Phuket Taxi Mafia outed by local Newspaper

KaptainRob

51 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

The declaration by Phuket Vice Governor Amnuay Rodkwan Yodrabham on Friday (Sept 9) that Phuket taxi drivers “must do better” has to be a contender for understatement of the year.

1662842484_1-org.jpg

Read the opinion piece here > Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-taxi-cartels-losing-the-turf-war-85527.php

There are concessions all over the world 

It's just that if a passenger chooses to go outside than that it their choice

I hailed a taxi in downtown Vancouver when I 1st started living there and another taxi blocked us in.

Apparently the taxi I hailed was an "airport taxi" dropping off in downtown and isn't allowed to pick up in downtown 

12 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

The declaration by Phuket Vice Governor Amnuay Rodkwan Yodrabham on Friday (Sept 9) that Phuket taxi drivers “must do better” has to be a contender for understatement of the year.

1662842484_1-org.jpg

Read the opinion piece here > Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-taxi-cartels-losing-the-turf-war-85527.php

I love Thailand and have visited about 10 times but have never been to Phuket.

I must say that from what I have read about tourism scams there, It seems that these are supersized versions of the same scams in other areas and I'm not encouraged to visit anytime soon.

32 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

I love Thailand and have visited about 10 times but have never been to Phuket.

I must say that from what I have read about tourism scams there, It seems that these are supersized versions of the same scams in other areas and I'm not encouraged to visit anytime soon.

Don't allow the scams to put you off, just be aware they exist and enjoy what Phuket has to offer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Don't allow the scams to put you off, just be aware they exist and enjoy what Phuket has to offer.

That is great advice, although I have to admit that I tend to focus on the negatives where Phuket is concerned. It's reputation really does go before it.

1 minute ago, Chaimai said:

That is great advice, although I have to admit that I tend to focus on the negatives where Phuket is concerned. It's reputation really does go before it.

Having lived there I can assure you the bad reputation is well deserved however.  One tends to ignore the scams and most Expats live away from Patong Beach and don't engage in jet-ski or tuk-tuk hires.  I've posted elsewhere the names of 2 bone-fide scooter hire operators and there are many excellent tour operators on the island if one does a little research.

• Like 2