Which trees in Thailand are the best at absorbing water?

Hamzah1985

3 hours ago, Hamzah1985 said:

Which trees in Thailand are the best at absorbing water?

Not a tree but these are Heliconia same family as bird of paradise and they love water. 

image.thumb.png.1bbb11e157becc18bb65c72c0bccc1f3.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well,- it would be helpful to know a few more details about your 'Water-absorbing Trees', Hamzah1985 : Are you perhaps looking for trees to grow in wet conditions and to assist with "pumping water out of wet soil", I wonder ?

And if so, I think I might be able to come up with an original suggestion !  Because over in neighboring Vietnam they have this native tree called 'Thong Nuoc', or 'Thuy Tung' - and which they call 'Mai Hing Sam' up in Laos, where it occurs, too - - and which the Western gardeners & botanists then call the 'Chinese Water Pine' or 'Chinese Swamp Cypress',- or Glyptostrobos pencilis in botanical Latin.

And this tree is a really "A Living Fossil" which about 10 million years back was found all the way over to Europe, too, and most likely was distributed into Thailand, also, at some point. And a tree which in S. China and S.E. Asia mainly has survived extinction because the local farmers discovered that it was "very handy to grow this Water Pine out by their Rice-fields",- where it will stand & thrive growing into wet soils & low water, just like 'It's Brother', the Swamp Cypress over in the S.E. USA.  And same as this Swamp Cypress, this Chinese Water Pine then also re-sprouts from the ground after logging, and also provides good and durable timber-wood, too...in case you might be interested ?

• Like 1

^ Well described, Dane. 

Another suggestion [yet not strongly advised] might be the destructive Australian variety of eucalyptus....which was introduced decades ago as an option for cheaper and fast growing lumber. 

Appears that this fashion has been somewhat abandoned recently, as these varieties establish themselves in the already loamy Thai soil where nothing else can thrive within a 1000-2000 meter perimeter.....not even scrub get on well. 

Go with something locally or regionally native. If you're not sure, do your own research or ask a local horticulturist whom might understand these things.

THANK YOU TO QECE !  I thought you all had gone 'Stumm', down there - !

And then...regarding planting Eucalypts...may literally be playing with fire, I have to warn !  And as you most likely know then igniting a flame close to an Eucalypt in hot weather...MIGHT EASILY CAUSE AN EXPLOSION WHEN THIS FLAME START TO IGNITE THE OIL-VAPOUR SURROUNDING THE EUCALYPTUS-LEAVES.  And then there is also the risk that these Eucalypts starts to seed, naturalize and eventually becomes invasive & 'A Problem', too.

However, I note that this tropical Indian Willow, Salix tetrasperma, occurs naturally in Thailand : This is an adaptable tree which thrives in wet soils but also is able to shed its leaves an 'Go Deciduous' during dry periods. And its mid-winter flowers are cherished by the Bees, I believe.

And then I am at a loss to find any useful information about 'Thai Bamboos For Wet Soils',- and only hope that "someone clever" will sometime soon start looking into this matter, down there ! And then I only know that a locally grown species of Timber-bamboo, Bambusa beecheyana, apparently was the best Bamboo to survive some recent flooding-events, down there.

But if you don'r mind 'Going Exotic' then certain Chinese Phyllocladus Bamboos - most notably 'The Water-bamboo', Phyllocladus heteroclada - are recommended for wet soil-culture in Europe,- and as this species has also been found down to Southern Yunnan, perhaps you may even be able to grow it in the lowland-parts of Thailand, too ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One could easily spend a couple lifetimes studying and researching the extended dynamic that is SE Asian flora. The incredible and outstanding variety that are local/regional native is truly aspiring. Not to mention the introduced species from wherever.....