News Forum - Australian man kills 2 teens in Songkhla crash, another seriously injured

Thaiger

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

From experience in accident investigation (via volunteer work) I can assure you that a mb speeding along and under the shade when the errant driver glanced right (as would have been his 1st check, could easily have been missed* yet ended up in clear view (as seen in the pics) while the driver was looking left.

He should have looked right again as is normal practice for most of us from downunder.

*especially with sunnies and/or heavy tint.

I have always been interested in cause and effect with accidents since early age. I just actually viewed the video on another site because my spyware blocks most all Thaigre videos. It shows a bit more to the story but gives zero answers except he did stop and then went at the wrong time, and then the bike hit his vehicle and girls died. I do think he should have looked once more as already stated. That his how I taught my kids to drive, look 3-4 times or you might be really sorry. 

Granted it could have been shade but also could have been glare from the sun ( or both) depending on the position of the sun as was supposedly a bit before 3pm. Speed of the bike and driver negligence on both parts maybe? Will be interesting if we ever hear what truly happens and caused this misfortune. But I will reiterate with my kids again to always look left, right, left, right and be cautious. 
Cheers. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, reallyreal said:

I hope he goes  to prison for a long time. Was he a legal driver? Was he drunk? Was he ripped on ganja? Too many foreigners treat the roads  here as though they are part of  their holiday  experience. 

Obviously you where there to witness the accident and did the blood alcohol and drug  testing yourself on the driver 

Or maybe you were high jumper before as you are good at jumping at conclusions

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I have always been interested in cause and effect with accidents since early age. I just actually viewed the video on another site because my spyware blocks most all Thaigre videos. It shows a bit more to the story but gives zero answers except he did stop and then went at the wrong time, and then the bike hit his vehicle and girls died. I do think he should have looked once more as already stated. That his how I taught my kids to drive, look 3-4 times or you might be really sorry. 

Granted it could have been shade but also could have been glare from the sun ( or both) depending on the position of the sun as was supposedly a bit before 3pm. Speed of the bike and driver negligence on both parts maybe? Will be interesting if we ever hear what truly happens and caused this misfortune. But I will reiterate with my kids again to always look left, right, left, right and be cautious. 
Cheers. 

And don't always trust that youll have full view from the mirrors, turn your head too.

3 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

And don't always trust that youll have full view from the mirrors, turn your head too.

Given as an always. Whne using mirrors I actually lean forward and then more back inot the seat to try to see into the dead spot.

My wife complains me when I turn around (old School style) when backing up rather than only using the electronic screen in the car and truck. Yes I look, but then I look at everything as well. Just more cautious than most. I have driven quite a few large truck flatbeds and boxed in my day in the USA just using mirrors, but triple checking is going to save you and an accident or life.

• Like 1

Best guess, which is what we are all doing, is that the SUV driver is found predominantly at fault if not totally at fault.  Though there could be a case made for a lighter penalty if for instance the motorbike driver was not properly licensed, was speeding, or if all three girls weren't wearing the required helmets -  which might have altered the circumstances by resulting in zero fatalities.
As far as the comment about foreign drives, that just made me laugh.  Thailand, with a relatively small population of ~70M actually has some of the highest traffic fatalities in the world.  Thailand is also 97-98% Thai and those kind of traffic numbers don't come from 1-2% of the population.

5 hours ago, MikeTexas said:

As far as the comment about foreign drives, that just made me laugh. 

But foreigners do "adapt" to the Thai style, like riding motorcycle without a helmet is very common,  which i doubt they'd do in us or Europe. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 10:11 PM, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

But foreigners do "adapt" to the Thai style, like riding motorcycle without a helmet is very common,  which i doubt they'd do in us or Europe. 

Each state in the USA has its own law.  In Texas you are not required to wear a helmet unless you are a minor.  Sportbike riders tend to wear them, moped and cruiser riders are mixed between none and half shells mostly.  But riders in the USA tend not to wear sandals and our traffic laws are more stringent and more commonly enforced which can help reduce injuries and fatalities.  For instance you don't tend to see people driving down the shoulder of the road going into oncoming traffic.  Then of course there is the speed limits. 

Bikes tend to start at 500cc here as the limit on the freeway is 130kph which means divers are generally going faster.   I would imagine there might be even less helmet usage in the USA if speeds were considerably lower - not that it would be a good thing though.