News Forum - Thai govt increase minimum wage by 5% starting on October 1

Thaiger

The Thai Cabinet today agreed to increase the minimum wage throughout the country by 5%. The highest rate is 354 baht per day in Chon Buri, Rayong, and Phuket. The new rate will come into effect on October 1. Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin discussed the topic at today’s Cabinet meeting and it was approved. It is the first time in two years there has been an increase in workers’ salaries. The minimum wage will be not hiked up to the workers’ asking rate of 492 baht per day. The rate will be different in each province according to the GDP […]

The story Thai govt increase minimum wage by 5% starting on October 1 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I read and I listen. yes I'm rural.

19 minutes ago, FarangandEarnest said:

Sounds nice as a headline but I doubt it will get enforced much outside Bangkok and tourist resorts.

If I get work done through locals I pay them the going rate as do a few other farlungs I know in the area.

The increase has to start somewhere locally so the locals get to know the going rates.

Generally speaking for rural Thais they are cheapskates.

Big plus is that if you need local labour they will come tomorrow not next week.  Farlung pay more baht???

At my age they also may look at it that I may not be here next week. Get his baht now.🤣

thats what migrants are for to skirt around the minimum wage ... most of these jobs seem to be migrants anyway .. is this window dressing. .. most restaurants seem to be family run anyway so who is affected by this.. kfc workers? with new teachers being on 15,000 I dont really know

Edited by jobapps

5 hours ago, Skip said:

The second largest city in Thailand... Chiang Mai... didn't make the list?

I find it difficult to find specific provinces in these lists as well.

Chiang Mai is in group 5.

5. The minimum wage is 340 baht per day in Prachin Buri, Nong Khai, Ubon Ratchathani, Phang Nga, Krabi, Trat, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Suphan Buri, Song Khla, Surat Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Lop Buri, and Saraburi

19 hours ago, palooka said:

I read and I listen. yes I'm rural.

If I get work done through locals I pay them the going rate as do a few other farlungs I know in the area.

The increase has to start somewhere locally so the locals get to know the going rates.

Generally speaking for rural Thais they are cheapskates.

Big plus is that if you need local labour they will come tomorrow not next week.  Farlung pay more baht???

At my age they also may look at it that I may not be here next week. Get his baht now.🤣

Oh yeah I will always pay well as long as I know they haven't tried to add their own farang tax.

However I know some locals working for contractors on the road works (seems like that's the favourite government spend in the North) and they aren't getting close to minimum wage.

• Like 1