Being selective of what fares you take isn't scamming people, IMO

Now I don't think it's providing the service that it should either

That trip is a long, traffic filled trip

We just bought a house in Nonthaburi and it's all traffic

But it happens all over

Try getting a taxi in NYC during rush hour

They all shut off their "available" signs 

Fair enough

I agree that the service is not as good as it should be.

I will try Grab when I am back in Bangkok next month and see how that compares

I'm a foreigner and I've been refused countless times at the same spot when I wanted to go to OnNut. Taxi drivers should just pick up anyone who needs a taxi. That, or stop whining about Grab taking over. 

Taxis can be a pain in the ass everywhere

Many times I prefer to take a taxi when I land at the airport in the US because they are right outside opposed to walking to the Uber spot and trying to find your driver

I landed in Dallas last week, the driver "forgot" to turn on the meter

I said fine and agreed on a fare but said I still needed to use Credit Card, he said fine

We get to hotel and he's taking forever to turn on his account for CC transaction, I am talking close to 10mins

I then say I have cash(not preferred because I have to expense it) and of course, he doesn't have change!

On 9/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, Marc26 said:

I have had instances where the taxis parked outside hotels won't go for a metered fare, but the hotel has just called a taxi that would

Ridiculous but not a huge hassle

And honestly, in 20 years in BKK, I have had maybe 10 total taxis not want to turn on meter and then just usually got a taxi on 2nd request

We were just in Asoke, had no issues whatsoever all over Asoke

From Terminal 21, K Square or up the soi on Soi 16

Well, not sure what time you tried, but after 12am,  taxis always try to go without meter and easily double the fare.

Or maybe the complainant in the article and myself are not lucky ?? lol 

3 hours ago, Pi_Tim said:

Well, not sure what time you tried, but after 12am,  taxis always try to go without meter and easily double the fare.

Or maybe the complainant in the article and myself are not lucky ?? lol 

No that's fair point then because I wouldn't know too much about that these days 

12am-1am is about the latest I stay out these days so don't have a ton of experience anymore with those hours

Back in the day we'd take taxis pretty far from Suk to after hour places but I couldn't even tell you if we just paid a set price or meter

But I'd imagine probably a negotiated price 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:44 PM, MrNovax said:

its not just Thai's, our place is a solid hr drive from Asoke and when in the area i often find myself asking 10 -20 taxi's before getting a "yes".  Part of the problem is that fairs are too low.  i usually demand meter but if they do a decent job i always tip upwards of 20-80% of the meter.  

what determines 20 or 80% tip? Or upwards of that.

If you are looking for a taxi around lower sukhumvit area willing to switch on the meter for you, likely you are going to wait a while. That's one of the places where the taxi thugs hang out. 

Only solution is to stick to the law and the fact that taxis are obliged to switch on the meter. All the taxi thugs have been created by people playing their game and paying outrageously high fares for short rides. 

Never let a thug leverage you and rip you off. Never enter a thugs car, and if you do, you need to get out as soon as you realise you are on the way to being scammed. 

Help your fellow passengers and law abiding taxi drivers by saying No to the thugs every time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnnyb2 said:

If you are looking for a taxi around lower sukhumvit area willing to switch on the meter for you, likely you are going to wait a while. That's one of the places where the taxi thugs hang out. 

Only solution is to stick to the law and the fact that taxis are obliged to switch on the meter. All the taxi thugs have been created by people playing their game and paying outrageously high fares for short rides. 

Never let a thug leverage you and rip you off. Never enter a thugs car, and if you do, you need to get out as soon as you realise you are on the way to being scammed. 

Help your fellow passengers and law abiding taxi drivers by saying No to the thugs every time. 

I don't think that is really that true

It doesn't take long at all to find a taxi to put on the meter if you are actually on Sukhumvit

Now if you are in front of p4p venues like Nana and Cowboy, sure

But I never go more than even 2 taxis on Suk without them agreeing to turn on the meter

On 9/12/2022 at 9:05 PM, Malc-Thai said:

As a foreigner living here,  if I travel to bkk and I want a taxi then I just ask the driver for meter only,  if they say no then take the next one.. it doesn't take long before you get an honest one,  but make sure you tip him and tell him why you tipped him .. 

And don't argue over what amounts to a dollar or 2. we can afford it after all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaidup said:

And don't argue over what amounts to a dollar or 2. we can afford it after all.

Be honest many people (once a year tourists that own thailand) always compare to their holiday exchange rate and say its only so many $$.. the thing is its nothing to do with exchange rate and what your income is in your country, its about the drivers signed up to rules and regulations that they don't adhere to.. how would you like it in your country if the taxis refused to use a meter and increase your fair up to 500% 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 10:43 PM, Marc26 said:

don't think that is really that true

It doesn't take long at all to find a taxi to put on the meter if you are actually on Sukhumvit

Different experiences i guess. Now i said lower sukhumvit. I lived on sukhumvit road for 15 years. I don't know about you, if you are "actually on sukhumvit" too?

16 minutes ago, Johnnyb2 said:

Different experiences i guess. Now i said lower sukhumvit. I lived on sukhumvit road for 15 years. I don't know about you, if you are "actually on sukhumvit" too?

Been on it about 500-700 times I would guess

Does that count???

Seriously I barely ever have an issue with the meter 

You guys must look homeless or something  5555

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Been on it about 500-700 times I would guess

Wow, that's really impressive. That must be some sort of a record. 

"You guys must look homeless or something 5555"

Good humour. We all know taxi thugs target homeless looking people for increased taxi fairs. It's known to be a golden business model for true career thugs

On 9/13/2022 at 7:43 PM, Pi_Tim said:

Yes, taxis are tying - AGAIN - and despite the fare increase they requested - to rip off tourist. Anyone can go to Central World, and try to get a taxi, tuk tuk or even motorbike on Petchburi road. It is a SHAME for Thailand. Even in front of 5 starts hotel, they dont care ! 

Last week, it tooked us 7 taxis in Asoke before finding a good one !! 2 weeks ago, we almost had a fight in Nana with the TukTuks that tried to prevent us to call for a taxi !

As a foreigner, and long term resident, I can guarantee you that I share you anger and shame. Taxis and motorbikes that try to rip me off, they hear my poor thai language replies, and go away as fast as they approach me. 

Unfortunately, the tourists do not know as much as we do, and are left with NO choice, except the online taxi, but most of them will not use it.

And the country wants to attract millions of tourists ??? lol

Where is the police ??? 

Safely inside their air conditioned stations until absolutely unavoidable to attend to something - other than brown envelopes

1 hour ago, Johnnyb2 said:

Wow, that's really impressive. That must be some sort of a record. 

"You guys must look homeless or something 5555"

Good humour. We all know taxi thugs target homeless looking people for increased taxi fairs. It's known to be a golden business model for true career thugs

With the way so many farang an expats look in Thailand, I'd be selective of whi I pick up too! 

70% of them  look like bums......

On 9/15/2022 at 2:58 AM, WilliamG said:

what determines 20 or 80% tip? Or upwards of that.

do they take the ride immediately, do they drive a decent speed (not 5kph nor 300kph), are they somewhat social, and (most importantly) do they take the most direct route to my home.  i know what the meter should read, if their meter is correct and the other info is on point im happy to give them an extra $3-$5 for the 40 minutes of work

Edited by MrNovax
  • Like 1