News Forum - Man shot dead by officers after he stormed a police station

Thaiger

A man wielding a baseball bat was shot dead by officers after he stormed a police station, smashed up police vehicles, and taunted officers in the Isaan province of Ubon Ratchathani. The man’s family is seeking justice because they believe the police used excessive force. The 32 year old man, Pattawin, drove a white sedan car into Nam Yuen Police Station in Ubon Ratchathani yesterday at about 2.45pm, parked up and launched four firecracker balls into the car park from his window. Pattawin then got out of his car wielding a 50-centimetre baseball bat and tried to attack officers who […]

The story Man shot dead by officers after he stormed a police station as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I always have to remind myself that although the police here are money-grubbing lazy-ass bureaucrats, they also do some good at times; Thais can get crazy-ass violent, especially when drinking, and someone has to deal with them. In short, police here aren't all evil, just mostly.

However, it beggars belief that this man was not able to be subdued by the several officers present; even with basic training they should have been able to at least tackle and disarm him.

And...

"Pattawin’s father asked for footage from the police station’s security cameras, but the officers informed him that they were broken."

It beggars belief that the security cameras were down at such a convenient time.

This story is not credible, but as it will be the police investigating the police, justice will not be served and the lie will become official.

I often hear Thai people say that they would like Thailand to join the ranks of 'Developed' nations, whatever that means, but it'll never happen as long as incidences like this occur without consequences.

• Like 3

The family is seeking justice. Here that means money. 
The police said the cctv cameras weren’t working. I’ve heard that crock of….used before when police back home beat my son in the police cells where he was being held overnight on minor non violent charges. He never provoked them so asked for camera footage only to be told it wasn’t working. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Giltee said:

The police said the cctv cameras weren’t working. I’ve heard that crock of….used before when police back home beat my son in the police cells where he was being held overnight on minor non violent charges. He never provoked them so asked for camera footage only to be told it wasn’t working. 

Everything is money here. But in a different way they getit.

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I think it is a horrendous way to look at life

They seem to put a value on people and in many instances, it let's the rich do what they want towards the poor 

We've had this discussion before but any farang with Thai family that comes into a situation should fight any talk of a negotiated payout and push for charges

To buck this horrible culture trait of valuing or more so, undervaluing a life 

The many police officers in the police station cannot unarm and stop one man with a baseball bat. This shows the amount of training these police officers have. 

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

We've had this discussion before but any farang with Thai family that comes into a situation should fight any talk of a negotiated payout and push for charges

If you do that you will end up with nothing. I agree it is what needs to be done in theory but Thai society is endemically corrupt at all levels and that is never going to change.

37 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

The many police officers in the police station cannot unarm and stop one man with a baseball bat. This shows the amount of training these police officers have. 

They are obviously learning from the Americans, shoot first and ask any questions later. 

• Angry 1

As a 27 year retired Chicago Det/Sgt it seems the officers did use reasonable force, a baseball bat and crow bar are deadly weapons if used with intent to seriously injure or kill. Unfortunately I have not witnessed Thai police carry "less than lethal" equipment i.e. pepper spray, tazer etc. In the US police are justified in the use of deadly force if they are in fear of their, or another persons life are threatened with deadly force. The officers will need to show that they were within reasonable proximality ( a few feet, generally 20 feet or less in the US) before shooting. Hope this post useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:55 AM, Pinetree said:

They are obviously learning from the Americans, shoot first and ask any questions later. 

Your post is unintelligent, and lacks humor if that was the intent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

I always have to remind myself that although the police here are money-grubbing lazy-ass bureaucrats, they also do some good at times; Thais can get crazy-ass violent, especially when drinking, and someone has to deal with them. In short, police here aren't all evil, just mostly.

However, it beggars belief that this man was not able to be subdued by the several officers present; even with basic training they should have been able to at least tackle and disarm him.

And...

"Pattawin’s father asked for footage from the police station’s security cameras, but the officers informed him that they were broken."

It beggars belief that the security cameras were down at such a convenient time.

This story is not credible, but as it will be the police investigating the police, justice will not be served and the lie will become official.

I often hear Thai people say that they would like Thailand to join the ranks of 'Developed' nations, whatever that means, but it'll never happen as long as incidences like this occur without consequences.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:59 PM, Giltee said:

Don't know about your son's incident, but am not surprised that many cctv systems in Thailand do not work, or not positioned to cover area of interest. I can tell you that the investigation will determine the distance the offender was from officers when shot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USA2ChiangMai said:

Your post is unintelligent, and lacks humor if that was the intent.

It was a statement of fact, The actions of  far too many America Cops is not at all humorous.  

• Confused 1
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

It was a statement of fact, The actions of  far too many America Cops is not at all humorous.  

Perhaps the man simply got what he wanted.  Storming a police station will likely not end well anywhere in the world.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:17 AM, HiuMak said:

We were not present when this occurred. Your making a judgment without knowing how many officers were in that area, the physical layout, and circumstances. Maybe prudent to wait for the investigations outcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pinetree said:

You state " far to many American cops", Not sure where you get your facts from, I spent 27 years in Chicago law enforcement as a Det/Sgt. I can state from experience that unjustified/bad shootings by police are an extremely low % of police involved incidents, but generally make national headlines if race is a factor.

The great majority of shootings are investigated by outside agencies such as FBI, and state with full transparency of outcome. All US agencies operate under guidelines established by the federal government allocating established mandatory training, and standards for use of force that comply with state and federal law before an officer is put on the street. 

Policing in the US certainly can improve with better/more training. With college educated, mature candidates. Unfortunately college educated, mature candidates that could make fine city, town, state officers most often look at federal law enforcement positions, where their efforts are better compensated, appreciated, and their, and their families lives are not confronted with the same day to day risks as uniform patrol cops.

Gathering all evidence before drawing conclusions. There certainly are bad cops and much room to improve, as in all professions i.e. teachers, clergy, politicians etc. but to paint with abroad brush is disrespectful to the overwhelming professionals that serve us and our communities.

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/verbruggen-fatal-police-shootings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USA2ChiangMai said:

I can state from experience that unjustified/bad shootings by police are an extremely low % of police involved incidents

In the UK and most of Europe there are not any. In the eyes of most of Europe I would say, and add Australia and New Zealand to that list, you are on very shaky ground trying to defend US law enforcement in the light of many, if not to say, constant unjustified shootings initiated by your Police Service.. 

Got to admit if I had a gun and someone was coming at me with an iron bar I too would be inclined to shoot him However the CCTV conveniently not working gives rise to a suspicion that the true facts may not be quite as favourable to the police as the story would tend to indicate. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 4:39 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Wasn't violent, but had mental problems... how often do we hear that one?

• Thanks 1