News Forum - Pattaya hotel employee seriously injured from falling down elevator shaft

Thaiger

A South Pattaya hotel employee has been seriously injured after she fell down an elevator shaft last night. The hotel maid, 57 year old Daengtoi Makkhun, had been cleaning on the fourth floor of the Aya Boutique Hotel with another maid. She then tried to get to the first floor via a staff elevator that had manual doors, not automatic ones. Daengtoi accidentally took a step when the elevator was still between the third and second floors. She fell down in the gap, hit the elevator roof, and got stuck there. The elevator immediately stopped working, and it did not […]

The story Pattaya hotel employee seriously injured from falling down elevator shaft as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Don't worry Thailands Work and Safety Commission have it in hand and will thoroughly investigate how this tradgedy could happen and immediately remedy the relevant rules with follow up investigations in how these  have been implemented and adhered to, thus  preventing this ever happening again.

"WHAT? You say there is no such thing as a Thai Work and Safety Commission or similar such agency?"

"Yep - TIT"

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Don't worry Thailands Work and Safety Commission have it in hand and will thoroughly investigate how this tradgedy could happen and immediately remedy the relevant rules with follow up investigations in how these  have been implemented and adhered to, thus  preventing this ever happening again.

If humans were an endangered species, I might be suggestable to that idea, i.e. that an effort should be put into preventing any future, potential accidents from happening. However, they're not, and therefore I'm not. 

Accidents like this happen because people don't look where they step. People that look where they step don't have this kind of accidents. I'd much rather see Darwin's corollaries rule than an ever-increasing plethora of artificial rules aimed at protecting people from themselves. There's nothing personal about this; for example, I might stumble over a skewed pavement tile tomorrow and perhaps break a wrist, a jaw or just die on the spot. If so, I'll  just admonish myself for a lack of awareness.

• Like 1

Nearly happened to me a few years back, when I was doing moving IT kit back into a building that had just been refurbished. Thankfully I did actually notice that the doors had opened before the lift had arrived - but how many people are a bit dozy around lifts, how many people can say that they have never taken the scenic route because they walked into a lift without checking which way it was going first?  

• Like 1

The key here is that the lift had manual doors, implying that if the door lock mechanism failed, as it appears it might have done, then the doors could be opened when the lift was not there.

In normal automatic lift systems, the doors are usually (in fact I think always) driven by a motor ON the lift itself - so if the list is not parked at the floor, the doors can't open.