News Forum - Stingy foreigner pays Thai taxi rider 20 cents for 450-baht ride

Thaiger

A motorcycle taxi rider in Samut Prakarn province near Bangkok warned other riders to be aware of a tight-fisted foreigner who duped him, handing over a 20 cent euro coin, about 7 baht, for a 450 baht fare. The 63 year old motorcycle taxi rider, Subin Waitook, yesterday revealed to the media that a foreign passenger agreed with him to pay 300 baht for a 15 kilometre route from Bangkok Bank Phraeksa branch in Phraeksa district to Central Bangna shopping mall in Bang Na district of Samut Prakarn province. After arriving at the shopping mall, the foreigner asked him to […]

The story Stingy foreigner pays Thai taxi rider 20 cents for 450-baht ride as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 1

OH YEAH! I put one over that stupid bike rider! What an attitude from a tourist/farang who is going to rely on the same sort of transport again in the future. I hope he tries it again with someone who is wised up to the scam and gets his just deserts

• Like 2

Greed for money, sometimes lands in situation like this.

Most of the time foreigners are being cheated by local taxi's why not a single recorded time an foreigner cheat an local ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Noble_Design said:

Definitely not the kind of wealthy foreigners that Thailand is aiming for.

While the high quality foreigners with LTR visas wont need to do 90 day reports, I wouldn't be surprised if the low quality ones will have to do 7d reports. 

A lot about this story doesn’t add up.

If he’s coming from the bank why doesn’t he have any baht? And these locations aren’t exactly heavy on farang—much less able to speak to a win driver to give those directions. 

Also other than the traffic, why wouldn’t he take a taxi? 

37 minutes ago, JJJ said:

A lot about this story doesn’t add up.

If he’s coming from the bank why doesn’t he have any baht? And these locations aren’t exactly heavy on farang—much less able to speak to a win driver to give those directions. 

Also other than the traffic, why wouldn’t he take a taxi? 

Simply put.. he is an a-hole foreigner looking to get above on a hard working Thai to save a few dollars. Maybe a complete misunderstanding. I doubt it.

• Like 2

I think many have mixed feelings as this maybe an honest taxi.  But some around tourist popular areas will attempt to take advantage of a foreigner and charging them more than Thai's.  

Maybe the moral should be do on to others as you would have them do  unto you.  Or whatever is hurtful even financially to others is hurtful to you if someone did this to them.

Thai people want to save face but you don't have much face to save if you cheat others who have little knowledge of local prices.

Edited by ThaistyleJeff

I don't know of any country that accepts coinage from another country.  Occasionally if on the right airline they may accept coins of certain currencys but generally it is NO. (Euro the exception of course)

The biggest coin in Thailand being 10 baht even if he claims to have made a mistake makes him still to the ultimate cheapshate. (stick him on a plane to Russia, might be happy with all the other losers)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't accept foreign currency if you can't identify it's value. Simple. The two agreed upon "Baht", not Euros. The motorcycle taxi driver allowed his greed to control him.  

• Like 2

There is one thing that's for sure. If The Thaiger and other news outlets would dedicate the same amount of reporting when the scam was the other way around we would never be finished. Doesn't mean I condone what happened. It was a dirty trick to play and I hope the culprit get his comeuppance. Who knows, maybe the scammer took revenge for him being scammed previously. Whatever, the world would be a much better place if people where not trying to trick and scam each other and would take pride in an honest days work.

1 hour ago, Donald said:

There is one thing that's for sure. If The Thaiger and other news outlets would dedicate the same amount of reporting when the scam was the other way around we would never be finished. Doesn't mean I condone what happened. It was a dirty trick to play and I hope the culprit get his comeuppance. Who knows, maybe the scammer took revenge for him being scammed previously. Whatever, the world would be a much better place if people where not trying to trick and scam each other and would take pride in an honest days work.

There is literally 2 current Thaiger news posts about taxi scams, there has been numerous Thaiger posts in the last few months on Taxi incidents...........

How you can say that Thaiger doesn't dedicate the same amount of reporting when there is almost weekly stories on taxi/tuk tuk incidents is beyond me..............