News Forum - Heaviest rain in two decades pushes Bangkok’s canals to the brink

Thaiger

Bangkok’s heaviest rains in over two decades are pushing its canals to the brink. The downpours started Tuesday evening, overwhelming the canals. Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said Bang Khen district has reported 170millimetres of rain since Tuesday, which has been the highest amount in 20 years. Klong Lat Phrao and Kong Prem Prachakon canals have seen water levels rising to the point of causing massive flooding. The Bang Khen roundabout and areas surrounding the new, electric train route tracks have all flooded. The governor has attributed part of the flooding to the new tracks as drainage has slowed. He says the […]

The story Heaviest rain in two decades pushes Bangkok’s canals to the brink as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Wasn't that long ago someone, the previous governor perhaps, had promised an end to flooding in the effected areas due to new drainage tunnels and pumps.  Hollow promises and blocked drains?

• Like 1

Well....it seems like both positive and negative impacts....of course the flood is the negative impact. The positive side is that all the canals in Bangkok gets flushed completely. All the pungent stagnant water is being flushed once and for all. May be after this the residents will take good care of the canal by not filling it all their trash.

• Confused 1

It's all the dodgy money sloshing around, basically decades of mal-appropriated city money down the drain, so much of it, that it finally blocked them. And here we are. 

How can the world's most visited city, boasting some of the world's best hotels, and a consumer base of over twice the population of New Zealand, including hundreds of dollar Billionaire residents, be so utterly down at heel and shambolic?

Edited by Venusianhart

On 9/8/2022 at 7:03 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

May be after this the residents will take good care of the canal by not filling it all their trash.

Dream on

My wife's old house in Samut Prakan used to flood really bad, so we made the move to Nonthaburi just in time in June

Can't imagine how flooded the old house must be

BUT.......their whole street now is dealing with snakes!

Coming out of the woodwork from the big field next to her house 

And that is a BIG problem for me!!   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

CM just had a huge 30 minute down pour. Love it. 

I agree, i  love the rainy season. Unless I'm stuck in a traffic jam😩

On 9/8/2022 at 1:22 PM, KaptainRob said:

Wasn't that long ago someone, the previous governor perhaps, had promised an end to flooding in the effected areas due to new drainage tunnels and pumps.  Hollow promises and blocked drains?

But probably some have overflowing bank accounts. (pun intended)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

My wife's old house in Samut Prakan used to flood really bad, so we made the move to Nonthaburi just in time in June

Can't imagine how flooded the old house must be

BUT.......their whole street now is dealing with snakes!

Coming out of the woodwork from the big field next to her house 

And that is a BIG problem for me!!   

Have plenty being flushed out by floods here also and I  hate the buggas with a vengeance.

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Have plenty being flushed out by floods here also and I  hate the buggas with a vengeance.

We put down this powder around the perimeter of the house that I read about and that seemed to work well

But it's obviously useless with all this rain 

I'm petrified of them 

• Like 1