News Forum - US tourist tips Thai woman 100 dollars to thank for her kindness

Thaiger

A Californian traveller and blogger tipped a Thai woman 100 dollars, or nearly 4,000 baht, after she crafted him a handmade poncho for free on a rainy day. On August 22, the man from California, Chris Rodriguez, posted a video of a Thai woman whom he met near Bangkok Chinatown on his TikTok account with a caption that said… “Thai people are the best!” Watch the video here. The video shows a Thai woman cutting up a big yellow plastic bag to make a poncho. She put the plastic poncho over Rodriguez and made a hole in his face. Rodriguez […]

The story US tourist tips Thai woman 100 dollars to thank for her kindness as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

The video shows a Thai woman cutting up a big yellow plastic bag to make a poncho. She put the plastic poncho over Rodriguez and made a hole in his face. 

Cute.

To pay 100 US for a task, everyone visiting an open air festival  should have in his/her toolbox. 

But yes, it creates followers!

9 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

A publicly stunt,  only 100usd and it seems to have worked

Yup. And unfortunately things like this is why (some) Thais start feeling entitled to large tips from foreigners. All those taxi drivers asking for 10x times what meter would cost aren't doing it out of thin air - they're doing it because guys like this give us an image of suckers who like to throw their money around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Guest1 said:

The video shows a Thai woman cutting up a big yellow plastic bag to make a poncho. She put the plastic poncho over Rodriguez and made a hole in his face. 

Cute.

To pay 100 US for a task, everyone visiting an open air festival  should have in his/her toolbox. 

But yes, it creates followers!

Blogger do anything to create content.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pinga said:

Yup. And unfortunately things like this is why (some) Thais start feeling entitled to large tips from foreigners. All those taxi drivers asking for 10x times what meter would cost aren't doing it out of thin air - they're doing it because guys like this give us an image of suckers who like to throw their money around.

Agree. He spoils the market.

Uses this

3 hours ago, Pinga said:

TAT could use the 100 usd guy along with the 20 cent guy to explain how a high quantity tourist should behave VS a low quality.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pinga said:

Do you mean such people, tipping up to 100% , just because the taxi guy used the meter?

And telling him that it is because he used the meter? Which is in the job description?

🙊

Totally agree this guy is just after publicity by all means give her a tip for her efforts and kindness but theres no need for 100 dollars has others quote this is whats putting Thailand out of peoples reach in todays climate. most Thais will consider this guy a  fool and he certainly is a fool.

18 hours ago, Pinga said:

Don't want to be this negative person. It's certainly kind what he did, but I totally agree with you. He could have given 100 THB for it as tip and she would be happy as well. 

Now expats like me are looked at as an ATM again. 

26 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Don't want to be this negative person. It's certainly kind what he did, but I totally agree with you. He could have given 100 THB for it as tip and she would be happy as well. 

Now expats like me are looked at as an ATM again. 

I am curious, how does being "looked as an ATM' effect you in any way?

I am not having a go at you, just curious

Sure, some places may think we can spend more but besides street stalls that you can haggle with, where else would this come into play?

Restaurants and bars have set prices

Retail stores, set prices

Hotels set prices

I am just trying to think of any times in my 20 years coming to Thailand I was pushed to pay more

There has been occasions where someone asks for a tip when the situation doesn't require a tip, I just make a joke or laugh it off. Annoying at times but didn't actually impact the service.

Maybe tours?  But as an expat I doubt you go on many

PS....I think this vlogger is an idiot showoff

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I am curious, how does being "looked as an ATM' effect you in any way?

I am not having a go at you, just curious

Sure, some places may think we can spend more but besides street stalls that you can haggle with, where else would this come into play?

Restaurants and bars have set prices

Retail stores, set prices

Hotels set prices

I am just trying to think of any times in my 20 years coming to Thailand I was pushed to pay more

There has been occasions where someone asks for a tip when the situation doesn't require a tip, I just make a joke or laugh it off. Annoying at times but didn't actually impact the service.

Maybe tours?  But as an expat I doubt you go on many

PS....I think this vlogger is an idiot showoff

Hey Marc26,

I only understood the term for walking wallets was after until I came to here. ATM is another. 

I am so more smart for living here for seeing it all to the hilt here over my long long time as sort of like the times of change from the early 90's. Easy learning that one can apply back in their own country for what ever I think.

Tips? Oh Boy. Back then till now would equate to sooo much. Move forward don't think backward,