every country is supplying arms to Ukraine to fight. Who is benefitting.....Ukraine....not for sure. Ukraine is dying in debts for generations to come. So don't expect Thailand to sit like a lame duck to kill its economy. Better shake hands and try to revive the country and its people form the ailing economy.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

59 minutes ago, Giltee said:

It’s all about money here in the land of smiles. As commented some of these tourists could be Russian soldiers on R&R that’ve been killing innocent civilians. I think they should stay in their own country until this is over. 

And what you think Russians should do has no bearing on what Russians will do. If they can get here, and they come, that's up to them. And if you don't like the fact that they're in Thailand you can act accordingly.

• Like 1

There is no 'high season' here , there hasn't been one for years,  ever since the availability of cheaper, ultra long haul flights, 10 hours plus.   People travel year round now, not just in the Northern Hemisphere winter, and they have much more choice where they vacation in Asia now, to avoid the cold and snow. 

• Haha 1

Not sure how well considered this action is. 
All Westeuropean countries and the US population are all strictly against the war in Ukraine. If Thailand suddenly stand as “kind of” supporter and allowing russians to “invade” the beaches of Phuket etc, that will definetely not go down well in wedtern media and couæd potentially keep a lot of those tourists away. Then the “russian contigent” wouæd need to make up for that loss before it is a good deal for Thailand. Pretty uphill I would think. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Justanotherdude said:

Not sure how well considered this action is. 
All Westeuropean countries and the US population are all strictly against the war in Ukraine. If Thailand suddenly stand as “kind of” supporter and allowing russians to “invade” the beaches of Phuket etc, that will definetely not go down well in wedtern media and couæd potentially keep a lot of those tourists away. Then the “russian contigent” wouæd need to make up for that loss before it is a good deal for Thailand. Pretty uphill I would think. 

You're probably overplaying the importance, if any, that media plays in people's holiday decisions. 

There might be a few Euros who decide to go to another country, a few more who decide to go to another place in Thailand. The vast majority won't care in the slightest. 

The Indians, the Arabs etc couldn't care less. This is the changing nature of the visitor demographics. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I wonder if Aeroflot's B777's will be used on the schedule beginning next month and whether those aircraft are deemed airworthy.  What are the ramifications for service and insurance as one might expect a backlash from the US.

Surely if Russians have to visit Thailand 🙄 ThaiAirways would be a safer airline to employ on schedules or charters.

I'm sure several international finance brokers would be interested in advance knowledge of the imminent arrival of Russian aircraft at Thai airports. I can see impounded and repossessed aircraft rotting in Thailand while courts decide on the ownership. And hundreds more stranded Russians in Phuket and Pattaya. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Justanotherdude said:

All Westeuropean countries and the US population are all strictly against the war in Ukraine.

Really? NATO are running a proxy war and testing out new weapons using the Ukraine military.  I would say that many of the thinking public in the West and elsewhere are also delighted that we are finally standing up to the criminals , bullies' and psychopaths' in the Kremlin. 

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

I'm sure several international finance brokers would be interested in advance knowledge of the imminent arrival of Russian aircraft at Thai airports. I can see impounded and repossessed aircraft rotting in Thailand while courts decide on the ownership. And hundreds more stranded Russians in Phuket and Pattaya. 

Hopefully 

2 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

And hundreds more stranded Russians in Phuket and Pattaya. 

Since Putin wanna mobilize reserves, now, lots of them wouldn't wanna go home again, anyway. Methinks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Or any Russian can fly using Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, or Turkish Airlines, which are all currently flying to both Moscow and Bangkok. 

No need for anyone to get stranded so long as they have the funds and the wherewithal to buy the right ticket. 

Sorry to disappoint you 

3 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

From the gist of the report, Thailand will be supplying the charter flights. Russians are probably wary now of flying on anything in Russia, they aren't all as stupid as Putin.

Probably a lot will use the charter to spring board to other destinations as well. (some permanently)

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, palooka said:

From the gist of the report, Thailand will be supplying the charter flights. Russians are probably wary now of flying on anything in Russia, they aren't all as stupid as Putin.

Probably a lot will use the charter to spring board to other destinations as well. (some permanently)

According to news reports flights out of Russia are in such demand that they are costing €9000+. They are full! Turkey and the middle east are the main destinations,Russians don't need visas.They might head for Thailand!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, yselmike said:

According to news reports flights out of Russia are in such demand that they are costing €9000+. They are full! Turkey and the middle east are the main destinations, Russians don't need visas. They might head for Thailand!

Can't blame them getting out, especially if male and likely to be called up to fight a war they don't agree with.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You're probably overplaying the importance, if any, that media plays in people's holiday decisions. 

There might be a few Euros who decide to go to another country, a few more who decide to go to another place in Thailand. The vast majority won't care in the slightest. 

The Indians, the Arabs etc couldn't care less. This is the changing nature of the visitor demographics. 

you might actually have a point there; unless the German, British, French yellow press gets it and find it interesting enough to start a kind of Shit storm, it will probably not bother anyone.... cheap hol's is more important than a few Russians.

24 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Uh, now it gets interesting, they may ban man between 18 and 65 from leaving the country.

Let the ladies come, then!

Aye but if they meet Ukrainian women it might make the war in the Ukraine look like a walk in the park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2