News Forum - Driver who blocked van at Phuket pier: “We are NOT taxi mafia”

Thaiger

A scuffle between taxi drivers at the Rassada Pier in Phuket on Friday, with three female and one male tourist trapped in the middle, has taxi drivers at the pier arguing that they are not mafia. The travellers had just returned from Koh Phi Phi just after 10am and had chosen not to grab their transportation from the stand at the pier, reportedly after the word “mafia” was used in connection with the taxis queued there. The group instead walked 50 metres and hopped in a registered commercial passenger van with yellow license plates that confirm legality before an enraged […]

The story Driver who blocked van at Phuket pier: “We are NOT taxi mafia” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Until government authorised metered taxis are enforced this problem with rude rippoff taxi drivers will continue . It's a beautiful island Phuket shame it's a on going rippoff. 

• Like 5

If Phuket's taxi 'mafia' actually provided service at honest pricing and without hassle the other ride-hailing services would not have flourished.

Phuket's Taxi and tuk tuk mafia are a disgrace.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

If Phuket's taxi 'mafia' actually provided service at honest pricing and without hassle the other ride-hailing services would not have flourished.

Phuket's Taxi and tuk tuk mafia are a disgrace.

Overpriced thugs

Me and my kids at Phuket airport walked away from the touts coming right into the exit area ( I really hate them) and walked left and about a football field over to where the metered taxis were and got one of them as was so uncomplicated and easy. Price was fine as meter going from there to Patong. No problem what so ever and 250 baht cheaper than the touts. But Mafia on Phuket in some tourist areas, absolutely is a 100% yes and they are a bunch of B-turds. 

• Like 5

Lol:"He complained about ride-hailing mobile apps that he says steal their customers, often offering lower fares that are not legal. "

Not legal?

There is no "not legal" fare UNDER the maximum price for a ride to a location! All prices, that are shown on these "chartered fare" price lists, which should be the official permitted prices, are open to negotiation. Meaning: EVERY PRICE BELOW is legal. 

Koh-Sirae.thumb.jpg.e9ebe6738ce3842ab72489ce9af82684.jpg

And the "not-mafia" but "VIP" group is knowing that, just they wanna have this price lists seen as MINIMUM prices. 

Couldn't find one from Rassada Pier, but Koh Sirey price list should do, all others on Phuket should have the same hint. Just often only in Thai or the lower part of the list removed/blocked

• Like 1

this menace is there in every country, the tourism police should step in before such awkward incidents happen before tourists.

Tourists carry many good memories and such incidents of bad memories are worth enough being spread by the tourist, in gross this spoils the tourist spot name.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Me and my kids at Phuket airport walked away from the touts coming right into the exit area ( I really hate them) and walked left and about a football field over to where the metered taxis were and got one of them as was so uncomplicated and easy. Price was fine as meter going from there to Patong. No problem what so ever and 250 baht cheaper than the touts. But Mafia on Phuket in some tourist areas, absolutely is a 100% yes and they are a bunch of B-turds. 

There is taxi ans tuk tuk mafia in Phuket for sure

But I don't think there is much of an issue at the airport, if at all

Touts are going to ask in most airports in SEA

I prefer the limo desk because much nicer cars and more professional 

But the fact you can walk and get a metered taxi is proof there really isn't taxi mafia at the airport 

My wife had a van pick her up because there were 8 people 

No issues

Now once inside Phuket

Yeah, they been a problem for a long time 

Yet another bad story about the taxis in Phuket, this ongoing problem has become worse as tourism has grown over the years, it's shameful and leaving many tourist with bad memories and yet it's seems the authorities are powerless or just not bothered to address the problem. Take a look at Singapore where the taxis are run in a very  professional manner unlike Phuket where many of the so called taxis are driven by boy racers in their modified cars with aftermarket exhausts, spoilers and wide wheels. I feel sorry for the few genuine taxi drivers who are trying to make an honest living knowing that Phuket's taxi drivers (and mini vans) have such a bad reputation. 

There is always economical transport available. All one need to do is just be patient and look around. Don't entertain these taxi drivers who are waiting to rip the innocent tourists. 

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

There is taxi ans tuk tuk mafia in Phuket for sure

But I don't think there is much of an issue at the airport, if at all

Touts are going to ask in most airports in SEA

I prefer the limo desk because much nicer cars and more professional 

But the fact you can walk and get a metered taxi is proof there really isn't taxi mafia at the airport 

My wife had a van pick her up because there were 8 people 

No issues

Now once inside Phuket

Yeah, they been a problem for a long time 

I hate touts anywhere and at all airports. But I have to give credit when due as the metered taxi was A-OK. This was my first trip back to Phuket in about 20 years, so things had drastically changed as almost unrecognisable. We just had chose different places to visit rather than go to Phuket until now.. Back in the day we had the experience of them and also threating you if you parked your bike or rented car beachside. Horendous A-Holes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

I hate touts anywhere and at all airports. But I have to give credit when due as the metered taxi was A-OK. This was my first trip back to Phuket in about 20 years, so things had drastically changed as almost unrecognisable. We just had chose different places to visit rather than go to Phuket until now.. Back in the day we had the experience of them and also threating you if you parked your bike or rented car beachside. Horendous A-Holes.

Funny enough....

I met my wife and Phuket and then we travelled all around

And I enjoy all of Thailand and I always make an effort to see places I haven't seen before( hitting Koh Lipe, Koh Lanta this next trip)

But as we get older, we end up going back to Phuket more and more 

My wife is not the best traveller so it's the easiest option from Bangkok and I have a lot of close expat friend there 

Once retired we will live in Village but fo month stays in Phuket and maybe Samui 

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Funny enough....

I met my wife and Phuket and then we travelled all around

And I enjoy all of Thailand and I always make an effort to see places I haven't seen before( hitting Koh Lipe, Koh Lanta this next trip)

But as we get older, we end up going back to Phuket more and more 

My wife is not the best traveller so it's the easiest option from Bangkok and I have a lot of close expat friend there 

Once retired we will live in Village but fo month stays in Phuket and maybe Samui 

My wife is now a terrible traveler with me being without the kids (not exact same interests, but the biggest is I sort of like to go go go [not bars!], and I like to drink), so now I tend to do it with my kids and friends who visit me from the US, but my friends have been primarily motorcyle mountain 3-4 day excursions. But totally fun fun fun. Don't get me wrong, I probably will take the kids next year again starting in Phuket (direct flight from CM) but first go directly to Kata or Karon. No more Patong for me ever, that is unless it is with a friend. Kata and Karon are lovely places and have great beaches within a motorcyle drive. Then from there go to other islands via boat. 

Anyway, we have 2 dogs and someone now needs to stay with them at home, so if she wanted to go traveling with the kids then I would stay home. Can't do that to the dogs as leaving them alone or with someone who is a stranger friend from the outside, so unless just going to Bangkok and then easy drive from there to Jomtien or a little tasd bit more south that is dog friendly with beaches, then cannot take them with us. Our other problem is my girl French Bulldog normally has an attitude towards other dogs. sort of a David against Golliath complex so we need to rein her in then she calms down.

So, woudld and will I go to Phuket again as in next year? Yes. And would I take an airport taxi meter again? Absolutely. Everywhere else are rented bikes.

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

My wife is now a terrible traveler with me being without the kids (not exact same interests, but the biggest is I sort of like to go go go [not bars!], and I like to drink), so now I tend to do it with my kids and friends who visit me from the US, but my friends have been primarily motorcyle mountain 3-4 day excursions. But totally fun fun fun. Don't get me wrong, I probably will take the kids next year again starting in Phuket (direct flight from CM) but first go directly to Kata or Karon. No more Patong for me ever, that is unless it is with a friend. Kata and Karon are lovely places and have great beaches within a motorcyle drive. Then from there go to other islands via boat. 

Anyway, we have 2 dogs and someone now needs to stay with them at home, so if she wanted to go traveling with the kids then I would stay home. Can't do that to the dogs as leaving them alone or with someone who is a stranger friend from the outside, so unless just going to Bangkok and then easy drive from there to Jomtien or a little tasd bit more south that is dog friendly with beaches, then cannot take them with us. Our other problem is my girl French Bulldog normally has an attitude towards other dogs. sort of a David against Golliath complex so we need to rein her in then she calms down.

So, woudld and will I go to Phuket again as in next year? Yes. And would I take an airport taxi meter again? Absolutely. Everywhere else are rented bikes.

Similar situation 

We just bought a house in Nonthaburi and my wife just wants to spend time there 

So I now travel with my stepson and tell him to invite his friends 

We also have a similar situation with my dog

He's 11yrs old now

I would like to spend 3mos a year in Thailand(2mos working and 1 mos holiday)

And we have a great place he stays

But at 11yrs old, we are reluctant to miss him for 3 mos every year of the years he has left 

On 9/4/2022 at 2:30 PM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Always drive myself in Phuket, far easier and less hassle. 

The cost of a couple of rides will probably fill my tank

Yes, less hassle sometimes, but this means  one cannot consume alcohol when you go out ever.

Just as there are thugs who run transport  in Phuket tourist zone, so too is the case of parking. During high season, very difficult if not impossible to find parking to eat at restaurants in Karon or Kata. Easier to take common transport and no worries about having a few glasses of wine.  This is the difference with destinations like Hua Hin or even the much maligned Pattaya. Always an affordable tuk tuk around, or songthaew.

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Similar situation 

We just bought a house in Nonthaburi and my wife just wants to spend time there 

So I now travel with my stepson and tell him to invite his friends 

We also have a similar situation with my dog

He's 11yrs old now

I would like to spend 3mos a year in Thailand(2mos working and 1 mos holiday)

And we have a great place he stays

But at 11yrs old, we are reluctant to miss him for 3 mos every year of the years he has left 

They are your family. 

10 hours ago, Vigo said:

Yes, less hassle sometimes, but this means  one cannot consume alcohol when you go out ever.

Just as there are thugs who run transport  in Phuket tourist zone, so too is the case of parking. During high season, very difficult if not impossible to find parking to eat at restaurants in Karon or Kata. Easier to take common transport and no worries about having a few glasses of wine.  This is the difference with destinations like Hua Hin or even the much maligned Pattaya. Always an affordable tuk tuk around, or songthaew.

I never drink and drive in Thailand. Been busted twice by the RTP for that....😃😝. My wife will always drive us home and she doesn't drink.

Never really found any problems with parking in Phuket but that could be to do with where we go. If we stay in Patong we'll leave the car at the hotel and walk out at night, and in other places never had an issue. 

Do the pier taxis have yellow plates? Meters? If yes, they are legal but if no, they are nothing but a gang of rip-off merchants. Which one is it?

If they are illegal, who, in local government, is profiting by allowing them to continue?

On 9/5/2022 at 7:47 AM, Alwasel said:

"yet it's seems the authorities are powerless or just not bothered to address the problem"

I prefer to think it is more along the lines of the weight of the brown paper bag that is regularly dropped onto selected officials' desks that maintains this 'VIP service'.

Taxis at transport destinations are always tricky 

A lot are paying concessions to the pier/airport to be there

Others are waiting in a long line for the fares

I once took a taxi from one terminal ti another in the airport 

Not realizing I totally screwed the driver who would have been waiting in line to get a proper fare outside the airport 

That being said

If people want to walk outside and hail their own ride, that is up to them

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I once took a taxi from one terminal ti another in the airport 

Sound like Manilla airport if meeting a friend on another incoming flight. I understand the not so far distance, but sometimes we are not going that far from the aiport and that is our right as the customer. Maybe they should have 2 sets of ques, one for far and one for semi to short. I feel for them but alos fell foe me too. Normally I will go up and grab a taxi just dropping people off. Last time at Don Mueang I did that and is so easy. Only problem can be sometimes will be if you don't speak Thai you aint going no where. For me no problem but the reality is many don't speak Ungrish.